S.M.S.L SP400 Impressions thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #61 of 74
I'm super happy with mine. Low gain for aeon Noire, and Meze Liric. Even with negative pre-amp I have plenty of headroom.
Great to hear, appreciate the input đź‘Ť

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #62 of 74
What's the usable range for the remote? Can it be used at an angle, or does the remote have to be pointed straight at the sensor?

I'll transfer commands from the stock remote to a more powerful learning remote, but some amps are limited by the IR receiving sensor...

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #63 of 74
Whats the usable range for the remote? Does it work when pointed from an angle, or does it have to be pointed straight at the sensor?

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #65 of 74
Have been enjoying the S.M.S.L. SP400 for close to a year now.

It is paired with the Gustard X18, mostly in NOS mode, running the Focal Clear (OG), Martin Logan Mikros 90, Quad ERA-1 and Audeze MM-500--all balanced.

The only thing I would wish for is that the display could be completely defeated.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #66 of 74

It is paired with the Gustard X18, mostly in NOS mode, running the Focal Clear (OG), Martin Logan Mikros 90, Quad ERA-1 and Audeze MM-500--all balanced.

The only thing I would wish for is that the display could be completely defeated.
I’ve been using it since launch and it continues to be a favorite. Seeing as Topping lets you have the displays auto turn off after a few seconds it would be nice to see an updated sp400 replacement in the future with more modern options

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #67 of 74
Maybe this is iconoclastic on head-fi but I've been using it as a preamp only. And as such I think it is very, very good. It does its thing and gets totally out of the way sonically. As such it's very good.

May 5, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #70 of 74

salve a nuestra reina y madre bendita de guadalupe!

And yes, I love my SP400. I run it with a build of the Signalyst DCS2 Pure DSD DAC. At first I agreed it had too little gain. The DSC2 only has transformer fed XLR outs and they only output at best 2v.

I don't know what happened, but before I sold it I gave it one more try. My Sennheiser HD650 were too soft, but my Focal Clear MG come through absolutely perfect! Typically I only need to go to 70 or 75 on volume, but on the quietest tracks, I need to go into the 90's. But I have never found anything it can't handle yet at adequate volume.

Goes to show that synergy is everything.

May 5, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #72 of 74
1714955783070.png

I'm enjoying mine with SMSL M400. In this setup, I'm using balanced mode between dac and amp, moondrop blessing 2 via xlr, low gain and I'm getting good volume at 35. Also testing the m400 via iis cable (shanling) and using smsl po100 digital converter to convert usb to iis. In the picture is the Hiby R3 Sabre Pro DAP. If I'm using hd600/6xx, I would need volume 65 in mid gain to sound ok. I'm noticing low/mid/high gain doesn't make much difference on the volume level which is a bit disappointing and feeling misled but whatever, the sound is great with this amp/dac pairing.

Sound from the 6.35mm is weak.. Tested with beyerdynamic 770 pro 80ohm, I needed volume almost at full 90++ to enjoy the sound. I won't recommend the 6.35mm SE for headphones but perhaps with iem should be ok?

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #74 of 74
I just bought a pair of Fosi ZA3 amps and I'm back to using the SP400 as a preamp. And I bought a programmable full alu remote from AliExpress instead of the flimsy plastic remote. That's fine in itself but I lost one of these remotes. But the new one... Like a small brick with super responsive buttons and much better response from the amp. Nice tactile click instead of the soggy rubber buttons. Looks and feels very premium. As you can see in the picture.

And as a preamp it is fully transparent. I really cannot hear the difference between with or without.
Yup, the Ares held me back from getting the M400.

IMG_20240506_235754.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back