SAmsung galaxy note 2
Nov 28, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #106 of 471
I am a little bit disappointed that the output of the WM1811 is 5.3mW compared to 6mW of the WM8994.
I was hoping for more substantial power for higher impedance cans.
I noticed that the noise floor is lower than the WM1811 though.

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #108 of 471
The Note 2 (US version, don't know if interntional is different) is pretty weak for output- maxed volume is still not quite enough with my K550. But it is quieter/ better than my Note 1.

I have the k550 but haven't tried it with the note yet. Just got the 64 gb sandisk card so I am ready to put on some music.

I'll let you know if I get a different result.

I also ordered a fiio e7 to go with this in case to use via usb.

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #111 of 471
i am using the sprint version and the output is great on my shure 535s
comfortable volume is about 4 to 6 out of 15 volume units
so far very impressed with sq, using neutron of course
came from a nexus s with voodoo

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #113 of 471
Quote:
compare with nexus 4, which have better sound, if playing 320k mp3?

Not yet got my Nexus 4, based on performance of the S4 SoC in the US S3 I would expect it to have a worse headphone output than the Note 2 (probably particularly noticeable with sensitive IEMs). No USB audio in the N4 is a real turn-off, as is the stupidly small fixed storage.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #114 of 471
Quote:
I recommend filling the card in parts, not transfer everything at once- my card crashed doing this and apparently it's common with the microSD's

Got some tunes on my Note 2 now.  I am using PowerAmp that I just bought with all settings default and no gain.  At 75% of full volume or the volume dial at 3 o'clock in the app, it is more than loud enough for me and won't need to exceed this normally.   I am using 256 Lame MP3's and the AKG 550.  I also have the dock with the audio out and the volume is reduced dramatically on that output so that would need to be amped if I need to use it.

Quote:
Also, this is the cable you want for the E7 (or other capable DAC): http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Micro-b-male-to-Mini-b-male-data-cable-lead-adaptor-/261124391843?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item3ccc3a03a3

Yes, these are the ones I bought.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #115 of 471
Quote:

Another question:  I can get the Note 2 on a two-year contract with PCCW for HK$299 (2.5GB) for the 3G version, or I can pay HK$349 and get 5GB and the LTE version.  I don't really use the internet a lot so I don't think I really need the extra 2.5GB but does the LTE version have anything else different to it?

Thanks.

Rats!  PCCW doesn't have any Note 2 to give me at this moment for the promotion so I am going to have to wait another week or so.  :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #116 of 471
Coming from 3GS with TF10s, there is definitely some more hiss but it's not a huge deal to me. Only really noticeable in quiet sections / classical recordings.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #117 of 471
Classical recordings is when I noticed a bit more hissing then on my Ipod touch 3G. I just hooked up my LCD-2 and it sound superb as always. Volume at max I get enough volume also for classical for what I am comfortable with for any kind of long term anyway.  I don´t understand how the LCD-2 can sound so sublime on just about any source. To bad they are so sucky for portable usage :frowning2:

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #118 of 471
Quote:
I've been using the stock headphones with my Note II since I received it because my Westone UM1's plug wide plug wouldn't fit in my Note II's case.  I've always mainly used my phones for podcasts and audio books and not so much for music so I didn't mind the crappy headphones.  I ended up modding my UM1's plug so it will fit in my Note II's case. 

An alternative is to take a file to the case's headphone port. That is what I did with my iPad Mini case so that my ES5 plug would fit.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #119 of 471
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

It looks like the output impedance of the source is a key issue for you. As it is for me. Hence i'm keeping iPhone 4s.

Dude, why not just use a headphone amp? Even just a tiny one. I haven't used an an-amped phone on it's own as a DAP since I was like 12. Then I discovered PMPs and got my first job to fund a purchase (an Archos Juke Box and paper round respectively, lol). Now decent dedicated PMPs (reasonably priced, not the dx100!) seem to be getting phased out with convergence devices so I'll get an Android phone when my Cowon D3 (also Android) becomes unusable. However I'd have no qualms about using a small headphone amp. Then again, I mainly use portable audio when studying, hiking and doing DIY/chores so I'm perfectly fine carrying a combination (note 2 + slim amp) which is still significantly lighter and thinner than the walkmen/discmen which people used as their portable source for over a decade.

Efficient (low impedance) cans help too of course, so that a bulky amp isn't needed. Using an Android app to remap the keys and add media playback function to the few tactile buttons on the Note 2/S3 helps as well so you don't need to be pulling it out of the pocket to switch tracks or pause playback.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #120 of 471
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

It looks like the output impedance of the source is a key issue for you. As it is for me. Hence i'm keeping iPhone 4s.

Dude, why not just use a headphone amp? Even just a tiny one. I haven't used an an-amped phone on it's own as a DAP since I was like 12. Then I discovered PMPs and got my first job to fund a purchase (an Archos Juke Box and paper round respectively, lol). Now decent dedicated PMPs (reasonably priced, not the dx100!) seem to be getting phased out with convergence devices so I'll get an Android phone when my Cowon D3 (also Android) becomes unusable. However I'd have no qualms about using a small headphone amp. Then again, I mainly use portable audio when studying, hiking and doing DIY/chores so I'm perfectly fine carrying a combination (note 2 + slim amp) which is still significantly lighter and thinner than the walkmen/discmen which people used as their portable source for over a decade.

Efficient (low impedance) cans help too of course, so that a bulky amp isn't needed. Using an Android app to remap the keys and add media playback function to the few tactile buttons on the Note 2/S3 helps as well so you don't need to be pulling it out of the pocket to switch tracks or pause playback.

I love the simplicity of just plugging my Um3x into the 4s.

And the output is hard to match even with external dacs/amps.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Users who are viewing this thread

Back