S.M.S.L SP400 Impressions thread
May 17, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 69
I wonder what it is that people keep comparing SMSL to Topping as if Topping is the brand to beat. Topping is cutting corners (in a deceptive way, like impedance mismatch with common standard, high output). But it's like everybody shouting 'herecy' if you you dare touch the subject of their adoration. I've had Topping amps but there wasn't anything special to them comparing to other Chinese brands other than a clean exterior that doesn't look homemade.

SMSL is not that different. They're not always perfect but I like them. They cut corners too but at least with things that I can fix. Like too cheap input caps on the DA-8S. After some mods it sounds awesome. I like the look and it just works.I can't consider the A90 (not that I would) because of the impedance mismatch with my Ares II. And the Topping preamp...What? You need an extra case for extra inputs? Who makes up this stuff? I remember the days that my Cyrus amp had 5 inputs, including phono and i used them all.

II ordered fhe SP400 (mainly) because of the pre-amp function. The relay volume with remote is really great. I can put the Ares on the XLR and the rest via passive switch on the RCA. I don't really need it as a headphone amp but it completes my setup and is more convenient and versatile than an OTL tube HP amp.

For the first time in 35 years I'll have a stack of 2 matching components again with the SP400 on top of the DP5. Now I can wait for the amp in the 400 series, (if...) wondering what they'll come up with.
Topping seems like the flavor of the day.. I've never tried any of their offerings let alone seen them in the wild. But definitely looking for an IEM friendly solid state amp that can also drive my larger headphones. It seems like the SH-9 or the SP400 fits the bill but I was concerned about the sound being sterile. I use a TEAC UD-505 as my DAC. I would dare say the DAC is "warm neutral" (fun, musical, resolving ) tuning wise. So I am curious to see how THX amps would perform if it is truly achromatic should expect to just hear the amplification of my DAC? Please correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood how the SMSL Amps work. My current Amp seems a little under powered to me based off my experiences with my previous Amp (Liquid Platinum).

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #32 of 69
I think you mistake neutral for sterile. Cheaper amps tend to measure fine and sound 'neutral' but often lose a lot of microdetails, are slow and veiled. Better amps tend to be quieter in the background, have better soundstage, have clearly defined rise and fall times without falling off to quick or sustain too long. The better stuff all converges in the high end and are not allowed flaws that could eufemistically be considered as 'character' so are pretty neutral. But that doesn't mean they are boring.

I think this one gets plenty of juice from the lower supply, and clean. I expect it to sound fast and clean with plenty of control over all frequencies. So I don't expect it to sound cold or sterile but smooth, controlled and fast. At least that's what I glean from all the reviews I read/saw and the technical layout.

May 19, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #33 of 69
I think you mistake neutral for sterile. Cheaper amps tend to measure fine and sound 'neutral' but often lose a lot of microdetails, are slow and veiled. Better amps tend to be quieter in the background, have better soundstage, have clearly defined rise and fall times without falling off to quick or sustain too long. The better stuff all converges in the high end and are not allowed flaws that could eufemistically be considered as 'character' so are pretty neutral. But that doesn't mean they are boring.

I think this one gets plenty of juice from the lower supply, and clean. I expect it to sound fast and clean with plenty of control over all frequencies. So I don't expect it to sound cold or sterile but smooth, controlled and fast. At least that's what I glean from all the reviews I read/saw and the technical layout.
As an owner of the SP400 paired with Focal Utopia you really got a point. Smooth controlled and fast are perfect to describe it.
Soundstage, instrument positioning and layering are WELL ABOVE its price point imo.

May 20, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #34 of 69
As an owner of the SP400 paired with Focal Utopia you really got a point. Smooth controlled and fast are perfect to describe it.
Soundstage, instrument positioning and layering are WELL ABOVE its price point imo.
I had lower expectations since they attached the dreaded THX label to the sp400. Once I really got to testing the sp400, I was super impressed with how non clinical and lean it sounded.

May 22, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #35 of 69
I picked up my unit yesterday. Again it didn't take very long to arrive from China, and no drama on the VAT. So when I came home I plugged everything in and had a first listen. And I have to say.... I've got nothing. It just takes away all doubt, it's like its not even there. I only listened with my Takman HF580 planar so far since this is my best and most problematic (I think) headphone so far. Everything I hear that I could consider not proper is clearly on account of the HF. All other headphones I will try later but they are not really intended for 'the big rig'.

