Same ol' question: Recommend a Headphone for me! **Sorry**
Jan 30, 2011 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

susnjar ante

New Head-Fier
Ok, I'm a noob and this question has been posted here a million times.  I've read these forums for a while now but this is my first post (I'm a dork in your eyes here....but please take some pitty on this dork)

I'm looking to purchase a headphone to use with my computer and on the go.  I have reasearched all sorts and tested a few in some local shops and while I prefer the sound of "open" cans I cannot purchase them because I do not want to disturb the wife and kid.

My only option is to go for "closed" and please narrow down your choices to me with the following criteria.

1) $200 budget
2) Used with a computer at home but have option to take with me outside.
3) Looks are not an issue.
4) Weight is not an issue.
5) I listen to mostly urban and electronic music (bass heavy).  However, I do get bored sometimes and listen to classical, rock and other genre's.
6) If you recommend an amp, please recommend something portable/good value/best bang for buck type of deal.

Any constructive input is appreciated.  Please don't feel the need to flame me or say "use the search function"....I've heard it all before and read it on this forum before.

Thanks everyone and I hope to find a solution soon.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 20
As a Beyer fan (DT990 - open) I'd suggest the Beyerdynamic DT770s. They make a 32 Ohm version which should obviate the need for an amp, but many of the more experienced ears here think that the 600 Ohm is the best and that the 250 is passable. For my 990/250s, I find them better amped than unamped. But as the amp I'm using cost me about double what I paid for the 990s, I think that it may blow your budget.

Welcome to Head-Fi; kiss your wallet goodbye
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 20
screw YEAH!!!
This just reaffirms what I've been researching.  I've been thinking to get the DT770 250 Ohm version from what I've read.  I'm just glad you recommended those!

Thanks AVI!

Ok so next question.  What amp to drive these?  I read about the FiiO E5.  Any good?  Don't flame me....have never used an amp.  What are you using and how much?

edit: just saw in your sig what rig you have but don't know what it means....sorry for being a noob again

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 20
I don't know much about amps, but to power the 250Ohm load of the DT770's you will probably need something substantially better.  You might be able to get away with a FiiO E7 or an iBasso T3D/T4 but I don't know for certain, some more experienced members can chime in.

How portable of a set up do you want?  You could get a nice amp as well that requires a power supply from a variety of places, I personally am interested in investing in a Schiit Asgard.

And in my experience, the FiiO E5 really is not worth anything.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 20
ok so Fiio E5 is out....fair enough.  The iBasso looks tempting but blows my budget out of the water and the wife will not be happy....and the Asgard you mentioned....holy S***....not ready for that bad boy!  Any other suggestions?  The Fiio E7 OK?

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 20
I would assume that it is ok, but my amp experience is fairly limited.  Let some more experienced members chime in.  I have heard the E7 to be a decent well-rounded amp, and it has the nice addition of a DAC for your computer use as well.  However, I am unsure of its abilities to drive 250 Ohm headphones, so hopefully someone else will have a more insightful opinion.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
Ok so next question.  What amp to drive these?  I read about the FiiO E5.  Any good?  Don't flame me....have never used an amp.  What are you using and how much?

I've used the following amps to run my 990/250:

Go Vibe Mk V - OK
RSA Hornet - good
Meier Stepdance - very good.

As the last two are ~370 each, I think they are outside your budget. My apologies, but I don't know what state of the art is for amps in the 50-100 range which is what you would be looking at.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 20
Dang it AVI!!  Why are you such a high roller with your awesome amps!  Haha.  Hopefully I'll get there some day but you are correct.  What you have is outside the budget so I'll have to make due with something less crazy.

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 20
I saved up for a couple years for each amp. I got the DT990s in 2006, the hornet in 2008, and the Meier a few weeks ago.
dt880smile.png

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 20
Ok so if I get the cans and a low budget amp....would that be better than no amp at all or would a low grade amp actually make it sound worse?  My guess is that any amp would make it sound better....no?

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 20
might i recommend a used Ibasso T3/T4? for around $100 used, you still have $100 to spend on a pair of very decent fullsized phones

Jan 31, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 20
I'd recommend the Fischer Audio FA-003s, as they sound really open for a pair of closed cans.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 20
Alternatively, you could get the 32 Ohm version.  Again, knowledge is fairly limited here, but I believe you would experience slightly more noise from the lower impedance, but they would be far easier to drive (possibly iPod alone) and would benefit from a lower end amp like an E7.  Generally, it looks to be a more portable set up and still has the benefit of having the great sound of the high quality DT990's.

BTW, aren't the DT990's open, which is against what you are looking for?  The DT770's are closed, and slightly cheaper (~$50).  That would allow you to go the closed route, stick with the Beyer's and get an E7 as well.

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 20
Yes, he's considering the DT770. I only have experience with the DT990, though :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back