Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
May 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #646 of 726
I'm fairly new to this hobby... But I can say that Note 3,unrooted, sucked as a source. Also, make sure you have the IEMS inserted correctly, it is a night and day difference when doing it correctly. I had zero bass response from IEMS that were supposed to sound amazing...they were not sitting in there correctly.

Sorry I can't offer much other advice. Some of the more knowledgeable people will help.

May 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #647 of 726
Thanks :) Btw, I just found a perfect fit, so the bass and volume problem is solved - sounds awesome! Will see about the isolation tomorrow when I get out. The noise problem is still there though :/

Amazing how Sennheiser don't give any more advice of different ways to get them to fit except for the one-way it was designed - which sucked for me. I just took the right earphone to my left ear and vice versa, with both cables downwards instead of over-ear.

May 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #649 of 726
Got a sound problem with my new Sennheiser IE80 for my Note 3, if anyone could help me out :frowning2:

After having only used those standard samsung J5 headphones that came with my galaxy note 3 phone (unrooted), I've finally bought my first expensive IEM in hopes to spoil myself - the Sennheiser IE80, from an authorized dealer for $320. But after these first days of burn-in I must say I'm kind of torn whether they are even worth the high price.

On the first listen I immediately heard the bigger soundstage which I ofcourse like but I'm pretty dissapointed with the lack of bass (even tuned to the highest and I can't hear any difference) but perhaps this can be fixed with a better seal. But then there's the worst thing that's a deal breaker for me, I've started to hear a white/static noise on every calm track, especially on orchestral music, which I'm hoping you other users can help me solve whether these are infact defected or not. I just can't listen to any of my soundtracks with this noise, so if this can't be fixed then I'm forced to return these headphones.

I'm not an audiophile so perhaps I've missed something, but here are some of my thoughts and questions:
1. All my tracks are mostly 320kbps mp3s and some flac, so it's not that the files lack quality or anything.
2. Are expensive IEMs really so clear that you can hear the white noise even more compared to cheaper IEMS? Before these headphones I never realised the noise on my cheaper ones.
3. The white noise is heard no matter what source I use: galaxy note 3 (stock/winamp/google players), my PC, my brother's PC and his iphone.
4. The bass is good if I put pressure on the earbuds to my eardrums, but without that pressure they sound too distant. (even tuned to highest and still can't hear any bass difference)
5. The isolation sucks because when cars drive by I can't hear the music on highest volume, even with finger pressure,
6. After having tried all tips, I settled with the normal sized tips that the IEMs already came installed with.
7. I'm not 100% sure yet, but the noise seems to be increased the higher the bass is tuned, although the noise is still a problem at lowest tuning.
8. Perhaps the noise is a sign of defect? Or cord related?
9. Perhaps these are even fake? I bought them from an authorized seller, but the package didn't come with a QR code so I can't really check the product's authenticity on sennheiser's website.

I can post pictures of the package and the headphones if anyone can help

It sounds to me like a defect. Definitely try to get them replaced. The lack of bass sounds like a seal problem but I don't know how good the IE80's are in the bass department.

May 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #651 of 726
Got a sound problem with my new Sennheiser IE80 for my Note 3, if anyone could help me out :frowning2:

After having only used those standard samsung J5 headphones that came with my galaxy note 3 phone (unrooted), I've finally bought my first expensive IEM in hopes to spoil myself - the Sennheiser IE80, from an authorized dealer for $320. But after these first days of burn-in I must say I'm kind of torn whether they are even worth the high price.

On the first listen I immediately heard the bigger soundstage which I ofcourse like but I'm pretty dissapointed with the lack of bass (even tuned to the highest and I can't hear any difference) but perhaps this can be fixed with a better seal. But then there's the worst thing that's a deal breaker for me, I've started to hear a white/static noise on every calm track, especially on orchestral music, which I'm hoping you other users can help me solve whether these are infact defected or not. I just can't listen to any of my soundtracks with this noise, so if this can't be fixed then I'm forced to return these headphones.

