SAmsung galaxy note 2
Jul 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #436 of 471
Problem: Intermittent RF-like interference with USB audio streaming
Equipment: Galaxy Note2 connected via USB (OTG cable) to iBasso D-Zero

When streaming music (esp. Pandora), intermittently, annoying static will be introduced for a period which can vary from 5-30+ seconds. Sometimes, it will stop on its own and return to normal. Other times, I have to unplug the USB cable and reconnect. That will usually give me several minutes of clear music, but eventually, the interference/static problem recurs. When I have my headphones on, occasionally, the static jumps from one channel to the other! It reminds me of high-pitched radio interference; but, after much troubleshooting on my part, including Internet research, I have not been able to pinpoint a cause. If I connect the D-Zero to my laptop via standard USB cable, I can listen to streaming audio with no static. Similarly, if I plug my headphones directly into the Note2’s mini-jack, the music streams without incident. I also tried connecting the D-Zero to my wife's Galaxy S3 - no static or other interference problems at all! 

I wrote to iBasso asking if there could be a shielding problem with the USB audio cable, but they believe that the interference is most likely being generated by the phone itself. After my own testing, it seems likely that the Note2 is the culprit, but what could be causing the interference? An app? I have tried shutting down Bluetooth, GPS, Power Saving, Tasker, AVAST, and pretty much every other app that seemed a potential candidate. One post I read suggested that the pen stylus could be causing electromagnetic interference. Hmmm... I don't think that the problem is being caused by any other devices in my house (e.g., cordless phone, router, Roku), but I can't be certain. I have tried disconnecting everything I can think of; but, thus far, the only antidote I have found is to unplug the USB audio cable and reconnect it. 

I should mention that I have a ZeroLemon battery installed in this Note2, but it seems unlikely that it could be generating RF-like interference and only to the USB audio output stream. 

I am at wits end and would sure would appreciate help from this forum's experts. Any ideas or suggestions as to possible causes? 

Thanks, Ken

Try changing to "WCDMA only" mode for network settings....so far I find that causes the least amount of interference.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #437 of 471
Quote:
Try changing to "WCDMA only" mode for network settings....so far I find that causes the least amount of interference.

I looked through all available settings, but I don't see any option on the Galaxy Note2 (JB 4.1.2) to select "WCDMA" as a Network parameter. Where would I find such an option? 

Ken

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #438 of 471
Quote:
I looked through all available settings, but I don't see any option on the Galaxy Note2 (JB 4.1.2) to select "WCDMA" as a Network parameter. Where would I find such an option? 

Ken

What version do you have? (N7100, N7105, I317, T889...) Is it stock or custom ROM? Who is your carrier?

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #439 of 471
Quote:

I thought this was craziness when I read it a month ago, but now that I've moved off of Touchwiz (CleanROM Ace 4.9) and Perseus kernel to Beanstalk and N.E.A.K., I can hear it and it's *majorly* annoying. It's a short "hiss" that happens after any sound (even a notification). I've only found one thing that stops it: turn your phone to airplane mode. It gets dead silent with both the wi-fi and cellular radio turned off. 

That being said, I can't just run around with my phone unable to receive calls, so I'm going to try flashing Devil Kernel and a couple others praying that I get my previous silent headphone jack back. Otherwise, I may have to revert to my CleanROM Ace 4.9/Perseus for the time being. 

Edit: Thank you, Ganesha! My ears are saved. Devil Kernel got rid of the hiss completely. I'd recommend anyone that has the hiss to definitely try a kernel swap.

Edit 2: And no it's not. Once the headphone amp gets turned up, the hiss from the cellular radio is back -- unless it's in airplane mode. Reverting back to Perseus and CleanROM.

I don´t know about stock but on perseus I didn´t get any hiss whatsoever with over-ear headphones. Apparently this phone is sensitive to low impedance headphones, especially IEMs.

I am now moving from N7100 to T889 so I´ll report back because I could have any long listening session.

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #440 of 471
Quote:

What version do you have? (N7100, N7105, I317, T889...) Is it stock or custom ROM? Who is your carrier?

Model: Samsung SGH-I317
Carrier: AT&T
ROM: Stock (not rooted)

Thanks, Ken

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #442 of 471
Quote:
That's probably why you cannot choose the Network mode. I never had that phone but you might need a custom ROM to activate those options.

I went down that road once with a Galaxy S3 and almost bricked the phone. Fortunately, AT&T saved my bacon by resetting everything back to original condition. Yikes! Unless I were sure that my interference problem would be resolved, I would rather stay with the stock environment. 

Do you think I should create a new thread under Portable Source Gear? Maybe tacking this new issue onto an old thread wasn't the smartest idea... 

Thanks, Ken

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #443 of 471
I went down that road once with a Galaxy S3 and almost bricked the phone. Fortunately, AT&T saved my bacon by resetting everything back to original condition. Yikes! Unless I were sure that my interference problem would be resolved, I would rather stay with the stock environment. 

Do you think I should create a new thread under Portable Source Gear? Maybe tacking this new issue onto an old thread wasn't the smartest idea... 

Thanks, Ken

Ummmm, you can try...

It's weird what you mention. I thought it was almost impossible to brick a Samsung phone. I've been doing this for six years and never passed from a soft-brick.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #444 of 471
Aug 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #445 of 471
Well, I had to change my N7100 for a SGH-T889 due to the recent terrorism of AT&T with the prepaid accounts and I can confirm that my Fiio E07K connects flawlessly with it. Now I can enjoy the combo with my new AKG Q701 at my office. I supposed somebody might be interested on this.

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #447 of 471
I use mine with an odac + o2 at home as well, but for on the go purposes, there is a very cheap and easy solution to audible hiss with iem's.  I just picked up this $11, 33 ohm resistance adapter that was recommended over in the westone 4 thread: http://www.amazon.com/COWON-Liaail-Sound-Capsule-White/dp/B006WSSA6K .  As an added bonus, per rinchoi's measurements, this actually improves the W4's FR a bit.  What a relief to listen without audible noise on my way into work.

That said, it really is stupid that android phones are still plagued with hiss when apple managed to eliminate all noise from the original iphone, 7+ years ago. 

Otherwise, I love this phone.  Stock + Nova launcher works so well there's almost no reason to bother rooting.  That said, if you have an apple tv and are comfortable rooting, there is now an app ("airstream") that provides excellent airplay support to rooted android devices.  Being able to stream mog via airstream from my note 2 -> atv -> spdif -> marantz sr6003 -> crite modded klipsh klf-20's is really nice while making my espresso in the morning!   

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #449 of 471
I agree with you Johann, the Note2 with an output impedance lower than 1 ohm and a Wolfson DAC for the EU version, deserve very well IEM usage.
Personally I have installed Viper4android on a stock Samsung 4.3 ROM and I'm very satisfied with what I listen from this device.
If I have time I will also install voodoo in a second step 
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #450 of 471
Too bad the US version doesn't live up to the EU. I have to use an impedance adapter to deal with hiss when using my westone 4s.

Works well with otg usb, but I was disappointed with the Sq of my note relative to idevices that don't have any noise issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back