Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Oct 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #181 of 726
Roadtrip, are you referring to a Qualcom or Exinos version of Note 3? Because our statements about sound volume seem to be contradicting.

I am so sorry for forgetting to mention that. It's quite essential information. I am using the Qualcom model, the SM-N9005 sold in Europe. That might also be of influence, for a long time our iPods were volume limited due to European law.

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #182 of 726
Can you use Nuforce uDAC2 with the Note 3? I don't see why USB audio cannot be enabled with Cyanogen mod. didn't we try and make Google enable USB audio with Jellybean and they basically screwed us over? WHY can't they enable full USB audio support? what could possibly be the reason for not doing so with ALSA? it's Linux for goodness sakes! 

I just don't understand it. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #183 of 726
  I am so sorry for forgetting to mention that. It's quite essential information. I am using the Qualcom model, the SM-N9005 sold in Europe. That might also be of influence, for a long time our iPods were volume limited due to European law.

So now is it confirmed officially that the Note 3 N9005 have the Qualcomm dac? Or we are still supposing it...?

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #185 of 726
I have always been under the impression that only Exinos versions of Galaxy line-up could feature Wolfson DACs as Qualcom has its own. Now, that this subject is brought up, I just can't say where I got this idea from, although I've been sure 100% about it. I also thought that both DACs are very close in performance (although Wolfson has some magic about its name, of course).

Anyway, the official version here is the Exinos one, aka 9000. We won't have LTE till Kingdom Come and 4K video on a phone seems gimmicky to me. On the plus side the word "copyright" is somewhat strange here so a good audio player is just what the doctor ordered and that is where a Wolfson DAC comes in. Samsung's marketing knows its stuff well LOL.

Though usually there are a lot of unofficial models on the market, with the recent region lock introduced by Samsung the inflow of 9005 has stopped (until dealers find a way to bypass it, I suppose) so there's no way for me to sample the sound of it. LG G2 has the same Qualcom chipset but I doubt the comperison would be fair.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #188 of 726
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #189 of 726
Well time to let the Wolfson=good Qualcomm=doom marketing gibberish die a quick death. It's all about the implementation.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #190 of 726
I received yesterday my new Sennheiser Momentum and i can only confirm the initial impressions. The sound is amazing. More detail and clean even than my Sansa Clip (that i could feel some distortions sometimes...). Very neutral and balanced, the Momentum are driven perfectly (only 18 impedance...).
The next step will be to try that volume mod and check if any better. But im satisfied of the volume even like this...
N9005

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #191 of 726
Well time to let the Wolfson=good Qualcomm=doom marketing gibberish die a quick death. It's all about the implementation.

I would love to see it also. But to date, I have not seen "implementation" that worked. The much-hyped audio of LG G2 was better than most, but not as nice as my Wolfson GS3 head to heard. I hated to return it, but I did. Maybe with different headphones... but...

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #192 of 726
As far as I can surmise, the question that hasn't been answered is this: whether every iteration of the Note 3 uses the Qualcomm or just some of them. A teardown of one iteration of the Note 3 doesn't necessarily mean that every model is the same.

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #193 of 726
nooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooo. Oh well. So far GNote 3 seems more detailed than my F807 now :). Hearing some stuff I haven't heard for the past ~year w/ the Walkman.

I don't get it... If it sounds good, then why does it matter if 'Wolfson' isn't stamped on the IC inside?

Vote with your ears, not the spec sheet, for good or bad...

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #194 of 726
I don't get it... If it sounds good, then why does it matter if 'Wolfson' isn't stamped on the IC inside?

Vote with your ears, not the spec sheet, for good or bad...

Because Wolfson has a better ring to my ear than Qualcomm :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #195 of 726
My s3 have wolfson but I prefer the "bad" qualcomm on my note 3 and not a bit ...
My note 2, now gone in other hand, had the wolfson but I like more and more the qualcomm in note 3.
:) :)
Ciao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back