sad music
Oct 12, 2005 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

rhythmdevils

Member of the Trade: rhythmdevils audio
excluding classical and opera, what is the saddest music you have ever heard?

happy music is great. but sometimes i really need depressing music. it helps me work through things im feeling and thinking about. its good for sitting and brooding over things.

lets see, ive got

Radiohead (duh)
jeff buckley
cat power
elliot smith
leonard cohen
jesse sykes
nick drake
townes van zandt

anyone else really enjoy slow/depressing music sometimes?

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 55
I find the song "Gravedigger," by Dave Matthews to be really, really depressing. Especially the accousitc version. I don't actually know why, it just is. My 2 cents
biggrin.gif

EDIT: And I like depressing music too when the occasion calls for it. Though I prefer happy music... I tend to have moods based on what I'm listening to... weirdo...

Oct 12, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #4 of 55
From the dark metal region, Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress is definetly one of the saddest albums ever done. Some tracks from neo-classical/darkwave Elend are also one of the most depressing and sad compositions I have ever heard.

Oct 12, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 55
Damien Rice
Beth Gibbons

Quote:

Anything Morrissey.

LOL! That is such a cliche nowadays that it's hilarious
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 55
Oct 12, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 55
Schönberg's "Transfigured Night" (Verklärte Nacht) immediately came into my mind although it's probably not meant to be sad.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Country music is where it's at when it comes to sad music...

Possbily, but people, the Blues is the name of an entire genre of music for a reason. If you want sad, pathetic, broken-hearted songs, just listen to some John Lee Hooker or Son House or Robert Johnson or Lightinin' Hopkins.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Schönberg's "Transfigured Night" (Verklärte Nacht) immediately came into my mind although it's probably not meant to be sad.

Yes, but the OP didn't want to include classical.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 55
Elliott Smith's XO and From a Basement on a Hill.
I've heard of Nick Drake, but never heard his music.
Aimee Mann's Lost In Space.

A lot of the music I listen to is angry, and usually with the angry music is sadness to a degree. Frustration, etc.

(I don't want to say my favorite band on here, sorry. I'm a snob.
frown.gif

But if you really want to know, then I'll give it up like that, as long as you promise to appreciate and love it as much as I have, hahaha.)

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 55
Any of the first three albums from Blackheart Procession. Also the soundtrack to Requeim for a Dream.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 55
A Silver Mt. Zion's "He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corners Of Our Rooms" can just put me in tears sometimes. The fact that it's written about a beloved deceased pet makes it that much more poignant to the animal lover in me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back