Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #91 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
LCD-2 & HD800

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
At the moment using pairs of 3 pin as I needed 3 pin on my DAC to link in to my active monitors. However I would buy a dedicated headphone amp with a 4 pin output.

In an ideal world, if you were shooting for ultimate status, 3 pin xlr output from DAC and 3 pin throughput (line in & line out) on the amp would be perfect

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
Not for me. I would rather see an adapter lead included.

What I would love to see is the option of a battery supply to create a truly portable system
I'm seriously looking at the RWA Audeze DAC/Amp combo and would love to see how you guys would interpret the same set of requirements.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #92 of 217
No, sadly.

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
Yes. I've taken a step back recently, but still plan to own a balanced pair in the future.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
I'd love to see 4-pin become the balanced standard. I'm not a fan of 3-pin. That said, 3-pin is not important to me.

I'd say it's a nice option and would allow people to own the amp before they get their entire set up done. I'd say pretty important for people without endless budgets.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
More utility than anything. I know I'd use SE as more of an inbetween while I got the rest of the rig together.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #93 of 217
Not yet, but within a year.

Totally looking at a balanced rig.

4-pin would be nice, but either implementation would suffice.

I would say this is a good idea as long as it doesn't force any compromises into the design.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
Mostly utility, but if doing it in my mind it would be best to keep the quality of the outputs as high as possible. I like the idea of having another source for my unbalanced cans as well.

Cheers.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #94 of 217

-Not yet. 

-Yes, I plan to get an (undecided) balanced amp in the near future.

-Not too knowledgeable on the perks and the downsides of either/both, so I have no preference. 

-Significantly important. I would prefer a balanced amp to have a 1/4 jack. 

-I think the quality of the single-ended outputs are just as important as the balanced outputs, but it is also an added plus that you can use different kind of headphones with the single ended output.

Aug 16, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #95 of 217
Not yet, but I plan to get a balanced cable for my HD650s and get the LCD-2

Yes.

4-pin would work for me.

Yes it is important, unless a decent quality adapter is included.

Utility, but of course Schiit is good.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #96 of 217
Hey Jason, just read through the responses you're getting here. Any chance of getting a peak behind the curtain to get a better idea of what you guys are planning? Is this going to be a 'statement' product, as some have assumed, or is this part of a planned series (like the DACs)? Any idea yet on tubes vs SS vs hybrid? And of course, the most important question... 

When are we gonna see a Schiit product named Ragnarok??? (Might get some sort of promotional tie-in with Gwar on that one. Although it's probably in your best interests to avoid any and all associations with Gwar. Cuz they're scary.)

biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #97 of 217

No

Would be interested in exploring

Not very

Think would be a nice additional feature

If implemented, then quality should be on par with balanced

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #98 of 217
Cool stuff Jason!

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones? I have HE-4 balanced but would reterminate HD-800 to balanced 4 pin

If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? I am looking for a balanced amp yes. Preferably tube amp.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? I would only like 4 pin. I think it saves cost both for you as well as for me.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? Not very important, it is a balanced amp after al. 

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? Yes, if it offers single ended outputs as well as balanced then they must be of same quality otherwise I don't see any point in adding single ended.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #99 of 217

LCD-2 with an 4-pin XLR and a 1/4 adaptor.

I would be fine with just a 4-pin XLR

It would be great as I wouldn't have to balance future headphones just to use them with the amp.

I hope the sound quality will at least be on the same level as the balanced output. If the quality of the single ended output is far away from the balanced i might just go for a purely singled ended amp to keep thing simple.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #100 of 217
Sennheiser HD600, Head-Direct: HE-5LE, HE-6, HE-500, HE-300, RE-ZERO, RE-272, JH AUDIO 16PRO, Westone ES5

Yes!

Not important at all, 4-pin XLR is all that is needed, and perhaps an adapter to TRRS balanced and RSA balanced connector.

Not at all.

Not important.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #101 of 217

Quote:

Here are the questions:

1) I do not own a balanced headphone. I would not be able to afford one. Ever.
2) Not in the near future, no.
3) I would prefer it.
3) Again, preferred.
4) Utility. If I'm dropping money on something that expensive I want to be able to use it with anything and everything for the next years.

… And thanks for entering me in that there contest.  Planning on picking up Biifrost as a DAC for my new computer.

EDIT:

Always been bit of a skeptic when it comes to balanced, but I've never played around with a set up long enough to be able to say either way.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #102 of 217
Hey all, 

Thanks for the responses so far! Keep them coming--even if it's "I don't believe in all this balanced hoo-ha!"

As far as what we're planning, we're still working the details of the planned balanced product (or products)--hence this poll. It's really helping to clarify what we're going to provide as far as connectivity and features. We may decide to bring out a "minimum cost" balanced product (still not cheap), and another "maximally versatile" version as well. But that's all up in the air at the moment. 

The reason we're so focused on the single-ended (SE) output is that the balanced topology we're working with isn't just another "put two of the same amps in one box and run one inverted," deals--there's no good way to get a SE output (well, a quiet SE output) out of it. So the SE output would have to be an entirely separate amp section--which is why we're asking "how good's it gotta be?" Sounds like it will have to be **** good.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #103 of 217
Reply to Jason's questions by zzffnn

>>> LCD-2s and Beyer T1s. Both have 4 pin XLRs.

>>> Depends on what headphone. HD650s for example, are said to sound better in balanced mode, not so much for Beyer T1. LCD-2s are somewhat in between. Cost also matters. Not for me atm.

>>> I think 4 pin XLRs are good enough. Isn't it easy to reterminate between 3pin and 4 pin XLRs?

>>> Very important. I would like to have both.

>>> Quality of SE output is as important as the XLR output.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #104 of 217
Maybe another question you can ask down the road in this thread is one of expense.
If balanced + high quality SE costs X and balanced + utility SE costs Y then how many people would choose X over Y.
Or as you mentioned the best option is two options:  less expensive balanced + utility SE (or no SE) and more expensive balanced + quality SE 
I'm now thinking the minimum priced balanced amp will be good for me and the Lyr will be around for my SE terminated headphones.

Thanks for listening to our needs

Quote:
Hey all, 

Thanks for the responses so far! Keep them coming--even if it's "I don't believe in all this balanced hoo-ha!"

As far as what we're planning, we're still working the details of the planned balanced product (or products)--hence this poll. It's really helping to clarify what we're going to provide as far as connectivity and features. We may decide to bring out a "minimum cost" balanced product (still not cheap), and another "maximally versatile" version as well. But that's all up in the air at the moment. 

The reason we're so focused on the single-ended (SE) output is that the balanced topology we're working with isn't just another "put two of the same amps in one box and run one inverted," deals--there's no good way to get a SE output (well, a quiet SE output) out of it. So the SE output would have to be an entirely separate amp section--which is why we're asking "how good's it gotta be?" Sounds like it will have to be **** good.

All the best,
Jason

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #105 of 217
[size=10.5pt]Based upon what someone wrote I wanted to clarify something.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]It is perfectly OK to make a Single Ended (¼” or 1/8” stereo jack) to balanced (4 pin or two 3 pin XLR’s) adapter.[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]It however is not always OK to make or consider using a Balanced to Single Ended adapter (4 pin or two 3 pin XLR to ¼” or 1/8”).[/size]
[size=10.5pt] [/size]
[size=10.5pt]I won’t get into the technical reasons, but I’d caution any balanced amp owners that are considering using a balanced to single ended adapter to TALK TO THE MANUFACTURER before doing so.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back