Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Sep 29, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #16 of 77
Thx for your observations! Yes, you can also tweak the Note 9 sound with software as well: upscale, tube amp filter, Dolby Atmos, and equalizer.

Its pretty close to the V30 for me...I have the 845 chip.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #17 of 77
Yeah it has some software tweaks as well but I don't personally use any off that except extremely minimal EQ adjustment. When reading around the internet supposedly the Exynos version has superior audio compared to the Qualcomm version but there's no way for me to confirm that seing as only the Exynos is being sold in my region.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #18 of 77
I came from the Galaxy S7 to the Galaxy Note 9 (both Exynos based) and it is indeed a very good sounding phone. The stereo separation is much better on the Note 9 and more importantly they've upped the gain quite a lot. With the Galaxy S7 I had to go one click beyond the "you're listening at a too loud volume" warning to get decent pressure (8 of 10 on that old dial scale) with my Sennheiser M2 in-ears, while the Galaxy Note 9 only has to be cranked up to around 40% before they get really loud. I also get the impression that sound clarity is much improved. Any tweaking with the equalizer seems to have a much clearer effect on the sound.
I listen to FLAC music. Mostly 16-bit/44kHz but I do buy 24-bit from time to time, where there is a bargain at one of the online stores.

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #19 of 77
I have now listened a lot and carefully on music with my Note 9 in headphones and I can honestly say I prefer the sound to the G7 that I have sold. It seems better tuned. In comparison the G7 sounded a little "muffled" and layed back highs/mids. The Note 9 has clearer sound so I hear things I quite did not hear with the G7 and the overall clarity is better. Also the seperation of instruments/sounds really appears better too on the Note 9 and it just sucks me in while listening to music giving me goosebumps many times because the sounds sound like they come from far away and not the headphones themselves even to a greater deegree than with the G7. I'm highly impressed what Samsung has done compared to their earlier phones.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #20 of 77
Hey guys,

Considering this vs v40. Currently have v30. While I like the DAC, in reality I use it with my Sony Xm3 via ldac. I use power amp and EQ to my liking. Via BT, will there be any different between how these phones sound? All Oreo android systems have Ldac, and I know there is a DAC in the headphones.

Thanks for your help

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #21 of 77
Hey guys,

Considering this vs v40. Currently have v30. While I like the DAC, in reality I use it with my Sony Xm3 via ldac. I use power amp and EQ to my liking. Via BT, will there be any different between how these phones sound? All Oreo android systems have Ldac, and I know there is a DAC in the headphones.

Thanks for your help

Bluetooth, by design, bypass the DAC and amp inside the phone and rely on dittos in headphones as the sound is digital all up to the headphones.

Oct 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #22 of 77
I have now listened a lot and carefully on music with my Note 9 in headphones and I can honestly say I prefer the sound to the G7 that I have sold. It seems better tuned. In comparison the G7 sounded a little "muffled" and layed back highs/mids. The Note 9 has clearer sound so I hear things I quite did not hear with the G7 and the overall clarity is better. Also the seperation of instruments/sounds really appears better too on the Note 9 and it just sucks me in while listening to music giving me goosebumps many times because the sounds sound like they come from far away and not the headphones themselves even to a greater deegree than with the G7. I'm highly impressed what Samsung has done compared to their earlier phones.
I wish I had the Exynos version because the Qualcomm version doesnt quite sound as you describe.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 77
Bluetooth, by design, bypass the DAC and amp inside the phone and rely on dittos in headphones as the sound is digital all up to the headphones.

That's what I thought, but I have heard people say this not that device sounds better over BT. Wasn't sure if there was anything to that other than codec availability.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #24 of 77
That's what I thought, but I have heard people say this not that device sounds better over BT. Wasn't sure if there was anything to that other than codec availability.
I don't use BT myself but I think there can be differences between phones because I often see people saying "this sounds better than that" even though both phones have Ldac support. But I wouldn't know really as I always listen plugged in.

Oct 13, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #25 of 77
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #26 of 77
I don't use BT myself but I think there can be differences between phones because I often see people saying "this sounds better than that" even though both phones have Ldac support. But I wouldn't know really as I always listen plugged in.

That's really my question as I have read that as well. With LDAC, and good HP, it is nearly as good as plugged in, to a phone anyway. My use is gym and office which require that I be mobile and can make calls on it. BT is my only practical option.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #27 of 77
It can't sound different on different phones if you use the same playback settings and wireless transfer protocols / compression. If LDAC sounds different on different phones Sony has some 'splaining to do regarding how the codec works as they claim it's lossless up to 24-bit / 96 kHz.
Regarding whether bluetooth potentially can sound as good as a pair of wired headphones, it really depends on the quality of the headphone's DAC, amp and the drivers. It's very unlikely that a pair of bluetooth headphones has a battery larger than a few hundred mAh, because batteries weighs a lot. That limitation means they basically has to use as efficient drivers and amps as possible. Generally speaking that means less accurate sound as lower impedance drivers generally are less accurate. At least if you compare them with the same production method.

Anyhoo, I think this is an irrelevant discussion on a Note 9 sound quality thread. :)

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #28 of 77
Again, I'm just going off hat people have said. If the BT doesnt sound any different from phone to phone, I'm inclined to get the Note 9 over the LG v40.

I had the note 5 last and liked it well enough, though it was a brick at the end of 20 months. My v10 did hold up better.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #29 of 77
Again, I'm just going off hat people have said. If the BT doesnt sound any different from phone to phone, I'm inclined to get the Note 9 over the LG v40.

I had the note 5 last and liked it well enough, though it was a brick at the end of 20 months. My v10 did hold up better.
I've never had a Samsung that's turned into a "brick" and I've been fairly loyal since the Samsung Jet back in the days (the original AMOLED phone).
Anyways, please understand for the fifth time, this is about the Note 9, not bluetooth headphones and how those work. You'll have to wait a few more years to get great sound out of bluetooth no matter what brand you pick, due to the limitations I mentioned above. Headphone manufacturers are getting better at building low impedance headphones, but the kicker there is, it improves equally on the slightly more power hungry wired headphones. I mean, you can get planar magnetic headphones working with mobiles today. That's nothing to sneer at! :)

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #30 of 77
Duck, I am specifically talking about the Note 9, and if it may sound different, for whatever reason, from the V40. I am not talking about headphones alone. Obviously, a different pair of cans sounds different. I am only seeking to answer the question if there is any real reason why a BT signal from phone to phone would be impacted by any hardware. Whlle what I know would lead me to say no, various folks on the head fi forum have suggested as much. I am inclined toward the Note 9, but want to make sure I don't lose any audio quality in the process. That doesn't seem out of line to me.

BTW, I did have the Note version 1-5 (maybe 4), and they were not bad, but at the end of their cycle, they had awful battery life and worked like crap. My last 2 Lg's seem to be holding up better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back