Samsung Galaxy 5 vs Sony Walkman Z1000??
Jul 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

alamba78

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at both of these DAPs as an alternative to an ipod.  I definitely would like an Android device as I already own an Android phone and am very familiar with the OS.  Also, my phone's battery and SQ definitely pale in comparison.  What I'm looking for advice on is the SQ, battery life, sd card slot, screen, FLAC playback, etc.

I want to know whether one outshines the other in SQ by leaps and bounds and which has better features in the above mentioned categories. There is also quite a difference in the price point, with the Samsung being cheaper than the Sony.

What has everyone's experience been?  If you own one or both, would you switch or stay with what you have?  Does one respond to an external amp better or is it not needed for casual listening?  I plan on using lossless music, good headphones (allen & heath xd-53) and an IEM for the gym (SoundMagic E30).  I'm not an audiophile but I do enjoy and notice good SQ.  And yes I'm a basshead to some degree.  I can't say I love head thrashing bass but a deep warm bass is always welcome.  Just wanted to give a little background which may or may not alter the buying choice between the 2 options.

Thanks!  

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 19
Let me see how much i can help.

For starters here is a website that can let you do good Spec comparisons between 2 or more devices (Already got the GP5 and Walkman Z comparison set up for you): http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/2564/3687

Now for SQ, I don't own either of the devices to be honest (Well i do own the GP5s newest younger brother, the GP 4.2) so i can only tell you what i have heard about them.

The Sound Quality for the Walkman Z i have heard is comparable to that of the Cowon J3, a popular PMP among Head-Fiers here that was discontinued a few months ago by the company and has very good SQ and battery life. It also has a MicroSD Slot like all the Galaxy Players for expanding your memory, but from what i heard it has a maximum file limit of i recall 8000 files (If anyone can correct me on this if i am wrong that would be appreciated) that you can store on it internally and externally.

As you can see on the website above the Walkman Z has a far less support of audio codecs than the GP5 and has no MicroSD support so your going to have to pay more money for more space. As with most devices these days like the Ipod Touch some of the space is already used for the OS, and i heard that half the 8GB Sony Walkman Zs space is used for the OS so if you go this route you will probably want to get 16 GB or more. For FLAC playback, you could buy a music player from the app store that supports FLAC to play it and battery life as far as i know is not good with most Sony devices. I am unaware of the DAC used in the Walkman Z also.

For the Galaxy Player 5, as you can see supports alot of audio codecs and is capable of having expanded memory through the MicroSD Slot (They say the maximum is 32 GB only when expanding memory but i have seen plenty of people use 64GB SDXC cards with this device and other different devices after formatting it to FAT32). Sound quality i have heard is good and is even better for the GP 4.0 and GP 5.0 when you root it (Like jailbreaking an IPod) and adding Voodoo Sound on it.

From what i know battery life is better on here since it is a bigger device than the 3.6, 4.0, or 4.2 as it uses a 2500mAH battery, if you use it for just music like i try to do with my GP 4.2 then it will last you quite a while unless you start playing games or watching videos of course. Only downfall with the battery on the GP5? Unlike all of its brothers it has no removable battery. This device uses a Yamaha DAC, which i hear lots of people say is not as good as a Wolfson DAC (I do not know as much as other Head-fiers on DAC chips), the GP 4.0 and 4.2 use a Wolfson DAC and i do not know about the GP 3.6.

As with all devices like the Galaxy Player Series and this Walkman Z series if you want to keep the battery alive for a long while before the next charge it is recommended to turn off all wireless signals the device is putting out (Ex. Wifi, Bluetooth) if you are not using it.

Hopefully i have managed to help you. If anyone can fix or add more to my information please do so.

Jul 16, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks man!  I'm leaning towards the Galaxy cuz I like the features plus the ability to offload my apps, games (seldom play), and music listening to the Galaxy and not my phone.  But, I wish the 5 had some of the 4.2's features.  Hmm.  There's no such thing as perfect.

4.2 or 5?  What do you think?  I wish the 5 had the Wolfson DAC.  Woulda been a no brainer with that one additional feature.  But, since I'm not an audiophile, I don't think that should be a deal breaker.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 19
Well over the 4.2, again,  the GP 4.0 & 5.0 can be rooted and being given the voodoo app which i hear helps pretty good with the SQ on both devices.

If you don't mind not having that then you could go with the GP 4.2s stock player or get a different one from the Play Store and in the future a rooting method will probably be added to the 4.2 to give it voodoo sound.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
But how does the 4.2 sound?  Any comparisons?

Sorry, but i was gifted the 4.2 almost about a month & a half ago close to when it came out and i only had a Sony Walkman from the E Series, which i gave to another family member not long after so that is the only device i could compare it to, but i can't remember it well enough to give you a good comparison.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 19
If you are doing a LoD for Sony Z into amp yes it will be much better then Galaxy.
Better question is Sony Z vs IPod touch with LoD on both, SQ is very very very close, better on the Sony if you do not mind converting your music to Wav / Mp3, power amp & line out into amp do not do well with this combo, not at high volumes anyway. 
Let me put it this way, Sony Z VS Touch both running stock players playing an MP3 = Touch, playing a uncompressed Wave = Sony. 

I was using Sony Z with LoD + E11 and it was awesome but took it back & got touch 64g, simply because I did not want to be tied down to stock player just to use the awesome effects on it. 

If you are settled on android though the questions are these : 
Will you Line out from Sony into an amp ? If no go Samsung if yes go Sony Z

Hope I helped & did not confuse you even further lol. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Well over the 4.2, again,  the GP 4.0 & 5.0 can be rooted and being given the voodoo app which i hear helps pretty good with the SQ on both devices.

If you don't mind not having that then you could go with the GP 4.2s stock player or get a different one from the Play Store and in the future a rooting method will probably be added to the 4.2 to give it voodoo sound.

The 5.0 can not be given the voodoo app.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Is it because of the Android version on stock?  What if it is rooted?

The voodoo thing only works with the Wolfson chip, which the 5.0 does not have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back