S.M.S.L SP400 Impressions thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #61 of 69
I'm super happy with mine. Low gain for aeon Noire, and Meze Liric. Even with negative pre-amp I have plenty of headroom.
Great to hear, appreciate the input 👍

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #62 of 69
What's the usable range for the remote? Can it be used at an angle, or does the remote have to be pointed straight at the sensor?

I'll transfer commands from the stock remote to a more powerful learning remote, but some amps are limited by the IR receiving sensor...

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #63 of 69
Whats the usable range for the remote? Does it work when pointed from an angle, or does it have to be pointed straight at the sensor?

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #65 of 69
Have been enjoying the S.M.S.L. SP400 for close to a year now.

It is paired with the Gustard X18, mostly in NOS mode, running the Focal Clear (OG), Martin Logan Mikros 90, Quad ERA-1 and Audeze MM-500--all balanced.

The only thing I would wish for is that the display could be completely defeated.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #66 of 69
Have been enjoying the S.M.S.L. SP400 for close to a year now.

It is paired with the Gustard X18, mostly in NOS mode, running the Focal Clear (OG), Martin Logan Mikros 90, Quad ERA-1 and Audeze MM-500--all balanced.

The only thing I would wish for is that the display could be completely defeated.
I’ve been using it since launch and it continues to be a favorite. Seeing as Topping lets you have the displays auto turn off after a few seconds it would be nice to see an updated sp400 replacement in the future with more modern options

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #67 of 69
Maybe this is iconoclastic on head-fi but I've been using it as a preamp only. And as such I think it is very, very good. It does its thing and gets totally out of the way sonically. As such it's very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back