S:flo2 impressions thread
Dec 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #2,912 of 3,682
I read somewhere that the bass of the S:flo2 was slightly lean, is that so?

also I wonder if someone have done any comparsions with Sansa Clip or Iriver Clix2? I have both but my clix2 is slooowly dying, its screen and batteries are fading away.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #2,913 of 3,682

Quote:

also I wonder if someone have done any comparsions with Sansa Clip or Iriver Clix2? I have both but my clix2 is slooowly dying, its screen and batteries are fading away.

That was one person who said that about the bass rolling off or something.  Just silly.  Plenty of comparisons versus the CLip+ in this thread.  They honestly don't even belong in the same comparison.  Like comparing a motorcycle to an SUV.  You can do it but what's that gonna do for you?  Many Sflo2 users were former Clip+ users or still are using both.  Give it a read.  

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #2,914 of 3,682

Quote:

The bass on the S:Flo2 makes me smile, especially when I'm home in the quiet since things like sitting on a bus or car tend to drown out the lowest frequencies. It's better in every way compared to my old Sony player and my iPhone. I admittedly EQ it up a bit though but who wouldn't when you're listening to something with deep slamming bass lines?!

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #2,915 of 3,682
Hi

What's the frequency response of S:flo 2
Wolfson WM8740 has sampling frequency : 8kHz - 192kHz, is it the frequency response like some players have 20-20kHz?

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #2,916 of 3,682
Hi

What's the frequency response of S:flo 2
Wolfson WM8740 has sampling frequency : 8kHz - 192kHz, is it the frequency response like some players have 20-20kHz?

I think you have confused sampling frequency over output frequency. Just because WM8740 can sample at 192kHz doesn't mean it will output over 20kHz.at the end. Oversampling is a technique used to lower noise. Sampling process will generate noise, and oversampling pushes the noise over to the inaudible range (>20kHz), then a low pass filter is implemented right after the DAC to filter out those noise, leaving just the audible range ( under 20kHz). It is not about whether it is capable, but whether it is desirable. On a side point, the controller chip used on s:flo2 doesn't support 24bit / 192kHz at all.

Anyway, shigzeo already did a RMAA test over it on an old firmware, you can read it here. A further test done on a Chinese site revealed the old firmware is overloading the opamp, causing the performance drop, and a new (current) firmware was released to address the issue... and yes, s:flo2 can do 20Hz ~ 20kHz.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #2,919 of 3,682
Okay. Im getting my S:flo2  soon and was just curious. Im going to pair it with Radius DDM and Sunrise Charm. DDM is quite heavy on bass so if flo2 would have been lean it wouldn't have mattered much.

But the headphone out with the internal amp has its own character I guess, compared to the clean line out. How would you guys describe that character? Im not going to use an external amp. I will continue search in this thread for more valuable information.

Quote:
Quote:

That was one person who said that about the bass rolling off or something.  Just silly.  Plenty of comparisons versus the CLip+ in this thread.  They honestly don't even belong in the same comparison.  Like comparing a motorcycle to an SUV.  You can do it but what's that gonna do for you?  Many Sflo2 users were former Clip+ users or still are using both.  Give it a read.  

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #2,920 of 3,682
sound quality wise how does the S:Flo2 fare compare to cowon S9/J3 ? because i am  getting an upgrade for my lost sansa clip.

does the S:Flo2 need any specific software to sync music like itune for ipod? or just any music player like winamp is ok ?

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #2,921 of 3,682

Quote:
sound quality wise how does the S:Flo2 fare compare to cowon S9/J3 ? because i am  getting an upgrade for my lost sansa clip.

does the S:Flo2 need any specific software to sync music like itune for ipod? or just any music player like winamp is ok ?

S:flo 2 should sound much better, so they say.

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2,922 of 3,682
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new mp3 player, my kenwood hd60gd9 is finally dieing, the battery won't hold its charge for long.  I don't know whether to go for the Headdirect 601, Cowon J3 or the s:flo2.  Any suggestions will be great. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #2,924 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new mp3 player, my kenwood hd60gd9 is finally dieing, the battery won't hold its charge for long.  I don't know whether to go for the Headdirect 601, Cowon J3 or the s:flo2.  Any suggestions will be great. 

Having owned the J3, S:flo2, and HM-602 (similar, but apparently not quite the same as a 601) I can say that for me the 602 was by far the clear winner in terms of pure SQ, and is the one I kept and use every day. However, it seems not everyone agrees with me, and also if things like album art, battery life, smaller size etc are more important to you than they seem to be for me, your opinion may differ.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #2,925 of 3,682

Quote:

It depends on what you want. If you want great EQ options and amazing battery life (and great video capability), go with the J3. If you want a cold sound signature (and good video capability), go for the S:Flo 2. If you want a warm, musical sound signature, go for the HM-601.

Note: I have only heard the S:Flo 2 and J3 (final production). The HM-602 I heard was a prototype (at Can Jam).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back