I'm not an audiophile so perhaps I've missed something, but here are some of my thoughts and questions:
1. All my tracks are mostly 320kbps mp3s and some flac, so it's not that the files lack quality or anything.
2. Are expensive IEMs really so clear that you can hear the white noise even more compared to cheaper IEMS? Before these headphones I never realised the noise on my cheaper ones.
3. The white noise is heard no matter what source I use: galaxy note 3 (stock/winamp/google players), my PC, my brother's PC and his iphone.
4. The bass is good if I put pressure on the earbuds to my eardrums, but without that pressure they sound too distant. (even tuned to highest and still can't hear any bass difference)
5. The isolation sucks because when cars drive by I can't hear the music on highest volume, even with finger pressure,
6. After having tried all tips, I settled with the normal sized tips that the IEMs already came installed with.
7. I'm not 100% sure yet, but the noise seems to be increased the higher the bass is tuned, although the noise is still a problem at lowest tuning.
9. Perhaps these are even fake? I bought them from an authorized seller, but the package didn't come with a QR code so I can't really check the product's authenticity on sennheiser's website.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the J5 earbuds...dare I say it... aren't that bad. I always use them at the gym to avoid damaging my more expensive iems and find their dual driver set up more than adequate. Especially since they can be bought for under a fiver. I'm on my third pair. Not suggesting in any way shape or form that they should be comparable to the IE80 though. They definitely have been faked though because they're available on all the "usual suspect" sites. Should be fine with an authorized seller though. The build quality is the usual give away (with the exception of the ue900's which are just made that way)

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #652 of 726
Hi everyone,

44 page thread is a little daunting for a noob question - sorry if this has been covered. I have a Note 3 and would like to connect it to my Outlaw RR2150 which has a USB-B input. How do you enable digital audio out on the Note 3? Will this pretty much plug and play?

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #653 of 726
  Hi everyone,

44 page thread is a little daunting for a noob question - sorry if this has been covered. I have a Note 3 and would like to connect it to my Outlaw RR2150 which has a USB-B input. How do you enable digital audio out on the Note 3? Will this pretty much plug and play?

You will need a USB OTG cable to connect them (a straight USB-micro USB adapter will not be sufficient, the wiring is different in a USB OTG adapter so that it triggers host mode in the Note 3).

Not familiar with that DAC so can't comment on whether it works with the Note 3 or not, someone else may be able to confirm whether it works. Depending on how compatible it is it may need a powered USB hub +/- the app USB Audio Player Pro in order to work, and even with those it may not work.

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #655 of 726
So, would this item (link) be a possible solution if I had a USB 2.0 typa a male to USB 2.0 type b male (my DAC input). Is this the connection configuration I would need (depending on if the DAC was compatible)?

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Female-Micro-Male-Adapter/dp/B004574Y7E

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #656 of 726
So, would this item (link) be a possible solution if I had a USB 2.0 typa a male to USB 2.0 type b male (my DAC input). Is this the connection configuration I would need (depending on if the DAC was compatible)?

http://www.amazon.com/Type-Female-Micro-Male-Adapter/dp/B004574Y7E
you don't need it to be USB 3.0. A USB 2.0 OTG adapter will do. Also, I suggest a short corded adapter rather than a solid adapter. The one you linked would stick out too much for me, and I'd end up breaking the adapter or my phones port in no time. I'm using a 90° angled USB 2.0 adapter with about 3" of cable before have a female usbA end to it. Then it use a 6" USB cable from there into my dac. With the angled adapter on the bottom of my phone, it only add about .75" to the bottom of my phone.

My angled USB 2.0 OTG adapter cost like $1.50 or $2 on amazon, and they are really everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00871Q5PI?

Jun 20, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #657 of 726
Hang on a minute - wait for point 2 below...

