Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Jan 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #721 of 756
  Use USB Audio Player Pro. It reads m4a. Assuming you want to use the DAC functionality of the Fiio you will need a cable that is OTG compatible and can connect through the usb ports on each device.

Thanks. I did buy a OTG as well. I forgot to mention that! 

EDIT: Found out that iTunes uses .m4a extension for ALAC and AAC. Am I g about managing my music the best way for using my Note 4 as my DAP? 

Method:
Copy whole folder from iTunes Music Library and paste it into my micro sd card on the Note 4? Then, when updating it just "skip" files existing already so I do not have duplicates?

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #722 of 756
Ok, I am officially apologies to Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Exynos+Wolfson) DAC about it sound quality :xf_eek:. I hated it because virtually every app I used to play it back, even with root and Viper4android, it sucked.

Today I found Poweramp Alpha, which only available through download from url directly, it is so "freaking good" with Note 4 Exynos....wowwww

I am impressed, and I played around with it for a couple hours, and I have to say that I apologize because I was so disappointed before, so I always talked bad about note 4 Exynos. Don't blame me, because the potentials were not brought out until now.

Quick, if anyone have a Note 4 Wxynos with Wolfson, you will have to do yourself a favor and download "Poweramp Alpha". I tried this on 2 devices ZX2 and Note 4, and this app totally bring these devices into another level. Most importantly is the Exynos note 4. I have a little doubt toward Note 4 Snapdragon due to it SOHC, but you can try.

Wow....!

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #723 of 756
Ok, I am officially apologies to Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Exynos+Wolfson) DAC about it sound quality
redface.gif
. I hated it because virtually every app I used to play it back, even with root and Viper4android, it sucked.

Today I found Poweramp Alpha, which only available through download from url directly, it is so "freaking good" with Note 4 Exynos....wowwww

I am impressed, and I played around with it for a couple hours, and I have to say that I apologize because I was so disappointed before, so I always talked bad about note 4 Exynos. Don't blame me, because the potentials were not brought out until now.

Quick, if anyone have a Note 4 Wxynos with Wolfson, you will have to do yourself a favor and download "Poweramp Alpha". I tried this on 2 devices ZX2 and Note 4, and this app totally bring these devices into another level. Most importantly is the Exynos note 4. I have a little doubt toward Note 4 Snapdragon due to it SOHC, but you can try.

Wow....!

I have a Note 4 Exynos here, downloading Poweramp Alpha now
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #725 of 756
Interesting.  In a  PhoneArena article on Lollipop support for DACs, They paired an AudioEngine D1 to several phones.  They found that it would not work with the Nexus 6 or  Sony Xperia Z3.  They surmised that the usb port on those phones did not provide enough power for the DAC.   They found the Galaxy Note4 , S5 and a couple of older phones with Android 4.3 and 4.4 did work.  The interesting thing and the part of the article relevant to this discussion, is that they did not notice a big difference in sound on the Note4 when using the external DAC.  This would seem to indicate that the DAC on the Note 4 is of a better quality.  The article does not specify whether the Note 4 in their test has the Wolfson chip.    In another article, (circa April, 2013) I read that Samsung  is putting Wolfson chips in all of their new phones.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #727 of 756
I used my note 4 with my mojo and build it like the one on this link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749336/the-ultimate-dap-512gb-storage-10-000mah-battery-features-of-note-4-32bit-382khz-dsd-wi-fi-support

Apr 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #728 of 756
I don't agree with you in that snapdragon version note 4 is using the integrated dac on the soc. Because the integrated dac would not support ambient OK google voice command. That ambient mic always on feature is only possible with the discrete wolfson wm5110 dac. If you search for the wolfson 5110 dac, it will show news that samsung and wolfson cooperate with each other to implement wolfson dac in their new handset to realize ultra low power alway on voice command. It consumes less than 1 percent of battery from stay on for 24 hours. The wolfson wm5110 dac is comprised of 4 processing unit. Some of them stays on all the time for processing signal from mic which enables voice command even the screen is off with ultra low power. I am using snapdragon 805 version note 4, yet I am able to realize off screen hello google comman, which point to the fact that a ultra low power dac is present in my unit. It is exactly the wm5110. Sony smartphones running snapdragon 801 Soc even don't have hello google on any screen function, they have to push the microphone icon in order to ignite it. Note 4 can use hello google command in any screen. If this is not the magic of wm5110 dac, then what it is?

