Same old Schiit? Um, no. Welcome to Asgard 2!
Feb 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #241 of 351
Quote:

In all fairness guys, $250 is $250. There's not many things you buy w/ blemishes, especially at this price point. I haven't seen them, but I wouldn't be beating yourself up for being disappointed. It also hurts your resale ability, or at least its a pain when you have to explain the presence of blemishes. The whole For Sale thread is full of people just like you...looking for perfection as a sign of care. 

Well said!

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #242 of 351
I would like to.  We'll see if I can swing it.  Thanks for keeping me in mind.
I'm in Savannah as well! I'd like to go to a meet, but my only vehicle is a motorcycle and 3 hours each way on a bike is getting to be a drag at my age (went cross-country in my early 30s).

It'd be cool to meet fellow head-fi-ers in Savannah though.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #243 of 351
Quote:
My A2 has noticeably more transformer hum than my A1.  I can hear when I put my ear about 1.5-2 feet away from the amp.  Is this normal with other A2s?  It is in high gain and I can't hear it through the headphones.

If remember correctly, the  early production version 1 Asgard's had a transformer hum issue. I wonder if it's something Jason will get worked out in future runs.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #244 of 351
No matter the cause, I'm less than thrilled at the moment because mine is humming.  I can hear it when the music pauses.  Disappointing.  

Quote:

If remember correctly, the  early production version 1 Asgard's had a transformer hum issue. I wonder if it's something Jason will get worked out in future runs.

Feb 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #245 of 351
Quote:
No matter the cause, I'm less than thrilled at the moment because mine is humming.  I can hear it when the music pauses.  Disappointing.  

It's something that would bug the heck out of me as well. Get in touch with Jason, see what he has to say. That said, I'm going to wait before I order one now

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #246 of 351
I just sent said email.  I'll see what the response is.  I refuse to believe that I'm just an unlucky person and got the only humming A2 out there.  I do have very sensitive ears, but I think normal people would be able to hear this hum.

Quote:
It's something that would bug the heck out of me as well. Get in touch with Jason, see what he has to say. That said, I'm going to wait before I order one now

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #247 of 351
Quote:
I just sent said email.  I'll see what the response is.  I refuse to believe that I'm just an unlucky person and got the only humming A2 out there.  I do have very sensitive ears, but I think normal people would be able to hear this hum.

I have to press my ear up against my version 1 in order to hear the transformer. Maybe your hearing is a lot better than mine? That said, I have this  bench power supply in my workshop that has a slight hum I hear from a couple of feet away. It seriously drives me nuts. Actually, I'm looking for isolators to decouple the power transformer from the chassis. 

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #248 of 351
Quote:

I muted the source and turned the gain all the way up, I am unable to hear a hum on my AKG Q701's.

Though I can hear the hum from the amp itself when I am right next to it, and when I put my hand on top I can feel the hum.... but I listen at high db's so it doesn't bother me.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #249 of 351
So far, the indication is the hum is within normal operating parameters and manufacturing variation.  I have very acute hearing.  I can hear the transformer hum in my A1 when my ear is next to it, but not from 1 foot away.  My A2, in a quiet room, I can hear about 4-5 feet away.  When the music is playing, I can't hear it.  But, as I said, I have insanely acute hearing.  I can hear light bulbs from across the room.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #250 of 351
Schiit to the rescue.  Jason is going to make things right because the hum in my case is abnormal.  Once again, excellent customer service from Schiit.  I expected nothing else.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #252 of 351
Quote:
Schiit to the rescue.  Jason is going to make things right because the hum in my case is abnormal.  Once again, excellent customer service from Schiit.  I expected nothing else.

This is one reason I will give repeated business to Schiit. I'll just wait till there's more feedback on this hum deal. Maybe yours has an uncommon transformer winding de-lamination causing the hum, who knows? 

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #254 of 351
Quote:
Let's get some impressions / reviews?
biggrin.gif

Still waiting for mine to fully burn-in but so far it definitely sounds better than the headphone out from my Emotiva XDA-2.  BTW, I noticed what looks like two glowing orange surface mount LEDs inside.  What's the point of that?  Is it supposed to mimic the glow of tubes?

Feb 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #255 of 351
Fedex tracking shows the package leaving California Friday and then nothing. I keep thinking there's a Fedex truck loaded with schiit stuck in the blizzard somewhere in Kansas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back