Samson sr850 vs koss pro dj100 vs Creative Aurvana Live
Sep 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Porkchop1

New Head-Fier
I currently own Samson sr850 but im looking for new headphones in 75-125dollar price range.

I checked the guide on this site and only  CAL and koss pro dj100 headphones were available in my country. Would either of them be any better than Samson sr850?

Imo the sound of the Samson sr850 is fine in general, but I might like just little bit more bass.

I mainly listen to prog metal, djent and some electronic music like daft punk and genesis. Headphones would also be used for gaming. 

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 4
  I currently own Samson sr850 but I'm looking for new headphones in 75-125dollar price range.
I checked the guide on this site and only  CAL and koss pro dj100 headphones were available in my country. Would either of them be any better than Samson sr850?
Imo the sound of the Samson sr850 is fine in general, but I might like just little bit more bass.
I mainly listen to prog metal, djent and some electronic music like daft punk and genesis. Headphones would also be used for gaming. 

What source(s) do you plug the headphones into?

The CALs do have good sound quality, but the cups are on the small side, so the bass shots right into your ear, I can't wear the CALS for more then 10-15 minutes.
So I would wear the SR850s over the CALS, myself.
Also for around $15 you can get different (generic made in China) ear pads for the SR850.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 4
I own all of the three headphones. For me it's difficult to rate their sound and bass quality in any simple way. Both the DJ100 and Live! do have bass that goes deeper than the bass of the SR850. They are closed while the SR850 is open (or half-open). Concerning the balance between the amount of bass and the amount of treble, the DJ100 is the least bassy. On the other hand its bass seems to be more "solid" or "hard" while there is some softness in the bass of the Live!.

For some reason the soundstage of the Live! don't work well for my ears/brain. Otherwise it would be my favorite of these. It has a v-shaped sound signature but for my ears it's very nice without any annoying spikes in the treble.

It took some time to get to like the DJ100. I had to give them some time before my ears/brain got accustomed to their treble that is not quite smooth. The DJ100 does have a more "full" sound than the LIve! and the SR850 - the middle frequencies are better represented in the sound signature. Soundstage is good for closed headphone.

The SR850 made a strong first impression with its sound quality - the clarity of it. I also prefer open headphones to closed ones. On the other hand its sound signature is kind of "hollow". They have exaggerated highs that I still can find painful - and to balance it they have elevated the bass. What is in the middle is too under presented for my taste. Still the sound of the SR850 had the biggest immediate wow factor - before the highs started to bother me.

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 4
for $150 you can get the Yamaha pro 400. Look up the Yamaha pro thread if you want a ton of info. I also have an 850 and I think this will do the trick. You could also get an AKG 240. that resolves better than the 850 and has more bass. Similar sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back