S.M.S.L SP400 Impressions thread
Nov 4, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #46 of 69
Does the SP400 have enough power to drive the (non-stealth) Hifiman Arya?

The paper specs are impressive, but in practice the amp seems underpowered because it's hampered by low gain.

What volume level do you get to, at what gain setting to reach a comfortable listening level? Is there headroom for more volume? What DAC are you using with the amp (I want to know if you need an ultra high-output DAC with this amp in order to reach reasonable volume levels with hard-to-drive headphones)?

Nov 4, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #47 of 69
It’s going to depend on your input voltage. Single ended 1.7 volts probably not. If you can push input using balanced input 3+ volts or more the better. Amp loves higher voltages from your DAC.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #48 of 69
Does the SP400 have enough power to drive the (non-stealth) Hifiman Arya?

The paper specs are impressive, but in practice the amp seems underpowered because it's hampered by low gain.

What volume level do you get to, at what gain setting to reach a comfortable listening level? Is there headroom for more volume? What DAC are you using with the amp (I want to know if you need an ultra high-output DAC with this amp in order to reach reasonable volume levels with hard-to-drive headphones)?
tqSwL4o.jpg
High gain for pretty much any headphone. More than enough power for anything & clean power while keeping some warmth other THX amps don't have.
Arya 34-36 volume. He6se 38-70. HD800 28-34 volume for a few references.
Lots of headroom. Using a topping D90 (XLR).

Nov 4, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #49 of 69
tqSwL4o.jpg
High gain for pretty much any headphone. More than enough power for anything & clean power while keeping some warmth other THX amps don't have.
Arya 34-36 volume. He6se 38-70. HD800 28-34 volume for a few references.
Lots of headroom. Using a topping D90 (XLR).
I wonder if the headroom can be further improved if there is a preamp such as Topping Pre90 between the DAC and SMSL SP400 ?

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #53 of 69
It is the same on all of these dual/triple function dials. But you should not confuse the feel of this digital dial with that of the common potmeter. With the good old potentiometer this kind of play would indicate a bad, cheap potmeter that will crackle within the shortest time. But it's not. It's not the same thing. So it has no consequences.

Jun 28, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #54 of 69
Smsl D300 + SP400 sounds pretty good to me. Very clean. Definition in the bass. Fast.
But doesn't sound boring or sterile.

Using -7db headroom in roon. And equilizer for some extra bass.

High Gain , volume between 54-65.

The D300 outputs only 4 volt but I have still plenty of headroom on my aeon 2 Noire.

But it's probably not more powerful than my singxer SA1

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #55 of 69
I purchased one of these from Amazon to replace my Benchmark HPA4 and while I am happy with it, the volume knob wiggles a bit. Is this true of anyone else's?
Hi, I’m looking at HPA4 and stumbled upon your post.

Still enjoying the Sp400? Any drawbacks in comparison with Hpa4?

Sep 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #56 of 69
So far I really enjoy the SP400 with my Stealth Headphones. More than enough power. I must say that while the HPA4 had a little of something more it doesn't justify the price differential. At least not for me.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #57 of 69
So far I really enjoy the SP400 with my Stealth Headphones. More than enough power. I must say that while the HPA4 had a little of something more it doesn't justify the price differential. At least not for me.
Thank you, appreciate your input 👍

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #58 of 69
Hi, I’m looking at HPA4 and stumbled upon your post.

Still enjoying the Sp400? Any drawbacks in comparison with Hpa4?
The HPA4 has better build quality, particularly with respect to the volume knob.

They both sound the same to me, and the measurements I've seen are essentially identical for both. I only used the HPA4 as a headphone amp, so I can't comment on its performance as a line amplifier.

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #59 of 69
The HPA4 has better build quality, particularly with respect to the volume knob.

They both sound the same to me, and the measurements I've seen are essentially identical for both. I only used the HPA4 as a headphone amp, so I can't comment on its performance as a line amplifier.
Thank you 🙏 .

I’m looking at an additional amplifier for my zmf verite. I’d very much like to try a Thx-based amp. The sp400 seems like a great amp to test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back