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #729 of 756
Hey, everyone.

I'm looking for a big-screened Android phone with a removable battery, a flat back and excellent audio quality, so I narrowed my choice down to the Note 4 and the LG V10, but I prefer the Note 4 because I can get it refurbished for about $200 cheaper.

Three questions:
1) How is the audio quality straight from the phone? At times, I'll be pairing it with my Audeze Sine.

I'm looking for something better than my HTC One M8 when I don't want to carry my Mojo/Galaxy S4 stack around.

2) How close is the Note 4 to the LG V10, so-wise? I prefer a detailed, neutral, fast presentation.

3) Does the Note 4 play nicely with the Mojo and the UAPP app?

Thanks in advance!

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #730 of 756
I say go for the LG v10. It packed far more features with far more premium and robust build quality. I am using a note 4 right now and I am tempted to update to LG V10. It totally worth the more 200 bucks. Thanks.

May 15, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #732 of 756
Ok, I am officially apologies to Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Exynos+Wolfson) DAC about it sound quality
redface.gif
. I hated it because virtually every app I used to play it back, even with root and Viper4android, it sucked.

Wow....!

Just downloaded the Poweramp Alpha as you suggested.
Can't wait to get home and test it with my Note 4 Exynos Octacore Version.
I too was deeply  disappointed with my device's SQ despite the allegedly superior performance Note 4 features... For that reason, I have been using ether my Note with my DF 1.0 attached or my DX90 when out and about.

My note 4 reproduces music only when using it with my Bluetooth headphones. Hope now this is going to change after your very promising post.

Cheers.

May 18, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #733 of 756
I have a Note 4 Verizon.  I assume this is the Snapdragon version. N910V (I think its the Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 APQ8084 Pro / Krait 450)
Is this the right website for Poweramp Alpha for my build and CPU?
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/max-mp/poweramp/poweramp-alpha-build-703-play-release/poweramp-alpha-build-703-play-android-apk-download/

I already had Poweramp installed and it looks like it just updated the existing version to 703..is that right?
Also, I am using my Note 4 for my boat.  I am going from Note 4 to a portable headphone amp to get a better sound and more quality volume.  Something like the FIIO E12??
Is that what you guys would use?  I was just going to use the analog out (3.5 mm)  of the Note 4 to a portable amp since I am reading the DAC in the Note 4 was pretty good, but open to suggestions.   The rest of the boat is all JL Audio 770's, 10 " subs, amps.

May 18, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #734 of 756
So here is what I am thinking of doing....
Note 4 (Verizon w/Snapdragon CPU) out to Dragonfly v.1.2 DAC (I already had it lying around) to a FIIO E12 out to boat stereo.
Would that be a good setup? or am I going to have massive battery drain?  I play music for 6 hours straight.

May 20, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #735 of 756
  So here is what I am thinking of doing....
Note 4 (Verizon w/Snapdragon CPU) out to Dragonfly v.1.2 DAC (I already had it lying around) to a FIIO E12 out to boat stereo.
Would that be a good setup? or am I going to have massive battery drain?  I play music for 6 hours straight.

you don't need the fiio e12 in your chain. Note4>dragonfly>boat stereo would be sufficient enough if the dradonfly has an aux out jack.or if your boat stereo has a usb input, you could try a usb otg cable to connect your phone to the boat's stereo. hth's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back