Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Oct 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #151 of 726
I wasn't expecting this.

It seems unusual for us not to have conclusive specs on the various iterations of Note 3s available throughout the world.  Usually by this time, we know which models have what DACs, let alone the highest available level of audio resolution.

Personally, I'm disinclined to go out and buy a Note 3 until I have a lot more information.  I might also wait to see whether 24/96 actually is crippled and, if so, whether there's a fix on XDA and whether it applies to every model or just one.

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #153 of 726
Yes, I'm familiar with Supercurio and follow him not only on twitter but on Google+ (though perhaps he'll post less with the new privacy settings).

I'd still like a definitive answer on the specs for each of the iterations of Note 3 before spending $700 and I doubt I'm the only one.

I'll probably wait on the Note 3 and pick it up in about a year, when the deals are good and we know exactly what we're getting.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #154 of 726
  Yes, I'm familiar with Supercurio and follow him not only on twitter but on Google+ (though perhaps he'll post less with the new privacy settings).

I'd still like a definitive answer on the specs for each of the iterations of Note 3 before spending $700 and I doubt I'm the only one.

I'll probably wait on the Note 3 and pick it up in about a year, when the deals are good and we know exactly what we're getting.

Because I wasn't too sure on this myself (the specs) and the lack of any detailed analysis/comparison of the sound, I've gotten the 5S instead haha. Usually What Hifi would have a little snippet on the sound quality, but they apparently weren't allowed to use their own headphones or music when testing the note 3.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #157 of 726
I have this phone since 4 days and i can confirm that the audio quality (headphones, for me the speaker is absolutely not relevant...) is superb. Unfortunately i cannot compare with the Note 2 but i compared with an Iphone 5 and the Note 3 is better imho. It has more neutral sound, less ''artificial color'' and more ''true''. But im still curious to know which DAC is inside now (hehehe after 11 pages of discussion...).

Tomorrow i will start to enjoy my Note3's audio even better with the Sennheiser Momentum....

I will probably try to hack the volume with the mod on XDA....it's always good to have some more volume in case of ''necessity''.  Do you know if this mod will affect audio quality? (i mean i worst...)

My model is the N9005 with Snapdragon 800, bought from Germany.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #158 of 726
I got mine from the mail today, the phone and SQ did not disappoint me, the volume is fine for me, I don't even think I need the hack.

Oct 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #159 of 726
i have the mod on , the "very loud" one , on my ATH-M50 they sound fine even at max , but they are a tad too loud for me :p so i just lower the volume a bit :D . and just wondering if neutron is really worth buying , knowing that i always leave the eq as is

Oct 15, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #160 of 726
i have the mod on , the "very loud" one , on my ATH-M50 they sound fine even at max , but they are a tad too loud for me :p so i just lower the volume a bit :D . and just wondering if neutron is really worth buying , knowing that i always leave the eq as is

Neutron is very Good music Player , i play all flat like you , i Dont like play ini music With equilaiser .
Neutron is slighly breiter than Jet Audio plus
These Two Player are My favorite music Player

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #163 of 726
It would be cool if somebody could compare the output power of the Note 3 and an iPhone. I mean how many iPhone volume clicks are left when it matches the maximum output of the Note 3. Obviously i assume that any iPhone (even the 5) has a more powerful headphone out.

On a side note regarding the 24 bit issue i must confess that it is a moot discussion since Note 3 hardware could do (at best) 12 or 13 bits of resolution with THD, IMD and crosstalk masking any low level sounds beyond that.

On real world scenarios the biggest benefit of using 24 bit material is that usually it is better mixed and/or mastered than the 16 bit counterparts. But 24 bits on portable audio powered by batteries is more of marketing gimmick than anything else. IMHO.

24 bits are great for audio processing and for $tudio-like listening environments (treated rooms, expensive monitors, amps and all).

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #164 of 726
I've had mine for a week now and although the speaker is a travesty that shouldn't have make it past QA in modern consumer electronics,(It's actually physically uncomfortable to listen to in certain spots) the headphone out is quite excellent sounding. It will not drive power hungry headphones well though. I found even my CIEMs were missing some oomph when plugged in to the Note 3 if I wanted to pump up the volume, but that has been the case with most of my phones. Now I'm looking for a sleek cable to connect to the Centrance Hifi-M8.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #165 of 726

Because I wasn't too sure on this myself (the specs) and the lack of any detailed analysis/comparison of the sound, I've gotten the 5S instead haha.

I'm very curious about iO7 and the fact that USB audio seems suddenly to be enabled.  

Nothing wrong with Apple devices vs. Android; for actually composing music, I'd choose iOS for a number of reasons, the most important being lower latency, RTOS (for some inexplicable reason, Android's based on Linux rather than RTLinux) and -- drum roll -- exceptional HW/SW support from legacy pro music companies.  

And now back to our Galaxy S cleverphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back