If you think it is bad on the IE80, the IE800 is terrible for this - revealing EVERY micro-problem with rips (especially since upgrading my amp!) - For the first little while I thought, like you, that my IEs were faulty, but - have just come to realise that there are a lot of poor quality CDs / masters / files out there, and - at this level, I have to live with it

How loudly do you listen, could it be amp noise (these IE's are quite sensitive) - or, what music do you listen to? - a LOT of music has inherent background noise from when recording, and you could just be hearing that for the first time (especially older / close vocal music)

Have you tried all the different tips included? - The silicon ones generally provide the least bass, and the comply / spongy tips - the most (although this is generally at the expense of treble)

To answer number 4 above, definitely a tip / fit issue - won't magically make it like you're in an isolation chamber, however - ill fitting tips will kill isolation AND bass

What made you pick these? comfort, isolation, tone? (will help to resolve 4 and 5 above, as all are related)

Oddball question, you're not sat right next to an air conditioner? - that bass port should have incredibly little to do with the white noise you're hearing, but - might as well explore all avenues seeing that I'm down to point 7...

A cord would either work all the time, or be intermittent (crackle in / out VERY obviously) - my own IE8 has a well worn jack plug, which means they are now a PITA to use without crackling / channel imbalance

QR codes don't mean anything too much, the IE80's are a few years old now, so it could be nothing more than that you have NOS (new old stock) - Other than the above points you've raised (and the lack of QR) is there anything that is ringing alarm bells - i.e. sound is tonally poor, more on one channel than the other, or otherwise, or - moreso a case of paranoia from your queries above?

Sorry, probably posed more questions than offered answers, however - hope it helps you to diagnose your potential issues...

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #658 of 726
For those of you who ran Viper4Android on the Note 2,

When going from Note 2 running Viper4Android to the Note 3 on Viper4Android, is there an audio quality difference?

Also anyone compared to the HTC One M8 (with or without Harmon Kardon and with or without Viper4Android)?

Thank you. I'm thinking about upgrading from my Note 2 but only for the sound quality and wondering if it's worth it.

Jul 7, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #659 of 726
I thought the note3 was good. Clear, enough, no hiss and did quite well with 320cbr and 16/44 or 48 FLAC'S. Rest assured the HTC m8 makes the note3 sound tinny. It's definitely more powerful, warmer sound which I happen to like and the headphone jack is on the bottom. Did not use to care about that but since getting my c5d it was cumbersome. More ergonomic when it's on bottom. I am comparing stock note3 to stock m8. I've tried sound mods in the past and they did nothing. Oh and one more thing. The m8 is so good you might start hearing more errors in recordings and white hiss. Not hiss like from a lousy amp but like the mic was too sensitive and you'll notice more 'background'. All that said, the note3 is still recommended as a DAP. I enjoyed it a lot. But I really am liking the m8 a lot more. Don't forget to turn off boomsound though. It might be enjoyable on 'some' hip hop and some bassy music with no vocals but it makes everything else sound like crap.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #660 of 726
I thought the note3 was good. Clear, enough, no hiss and did quite well with 320cbr and 16/44 or 48 FLAC'S. Rest assured the HTC m8 makes the note3 sound tinny. It's definitely more powerful, warmer sound which I happen to like and the headphone jack is on the bottom. Did not use to care about that but since getting my c5d it was cumbersome. More ergonomic when it's on bottom. I am comparing stock note3 to stock m8. I've tried sound mods in the past and they did nothing. Oh and one more thing. The m8 is so good you might start hearing more errors in recordings and white hiss. Not hiss like from a lousy amp but like the mic was too sensitive and you'll notice more 'background'. All that said, the note3 is still recommended as a DAP. I enjoyed it a lot. But I really am liking the m8 a lot more. Don't forget to turn off boomsound though. It might be enjoyable on 'some' hip hop and some bassy music with no vocals but it makes everything else sound like crap.

I've tried the M8 and I thought the exact opposite. I thought the M8 sounded boomy on the low-end and harsh on the high-end compared to the note 3. Mids were much more natural, yet a bit warm on the note 3. I do prefer the sound through a DAC/amp to either though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back