Also as a preamplifier it really gets out of the way. I only had a quick listen only with the Ares dac via xlr and xlr>rca cable to my amp and as far as I could tell it was completely transparent. So my fear it would interfere with my big speaker setup proved pretty much unfounded. I still have to try my other dac and phono via the RCA input.

So far it looks rather impeccable just like the DP5 (besides its usb clutter dementia) and thoroughly enjoyable.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #36 of 69
In today's article we review the SMSL SP400 amplifier. Find out why we like and recommend this amplifier, now in this full review on Headfonia!
https://www.headfonia.com/smsl-sp400-review/
SMSL SP400_a.jpg

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #37 of 69
thank you for the review. Well done. I can't fault it within the limitations of the reviewers auxiliary equipment.

The only thing I would like to point out is that the Sp400 is not an amp (as in normal categories of hifi an amplifier means speaker integrated amplifier) but more specifically a headphone amplifier /pre-amplifier. I understand we are on head-fi here but there's a bigger world out there that doesn't exclusively listens to headphones :wink:

So far I use it as pre-amp only and while this seems a bit decadent I've always found active pre-amps unnecessarily detractors for my very minimalist approach. They always get in the way and hold my system back in transparency, openness, spaciousness, directness and silence. But the SP400 doesn't. It does do something to buffer/amplify sources while it doesn't impede sound quality. Maybe just a tiny bit but I have a real hard time discerning that while it does boost my little 4x1543 R2R dac with passive output.
Without the SP400 the Ares II is definitely louder than the 4x1543, over 5dB difference. With the SP400 pre-amp the tables are turned and the 4x1543 is just the tiniest bit louder so it is a lot easier to compare dacs where differences are hard to discern. Now i don't have to get up and even out volume. You know how distracting that is since auditory memory is rather short. And these dacs are very similar, both R2R dacs, both passive output stage. The only clear difference is output level (mostly caused by different output impedance I think) which is really not an indicator for sound quality.
With the SP400 I can focus on the real differences. Different presentation of ambiance, soundstage, dynamics, air. The Ares and TDA1543 are like twin brothers where the Ares is a bit more introvert, delicate, focused on the background of things and the 4xTDA1543 is more extrovert, direct, open, upfront. Like male and feminin nuances of the same. Actually, the 4x1543 more deserves the name Ares or Mars where the Denafrips would be an amazon or Diana. Or Hercules and Xenia.

Anyway, as a pre-amp the SP400 really works well with its remote controlled relay volume and 99% transparancy to the signal.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #38 of 69
thank you for the review. Well done. I can't fault it within the limitations of the reviewers auxiliary equipment.

The only thing I would like to point out is that the Sp400 is not an amp (as in normal categories of hifi an amplifier means speaker integrated amplifier) but more specifically a headphone amplifier /pre-amplifier. I understand we are on head-fi here but there's a bigger world out there that doesn't exclusively listens to headphones :wink:

So far I use it as pre-amp only and while this seems a bit decadent I've always found active pre-amps unnecessarily detractors for my very minimalist approach. They always get in the way and hold my system back in transparency, openness, spaciousness, directness and silence. But the SP400 doesn't. It does do something to buffer/amplify sources while it doesn't impede sound quality. Maybe just a tiny bit but I have a real hard time discerning that while it does boost my little 4x1543 R2R dac with passive output.
Without the SP400 the Ares II is definitely louder than the 4x1543, over 5dB difference. With the SP400 pre-amp the tables are turned and the 4x1543 is just the tiniest bit louder so it is a lot easier to compare dacs where differences are hard to discern. Now i don't have to get up and even out volume. You know how distracting that is since auditory memory is rather short. And these dacs are very similar, both R2R dacs, both passive output stage. The only clear difference is output level (mostly caused by different output impedance I think) which is really not an indicator for sound quality.
With the SP400 I can focus on the real differences. Different presentation of ambiance, soundstage, dynamics, air. The Ares and TDA1543 are like twin brothers where the Ares is a bit more introvert, delicate, focused on the background of things and the 4xTDA1543 is more extrovert, direct, open, upfront. Like male and feminin nuances of the same. Actually, the 4x1543 more deserves the name Ares or Mars where the Denafrips would be an amazon or Diana. Or Hercules and Xenia.

