S:flo2 impressions thread
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,601 of 3,682
I sure wish Teclast would do a re issue of these ... 

Sorry to tell you, but this will never happen.
Fiio X3 got some potential.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #3,602 of 3,682
The S: Flo2 was quite a unique player. Difficult to imagine anything with the same sound quality:cost ratio. The Fiio X3 is the closest replacement and it will be interesting to see what current T51/S:Flo2 owners think of it.

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,603 of 3,682
As I read the T51/S:Flo2 is in the same category, but the X3 is slightly better, anyway I'm waiting impatiently my moded T51 from BurnwayGTA and I hope it will be a clear upgrade 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #3,604 of 3,682
Quote:
The S: Flo2 was quite a unique player. Difficult to imagine anything with the same sound quality:cost ratio. The Fiio X3 is the closest replacement and it will be interesting to see what current T51/S:Flo2 owners think of it.

I went from the S:flo 2 to a Cowon J3 and to this day (after a good six months using the J3) am bugged by how less resolving the J3 is compared to the old S:flo 2. Really hard to believe the difference. J3 is a wonder of a player regarding use and especially it's battery life ... but not even close to the sonic equal of the Sflo ... 

S:flo 2 with an Arrow amp is/was by far, the best portable sound I've ever heard.

The Fiio looks interesting ... but I'm really much more interested in the iBasso DX50 ...

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,606 of 3,682
With the X3 arriving there might be a few S:Flo2's for sale from people who dislike its interface. iBasso DX50 looks interesting especially the up to 2TB expansion capabilities. The name of that player makes me think of an extra bass media player but I am certain it isn't. I noticed the other day that the Cowon J3 was the #1 player on Head-fi, in front of the Colorfly C4 and DX100.

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3,607 of 3,682
Quote:
Yes totaly agree, I have also a J3, I'm talking about the headphone out of the T51, the DX50 is promising I have also an eye on it, and the future X5 can be also a good competitor 
wink.gif

I rather enjoyed the headphone out of the S:flo 2 as well. Slightly better than the line out to be honest... markedly better sound stage I think. But the Arrow 3G's bass boost is like sonic butter to Shure SE535's and so always used the Arrow.

I might buy a used one if I can find it. Just don't think the battery is going to be good at this point, in just about all of them.

I really want a player with the dual DAC architecture. My desktop DAC (a MHDT Stockholm) is also a dual DAC architecture (R2R monolithic) and I like the way it renders audio as well.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3,609 of 3,682
@s1rrah I still think you can buy T51s new from China. The batteries of these players are very durable. I am still getting 8 hours out of one I bought used, there seems to be little deterioration. I would disagree with you about the line out. To me the TI OPA2604 is an improvement over the Philips TDA1308 using my Fiio E9 amp.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #3,610 of 3,682
Hi all, teclast t51 will not buy a new one - it was taken out of production three years ago. As a replacement, I suggest a modification Colorfly CK4 +, it sounds even better Tekmod, though the cost is higher. Modification for CK4 + I will present on August 3.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3,611 of 3,682
Migou67: so how is the s:Flo2 mod? :)

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,614 of 3,682
As a S:flo 2 owner, when I saw iBasso had released its new audio player DX50, I was really excited and wanted to give it a shot. Fortunately, there is one headphone shop nearby selling it, I made a rather quick comparison there. First and the most important, S:flo 2 sounds better, I wasn't sure about it at first, but after spending a while switching between them, the result became very clear. DX50 sounds decent, but it sounds more compact than S:flo 2, it feels like everything is bound together when comparing with S:flo 2. The sound stage of S:flo 2 is noticeably bigger, instruments are much more separated, and the clarity of S:flo 2 really blows DX50 away. The earphone I used for comparison was Westone 3 with Shure Olive foam eartips, I only tried phone out on both devices since I didn't have an amplifier, the music files were 16 bits flac, I used microSD card on both players and listened to exactly same songs, the firmware on DX50 was 1.2.2, and 2.30 on S:flo 2, no EQ on DX50, and the EQ on S:flo 2 was set to "user" and flat.

My English is poor, hope you guys can understand me, I will try to write more about DX50 when I have some free time, I got to sleep now..

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #3,615 of 3,682
Welcome to the forum IINx. Your English is fine. When you say the DX50 sounds more compact do you mean it has a smaller soundstage or has less bass/treble extension or is compressed ? I haven't seen any comparisons between the S:Flo and newer players. Are you able to compare the two players with full size headphones ? I am a little surprised because this DAP seems to fulfil most of the criteria for a high grade player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back