S.M.S.L SU-9 DAC has dropped at SHENZHENAUDIO store timely, with ES9038PRO chip and MQA supported
Feb 6, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #91 of 162
I haven't had a chance to order anything from them yet. Bummer that the SU-9 had to go.

I'll be getting one from shenzenaudio, should have just bought it from them from the start. I've purchased from them before, they're reputable, sponsor on this forum and I just noticed that they started this thread.

Captdure.PNG

What kind of legit business located in the US, doesn't answer phone calls?

They market themselves as having excellent customer service and I was dumb enough to fall for that marketing without doing my research.

When I initially contacted them, they were very courteous, responded in one day and guaranteed that any issues would be taken care of with their "exceptional 2 year warranty". Learned my lesson.

One response, when Tina replied to my email, I responded right back in less than a minute and she replied right back with a I'm out of the office auto reply, haven't heard from her since. These dirtbags don't reply to emails when they don't feel like it or even pick up the phone when theres a problem.

I'm not even 100% sure this issue is with the SU-9, could be a Windows or other software issue but I'm not waiting till the return window is closed. I don't want to support those morons with my business.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #92 of 162
I'll be getting one from shenzenaudio, should have just bought it from them from the start. I've purchased from them before, they're reputable, sponsor on this forum and I just noticed that they started this thread.

Captdure.PNG

What kind of legit business located in the US, doesn't answer phone calls?

They market themselves as having excellent customer service and I was dumb enough to fall for that marketing without doing my research.

When I initially contacted them, they were very courteous, responded in one day and guaranteed that any issues would be taken care of with their "exceptional 2 year warranty". Learned my lesson.

One response, when Tina replied to my email, I responded right back in less than a minute and she replied right back with a I'm out of the office auto reply, haven't heard from her since. These dirtbags don't reply to emails when they don't feel like it or even pick up the phone when theres a problem.

I'm not even 100% sure this issue is with the SU-9, could be a Windows or other software issue but I'm not waiting till the return window is closed. I don't want to support those morons with my business.
Ordering from Shenzenaudio tends to be pretty quick shipping wise for an overseas company. Hopefully a second one works out. I think I'll personally be staying away from apos as well.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #93 of 162
I actually had good luck with Apos. It took about 9 days from date of order to receiving. I live in NYS. They were very helpful. I understand they are limited with personnel.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #94 of 162
I want to purchase xlr cables for the dac and I was wondering whether female or male connectors are needed. I can't tell from picture.
Basically all standard XLR cables have a male set of connectors on one end and a female set on the other end - for easy connections to a pre-amp.
Do you think a preamp is necessary for the SU9. I am just using it with desktop pc and separate speakers and a subwoofer. If one is recommended, would something like the schitt magnius 3+ suffice. Thanks
The Su-9 has a preamp function in the onboard menu options, but I use the separate preamp in my headphone amp for cleaner playback - though the built in Su-9 pre is not "bad" overall. Either a Schiit Magni 3+(RCA only) or the Schiit Magnius (balanced) will work well. I have a virtually new, 2 month old, barely used Magnius for sale for $175. PM me if you're interested.
One other thing, I thought I read somewhere that the amp should be digital too and not analog.
I don't agree. All balanced preamps and headphone amps are analog, whether solid state, tubed, or tube hybrid. Ask the community for further input.

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #96 of 162
I'd be very interested to hear others impressions of the treble on the SU-9. I purchased it based on multiple reviews suggesting it was more on the smooth/laidback side, and that the SU-9 in general doesn't suffer from any "sabre glare" - all music to my treble-sensitive ears. Personally I find the treble draws attention to itself - especially around vocal sibilance... I wouldn't say it's harsh or piercing, but there's something very thin/artificial/digital sounding about the timbre to me that I find distracting... Sorry about the subjective terminology! Hence why I'm interested in others' impressions - can't quite get my head around it :) (I have a fairly limited experience of DACs but am now thinking I might need to sacrifice MQA and other features and go down the multibit route for the more analogue sound I'm after...)

