sad music
Oct 13, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #32 of 55
Am I the only person who doesn't get depressed by Radiohead? To me it's all cathartic.

Probably the song I find saddest that isn't in this thread already is A Lack Of Color by Death Cab For Cutie. Ben Gibbard can tell the story of a broken heart so well...

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #33 of 55
I just can't believe you people got through over 30 posts without mentioning Sigur Rós. Just try their album ( ). It doesn't get any more depressing than that one. Still enjoy it, though.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finprog
I just can't believe you people got through over 30 posts without mentioning Sigur Rós. Just try their album ( ). It doesn't get any more depressing than that one. Still enjoy it, though.

Again, I love Sigur Ros but don't find their music depressing in any way, shape or form. Huh.
confused.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Any of the first three albums from Blackheart Procession.

++

Not just sad, also very very depressing (and annoying)... Listen to that continually, and trust me, you WILL want to kill yourself!

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #37 of 55
Yeah, The Black Heart Procession is one of my favorites. And Cat Power, especially the cathartic Moon Pix, but the one before that was quite sad in places too, especially when she was covering the Bill Callahan (aka Smog) songs. Lots of others like Tindersticks and Songs:Ohia and Califone and Nick Cave and Willard Grant Conspiracy and Vic Chesnutt and Crooked Fingers and Joe Henry and Sparklehorse and Red House Painters and The Twilight Singers and ... yeah, guess I spend a little too much time in that dirgeful groove
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #40 of 55
In the Neighborhood by Tom Waits
H. By Tool from Anemia
Run By Snow Patrol is extremely sad
Who'll Stop the Rain by CCR
Superman Song by the Crash Test Dummies
It Ain't Me Babe By Bob Dylan
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by the Band
For the Random song Most people most likely havnt heard
How i Spent my TIme in the City by Aireline
While most of these songs are sad or very mellow most of the bands are not really sad bands so i think unless you just find a sad band that looking for individual songs is a more fruitful effort for sad songs.
PS i have heard Bright Eyes is very sad but never listened to him.

Oct 14, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
For what hasn't been mentioned yet, try Joseph Arthur (any of his last 3 albums, but especially Redemption's Son). This is a true giant and a real artist, although he hasn't yet been recognized as such yet, you can get in on the ground floor. He's so good it *hurts*...

Agreed. Great music! Listening to Come from where I'm From right now.

Most of the music I listen to is *sad*, so here's a list of my favs:
Antony & the Johnsons
Belle & Sebastian (sometimes)
Damien Rice
Delgados
Elbow (sometimes)
Elliott Smith
Jeff Buckley
Josh Ritter
Manic Street Preachers (The Holy Bible)
Nick Drake
Ours (Voice almost like Jeff Buckly, awesome songwriting on their first album)
Sarah McLachlan

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Ours (Voice almost like Jeff Buckly, awesome songwriting on their first album)

I never really gave those guys a chance. It just seemed like they were lifting things from other artists. The voice of Buckley like you said, and the entire melody from "Talk Show Host" by Radiohead for their single. But I like the other artists you listed so maybe I'll give them another spin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back