Sample Rate Output on MacBook Pro
Jul 2, 2017 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jurumal

100+ Head-Fier
So I was changing the output sample rate on my MacBook Pro in the Audio Midi Setup when I thought, do I always have to manually change the output to the song's corresponding sample rate to properly enjoy my music? The DAC doesn't automatically switch to the proper sample rate? What happens if the sample rates are mismatched? Maybe someone could help me clarify this. Also, I'm currently working with and enjoying music through my "new" Schiit Gungnir D-S.

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 3
What player are you using?

iTunes uses whatever sample rate is set in Audio Midi Setup app. Tracks that have a lower sample rate will be upsampled by iTunes. Tracks that have a higher sample rate with be downsampled by iTunes.

iTunes tells the DAC what sample rate and bit rate it is using and the DAC switches to those rates accordingly. The DAC doesn't change when iTunes plays various sample rate tracks because iTunes has resampled them to the sample rate selected in the Audio Midi Setup app. There is an app called "BitPerfect" that enhances iTunes playback. One of the things it does it automatic sample rate switching.

You could also buy more advanced apps, such as Audirvana Plus, that do automatic sample rate switching and much more.

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for clarification, @winders. I ended up getting BitPerfect and that automatic SR switching is working exactly like I want. Thanks again! Also, I found out how to enable automatic SR switching in Vox (but I guess it's kinda late for that now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back