Anyway, as a pre-amp the SP400 really works well with its remote controlled relay volume and 99% transparancy to the signal.
I purchased one of these after reading glowing reviews and must say it is excellent value.

I had intended to do an A/B comparison with my Audio-gd Master 9 taking feed from an Audio-gd R8 DAC but found the sensitivity too low so it went where it was finally intended, into another room with an LKS DA-004 DAC with plenty of output. It has been on for a couple of days now with Focal Utopias and Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

Now I mistrust auditory memory and prejudices inevitably come into play so my conclusions are tentative. They are that the SP400 has superb control of the bass but lacks a tad finesse with the mids/highs. This lack is frustratingly subtle and hard to pin point but makes itself evident in classical string music. But play jazz and there are no reservations. Bottom line at this stage is that yes, the Audio-gd Master 9 is better but compare the price of the two and it is obvious which is the better value.

I would be interested to have details of modifications which would improve it - is there a site anywhere with information? It is very possible a couple of mods could bring it up to level or even exceed what the Audio-gd can manage. And I should add that the Master 9 is better that the Violectric V280 it replaced so is no slouch.

I'll attach a flow chart showing the headphone madness here.

Attachments

• Headphone systems 2021.jpg
    Headphone systems 2021.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #39 of 69
While I love the SP400 I do struggle with whether it really outputs the power that is claimed. Running my ADI -2 Pro plus 19db which is about 7v into the SP400. On high gain I’m pushing 75 on the volume into my DCA Stealth headphones. It’s comfortable but not crazy loud. Not much headroom. My Monoprice 887 seems more powerful.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #40 of 69
While I love the SP400 I do struggle with whether it really outputs the power that is claimed. Running my ADI -2 Pro plus 19db which is about 7v into the SP400. On high gain I’m pushing 75 on the volume into my DCA Stealth headphones. It’s comfortable but not crazy loud. Not much headroom. My Monoprice 887 seems more powerful.
You have hit on its weakness - not great sensitivity. To hear it at full tilt requies better than average output from a DAC.

Oct 20, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #41 of 69
75-99 is a lot of headroom, use that volume, it won't clip anyway!

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #42 of 69
hi everyone,
Just got my SP400 yesterday for my 2nd set up.
The amp is connected to a Heed Obelisk Dac ("analogue" sounding) fed by an Auralic Aries used as a Roon endpoint.
Before the SMSL I had a Beyerdynamic a2, very nice amp but lacking power to drive all my headphones properly.
Once the Beyer was sold, I bought an SPL Phonitor 2.... very disappointing as the sound was very boring and lacking dynamics. So I returned the SPL and decided to give the SPL a chance. I had THX in the past (Monolith & SMSL SU9), but this one seems to me a bit more warm sounding than the Monolith and pretty similar to SU9.
The amp pairs very well with my DAC which outputs 2.5V, slightly more than the standard 2V.
I am using this with single ended connection, but I am thinking of getting a balanced DAC to try that too.
The SP400 drives my ZMF Eikon very smoothly, I really like what I am hearing. Same for easier to drive cans like the Focal Clear and Elegia ot planars like Audeze LCD classic.

However, I share the same doubt expressed by @fm540i ... I used Dan Clark Aeon and could not drive them properly with the SP400 so I am not sure about the power output declared by Smsl.

Nov 1, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #43 of 69
I’ve boosted my ADI-2 Pro output to +19 db..roughly 7v output. Driving my DCA Stealth easily on high gain at around 50-55 volume. Great soundstage and layering from the SP400 Stealth combo

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #44 of 69
I’ve boosted my ADI-2 Pro output to +19 db..roughly 7v output. Driving my DCA Stealth easily on high gain at around 50-55 volume. Great soundstage and layering from the SP400 Stealth combo
Well, 7V is almost doubling standard XLR out (4V) ... not to mention SE (2V) , which means you are feeding the SMSL with a very loud signal, capable of driving DCA easily
Not many sources can do that

Nov 2, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #45 of 69
That’s right, I believe the SMSL DAC and the ADI DAC/PRO are both suited for this. A standard XLR output works well I just needed to run the SP400 at 70-80 volume which it does easily. It’s relay volume control won’t clip since it’s designed to run full range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back