SAmsung galaxy note 2
Dec 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #136 of 471
Quote:
I hooked up my Samsung Note 2 to an OTG and hooked it up to my headstage USB DAC hooked to a heastage arrow 3 amp-->Sennheiser 650s.  I ran both poweramp and rocketplayer.  I have to say the sound was disappointing.  Not nearly as detailed as when the same rig is hooked up to my old ipod mini using line out.  Am I doing something wrong here?  The headstage USB DAC hooked up to any computer sounds incredible on the same setup.  Is the Android messing with the files before hitting the DAC?  I don't get it.  I was very disappointed but realize that I am a newb to Android.  Love the phone, can't even look at the tiny iphones anymore!!!!

Most USB DACs that are reported working here have been reported to sound the same as via a desktop/laptop to users here (including myself).

I wonder whether they is an issue of insufficient power supply, if you have access to a powered hub it would be worthwhile to try trouble-shooting that.

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #137 of 471
So I have myself a new Samsung Note 2 to pair with my Shure 535s. Love it. I have a few questions, and thought this place might be the right place. It has been a while since I posted here.

I have not been able to make Foobar write to the phone, and have done a fair bit of searching, Does anybody know how to do this? One of the reasons I got this was to move away from iTunes...

Since I cant get away from iTunes at the moment (I need something like smart play lists as my music collection is much bigger than the storage on my Note 2) I am using iSyncr, and it works well, if a little slow to scan my library, each and every time.

What I am looking for is a good Android player on my phone. The stock player doesnt do gapless, which makes it useless to me.

I was using Rocket Player for a while, and there are some things I like about it, but it crashes too often.

So the things I want from a player are:

Gapless

Equalizer, with preamp so I can turn the volume down to lower levels than are available on the stock player. I often fall asleep with my IEMs in and it is just a bit too loud on the first setting.

Full screen width album art, no point lugging around such a huge device if you cant use it. Rocket Player does this, but the stock player doesnt use the whole width.

Scrobbleable.

I would also like to be able to design my own skins, and Rockbox would be good for that, but it too crashes a little too often.

Suggestions? Ideas?

h

Dec 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #138 of 471
Poweramp.

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #141 of 471
I'll be getting one ASAP.

Wolfson is nice, but implementation probably won't be ideal like in the S3 (output impedance slightly too high for high sensitivity IEMs at ~3ohm, and likely quite high stereo crosstalk), best thing for me about audio is that it *should* support USB audio like the S3.

I should be getting an invite to the launch party a few weeks prior to release here, so will get a chance to put it through it's paces a little ahead of retail release all things going well.

Hi,

I'm just asking if I can see your comparison between the iPhone and s3. I have a iphone 5 and I'm thinking of selling.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #142 of 471
Quote:
I have not been able to make Foobar write to the phone, and have done a fair bit of searching, Does anybody know how to do this? One of the reasons I got this was to move away from iTunes...

Since I cant get away from iTunes at the moment (I need something like smart play lists as my music collection is much bigger than the storage on my Note 2) I am using iSyncr, and it works well, if a little slow to scan my library, each and every time.

What I am looking for is a good Android player on my phone. The stock player doesnt do gapless, which makes it useless to me.

I was using Rocket Player for a while, and there are some things I like about it, but it crashes too often.

So the things I want from a player are:
Gapless
Equalizer
Full screen width album art
Scrobbleable.

Android phones since ICS are MTP devices, you cannot access the file system directly so foobar2000 is a no go.
Also having just gotten a Jelly Bean phone, I must say Android is absolutely terrible as an iPod/iOS replacement.  Half the music players don't do Genre browsing, none of the music players do Composer browsing, none of the players support extended ID3 / iTunes tags like Sort Orders etc..  I'm shocked at how terrible the experience is (Windows Phone isn't any better from what I've read http://www.charlespetzold.com/blog/2010/05/Classical-Music-Being-Phased-Out.html )

I haven't tried the PowerAmp trial yet because from what I've searched, it won't hit all the checkboxes for me anyway.  Will be sticking to my iPod Touch 5 for music...

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #143 of 471
Don't know if anyone noticed but your can use this kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1927852 which comes with an application that lets you increase the internal amp for the Note 2. Basicly its an implementation of voodoo for the 4412 SOC.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #144 of 471
Quote:
Poweramp lets you pause without unlocking the screen plus the bass boost is very good, way better than Google Music in this regard (although streaming my entire music collection is pretty cool via the cloud).

I just downloaded the trial version of Poweramp.  I have a question.  I really like the detail that I was hearing straight from the original music player of the Note II.  After downloading Poweramp, the details seems to be a little less.  Some people like that but I prefer more.  

1) Is this truly the case with Poweramp or is it my imagination?
2) If I leave Poweramp in my Note II but use the original music player, I would guess that the effects of Poweramp would not impact when using the origina MP.  Correct?
3) Is the trial version of Voodoo Sound no longer available?

Thanks.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #146 of 471
Quote:

Try Neutron Player ... I was abit skeptic about different players sounding differently but after trying out Neutron Player (despite the terrible UI) I can definitely hear the improvements over the stock Samsung music player and Poweramp, especially some of the live performances i have, it just sounds alot better lol

I've only used it for a 5 days, and it just expired. Might buy it now, but the UI really is holding me back

I'm using Neutron as well and its certainly an improvement over the stock media player (haven't tried Poweramp). But damn if that UI isn't ugly as hell. I would love to see a foobar/musicbee app for android where you can customize the UI skin.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #147 of 471
Is there anyone rooted your Note 2 and use the walkman player on it? If you have, mind to share a comment on it? Also, maybe a comparison with other third-party music players!

Thanks

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #148 of 471
Quote:
Don't know if anyone noticed but your can use this kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1927852 which comes with an application that lets you increase the internal amp for the Note 2. Basicly its an implementation of voodoo for the 4412 SOC.

Yup thats right, the sound quality increased dramatically, you can use N.E.A.K kernel too, then download uNEAK engine app from play store and have control over the Wolfson DAC 
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2000328

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #150 of 471
After the recommendations in this thread I got the unlocked version of PowerAmp.

Hmmm....

1) Poweramp has a lot of background hiss, I am using Shure 535 straight out of the jack, and I can hear it easily in the quieter sections.

2) Gapless playback is poor. C'mon guys, my iRiver H320 had great gapless playback 9 years ago!  Even the iPods, after Apple dithered for a year or three, got gapless playback 6 years ago.*

3) Handling the other sounds from the phone while playing music leaves something to be desired, sometimes it does a good job, other times it stays on a lower sound level for several seconds after the notification sound has finished. Sometimes it pauses and I have to push play to get it going again.

4) The lock screen controls are good, but it often stuffs up the album art. Sometimes the album art is displayed, sometimes it isnt, sometimes it appears only to disappear a second or so later.

I dont know how Poweramp got such a good reputation, it must do a better job on other platforms?

h

<rant: anti fanboi>

I remember the Apple Fanbois defending Apple at the time: "but there are meant to be gaps between the songs" and "just use crossfade, it's the same thing". When iRiver came out with the H320 they said things like "who would want a colour screen on an mp3 player anyway". Until the next iPod came out with a colour screen and then it was "Apple leads the way, again" despite them being 6 months behind.

</rant>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back