Sabaj D5: the DAC that is unquestionably a digital to analog converter
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #136 of 298
I'm loving mine it has dethroned my beloved Fostex HPA4BL amp. Much punchier bass and the power is awesome as I have yet to go over 10. Honestly sounds very full using balanced is excellent

Awesome! I had my heart set on the Fostex until the Sabaj D5 released and I decided to take a chance. It's nice to know that I might have made the right call.

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #137 of 298
How long have you had it?

I thought that mine sounded a bit bright for the first half hour and then it settled down to a balanced sound. Not sure if it was just warming up or the benefits of some burn-in.

Early days for me but I much prefer it to the Chord 2Qute that I had and it is way-way more versatile..................................

I let it reach equilibrium temp (since the ASR review shows it to measure poorly cold) and have then listened 8 hours or so. Early days for me too.

I've owned a RME ADI-2 DAC recently and I have a feeling the HPA was a fair bit better in the RME, wish I still had it, AB would be interesting. I think those two are closer in character than either of them to a Chord.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #138 of 298
I'm loving mine it has dethroned my beloved Fostex HPA4BL amp. Much punchier bass and the power is awesome as I have yet to go over 10. Honestly sounds very full using balanced is excellent

What sets of HPs are u guys using with the D5? My balanced adapter hasn't arrived yet so I'm running from the SE for the first week. But I do like how it makes my Sendy Aivas sing

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #139 of 298
Awesome! I had my heart set on the Fostex until the Sabaj D5 released and I decided to take a chance. It's nice to know that I might have made the right call.

I also had my eyes on the Fostex, even thought about going to Japan to pick it up directly. Though my first choice was/is the Monoprice THX 788 the almost $650 I'd have paid (after shipping and duty taxes) for it just made the D5 at $360 the easy choice.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #140 of 298
I have balanced xlr to 4.4 and also xlr to 2.5 so I'm covered. I'm using quite a variety of headphone/ iems/ earbuds with it

Sep 7, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #141 of 298
Oh yeahhhhhhh...3hr listening session on the first night, glorious :) P_20190907_133553_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #142 of 298
Got the D5 to replace SU-8 and Arcam rHead with an integrated unit from the Aliexpress sale. Initial impressions are good. I think I like the Clear's more from the SE output of the Sabaj than
the rHead. I still prefer the P20 a bit more because it has higher output impedance which smooths the Clear a bit and brings up bass for late night listening.

For the sale price it is a great deal.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #143 of 298
What sets of HPs are u guys using with the D5? My balanced adapter hasn't arrived yet so I'm running from the SE for the first week. But I do like how it makes my Sendy Aivas sing

Sabaj D5 as line out DAC feeding (XLR) MD THX 789 to Senn HD800 (XLR) - Strong and datailed bass, datailed and smooth treble, great mids - Love the combination

Sep 24, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #144 of 298
And it's here!!!
I received my D5 today, so excited to put it to use. However, my unit doesn't seem to have an AC voltage selector like I've seen in previous pictures of the unit. That location in mine is covered up by a sticker. Anyone else's has it this way? Do I need to peel off the sticker?

I'm guessing they cover the voltage switch so people don't set it the wrong way and fry something. The switch is under the sticker.

Sep 30, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #150 of 298
I've had mine for about a week now. Seriously LOVE this thing.

I wanted/needed a balanced DAC to go between several inputs (PC-USB, DAP-COAX and DAP-Optical) - and out to my Stax 353. I have files up to 24/192 and DSD-12.

The only thing that hung me up was the remote. You have to hit "C" on the remote before it will work. Weird, but it's sort-of explained in the manual.

Before I had this hooked up, I had a Cambridge DAC, connected via SE out.

I've tested it through all my file types/sample rates, and the screen picks them all up instantly. It basically covers everything.

As far as I can tell, this DAC is completely and utterly silent. No noise, no hum, no added anything. It's like a passive converter box in the middle.

The headphone amp wasn't something I really needed, but since it has a balanced output, and I have another pair of balanced headphones, I tried that out also. Not a LOT of punch, but definitely enough for my HD650's connected via 4-pin balanced connector.

Overall I'm more than happy with this little beast. I call it a beast because it's quite heavy. I have not opened it up, but from the pics I've seen it's got a decent transformer, and the case is solid metal, so I'm hoping there isn't a Beats-like weight inside to make it feel more substantial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back