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #97 of 162
Hi i dont know if this is the right thread. I just got an SMSL SU-9 and installed the xmosusb audio drivers on windows 10 but I cant go over 32 bit 384 khz. What Im doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #98 of 162
Hi i dont know if this is the right thread. I just got an SMSL SU-9 and installed the xmosusb audio drivers on windows 10 but I cant go over 32 bit 384 khz. What Im doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
You need a player that will allow you to upscale past the windows limit of 32/384. Anything that can do exclusive mode I believe will work. I personally use Audirvana. Other players exist as well.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #99 of 162
You need a player that will allow you to upscale past the windows limit of 32/384. Anything that can do exclusive mode I believe will work. I personally use Audirvana. Other players exist as well.
Ok thanks. Well, not that I would ever use 768khz which is kinda dumb but I thought somethin went wrong with the setup,because I can select 768khz with my mojo in windows 10 audio menu but not with this.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #100 of 162
Ok thanks. Well, not that I would ever use 768khz which is kinda dumb but I thought somethin went wrong with the setup,because I can select 768khz with my mojo in windows 10 audio menu but not with this.
Its windows, its limited to 32 bit 384khz.

You should use 768khz if possible, thats what you paid for and thats how the product is advertised. Just need the right player.

Although, I think DSD512 sounds better, imo.

I had alot of problems with foobar working with DSD and PCM, it would work sporadically. I hate spending money on software but Audirvana and Jriver players work really well, I ended up using Jriver because I liked the organization of songs better but Audirvana is really good too. Like Corgifall recommended Audirvana is a really good choice if you don't want to fiddle with controls and configure things. It has simplified controls over PCM and DSD and everything works ! No bugs that I experienced during the month I used it.

They both have 30 day trials if you want to try it out. Can't go wrong with either.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #101 of 162
Its windows, its limited to 32 bit 384khz.

You should use 768khz if possible, thats what you paid for and thats how the product is advertised. Just need the right player.

Although, I think DSD512 sounds better, imo.

I had alot of problems with foobar working with DSD and PCM, it would work sporadically. I hate spending money on software but Audirvana and Jriver players work really well, I ended up using Jriver because I liked the organization of songs better but Audirvana is really good too. Like Corgifall recommended Audirvana is a really good choice if you don't want to fiddle with controls and configure things. It has simplified controls over PCM and DSD and everything works ! No bugs that I experienced during the month I used it.

They both have 30 day trials if you want to try it out. Can't go wrong with either.
Thanks for the advice! I always use 32 bit 48 khz in windows and direct mode with all my music software. Im using Jriver and Musicbee mostly and Tidal for streaming. Might try Audirvana, some friends have recommended it too.
Best regards.

May 20, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #102 of 162
Question: My SU-9 works perfectly with Windows standard USB driver. I force Windows to upsample to 32bit 384kHz in "Sound Properties. Now, SMSL website offers an XMOS driver for Windows which I downloaded and installed no problem. I'm assuming it's better than the standard Windows USB drivers. But I can't get anything to play through the SU-9? Has anyone experienced this problem trying to install the XMOS drivers for the SU-9? Does this unlock some added features or what? The sound of the DAC is fantastic with the standard Windows USB drivers. Please advise if you definitely understand these questions or have experience with similar SU-9 problems or solutions.

May 20, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #103 of 162
Question: My SU-9 works perfectly with Windows standard USB driver. I force Windows to upsample to 32bit 384kHz in "Sound Properties. Now, SMSL website offers an XMOS driver for Windows which I downloaded and installed no problem. I'm assuming it's better than the standard Windows USB drivers. But I can't get anything to play through the SU-9? Has anyone experienced this problem trying to install the XMOS drivers for the SU-9? Does this unlock some added features or what? The sound of the DAC is fantastic with the standard Windows USB drivers. Please advise if you definitely understand these questions or have experience with similar SU-9 problems or solutions.
What are you using to play music?

May 20, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #105 of 162
Laptop/Youtubes
Should work with the SMSL drivers.

I'm not sure but I don't think they do anything special, just give you quick access to the windows settings and change the buffer size.

Are you sure you have the correct sound playback device selected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back