S:flo2 impressions thread
Oct 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #2,701 of 3,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyex99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't really say recessed vocals but overall loss of details and sound abit fuzzy...

Fuzzy vocals....

What phones are you using?  I'm sure I would have noticed while listening to my Harry Nilsson amongst 5 different sources.  I'll listen again.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #2,702 of 3,682

Quote:

Fuzzy vocals....

What phones are you using?  I'm sure I would have noticed while listening to my Harry Nilsson amongst 5 different sources.  I'll listen again.

I am using UE TF10.
I meant fuzzy background(details)... Sorry if i did not express myself clearly! I think i made it kinda confusing for you...
I listening to FLAC and APE files... Or could it be my files? but i dun hear it on D10 dac/amp to my laptop...

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #2,704 of 3,682

Quote:

I am using UE TF10.
I meant fuzzy background(details)... Sorry if i did not express myself clearly! I think i made it kinda confusing for you...
I listening to FLAC and APE files... Or could it be my files? but i dun hear it on D10 dac/amp to my laptop...

In this case, it is not the S:Flo 2's fault. I used to own the UE TF10, and have to say the mids on the UE TF10 are recessed. The reason you don't hear it with your D10, is the D10 amps the TF10 well enough to bring the mids in line with the rest of the spectrum.

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #2,705 of 3,682
if by 'fuzzy', the TF10 owner means 'background noise', he may be right. The TF10 isn't the most resolving earphone on the market, but the S:Flo2 does have some background noise - not a lot, but enough that I could pick it up with most of my earphones. But still, it is among the top 20%, so I'd not worry about it overmuch.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #2,706 of 3,682
Oh, the drama! No wonder I like this place so much!  
popcorn.gif

Isn't it common knowledge to everyone that the instant you start fiddling around with your electronic gear you void the warranty? That has been a standard for a long time and it is perfectly logical to this Vulcan....

EDIT: the posts I was referring to have been removed. So please disregard this post

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #2,707 of 3,682

Quote:
In this case, it is not the S:Flo 2's fault. I used to own the UE TF10, and have to say the mids on the UE TF10 are recessed. The reason you don't hear it with your D10, is the D10 amps the TF10 well enough to bring the mids in line with the rest of the spectrum.

I understand this... I can feel the recessed mids... That why I am trying to use D10 to make it sound fuller...
What i am hearing is overwhelming(more than heavy) cymbals and bass which is start to mask the vocal as compared to the HO of S:FLO2.

Quote:
if by 'fuzzy', the TF10 owner means 'background noise', he may be right. The TF10 isn't the most resolving earphone on the market, but the S:Flo2 does have some background noise - not a lot, but enough that I could pick it up with most of my earphones. But still, it is among the top 20%, so I'd not worry about it overmuch.

hmmm.... Background noise...What i am hearing is more like less details and poorer separation of background...
Does the stock OAMP plays a part?

Once again... Thanks for everyone help... I am sorry that i am quite bad in describing audio characteristic...
I can understand that people said HO> LO to cheaper amp but D10 isn't entry level...
Plus D10 is a good match to my TF10 as a DAC/AMP
That why i am wondering why i cannot achieve the same level of SQ
since S:FLO2 boast dual wolfson wm8740...

Please wake me up if i am dreaming and expecting too much from all this portable gear...

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #2,708 of 3,682

Quote:
I understand this... I can feel the recessed mids... That why I am trying to use D10 to make it sound fuller...
What i am hearing is overwhelming(more than heavy) cymbals and bass which is start to mask the vocal as compared to the HO of S:FLO2.

hmmm.... Background noise...What i am hearing is more like less details and poorer separation of background...
Does the stock OAMP plays a part?

Once again... Thanks for everyone help... I am sorry that i am quite bad in describing audio characteristic...
I can understand that people said HO> LO to cheaper amp but D10 isn't entry level...
Plus D10 is a good match to my TF10 as a DAC/AMP
That why i am wondering why i cannot achieve the same level of SQ
since S:FLO2 boast dual wolfson wm8740...

Please wake me up if i am dreaming and expecting too much from all this portable gear...

Try setting EQ to user set as flat '0's and use the D10 for gain.  Also make sure you don't have any of that playFX or other stuff on.  Interesting these consistent reports of issues w/ the TF10.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #2,709 of 3,682

Quote:
I just want to quickly point out that if you do any hardware mods to  your S:Flo2 like this person here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/461156/s-flo2-impressions-thread/2250#post_6863163 you will invalidate your warranty, i don't think i actually need to point that out but the aforementioned DIYER seems to be having a hard time grasping this: http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20045
If you are going to MOD your S:Flo2 please understand that we can't help you if your unit stops working, regardless if the reason was due to the mod of not.

Also to inform, anyone that has their S:Flo2 in for RMA prior to Oct 1st will have their units shipped back to them this friday
smily_headphones1.gif

still no confirmation and its saturday night over there. i even posted on my ticket and no response.

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #2,710 of 3,682

Quote:
Try setting EQ to user set as flat '0's and use the D10 for gain.  Also make sure you don't have any of that playFX or other stuff on.  Interesting these consistent reports of issues w/ the TF10.

I am already on that... Very slight improvement but better(compared to stock firmware normal eq)... How about the gain switch? I know it is for cans that are harder to drive... But somewhat it improve abit more through high gain?

If i cannot find a solution, i might just go ampless and save some extra weight too...

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #2,711 of 3,682
My current two portable gears are Sanza Clip >Fiio E5 > REO and Cowan/TF10 (Fisher custom modded). Adding the Fiio E5 to the RE0 really improved the sound quality, especially the improved bass I now get from the RE0 which seemed weak without amping. Since adding the Fiio E5 to the RE0, I now seems to go for this combo more than the Cowon/TF10. Being very happy about the addition of amp to my gear I decided to get the Arrow 12HE and then I stumbled on this thread and now I want this player more than I want the arrow amp. So I call for help from much experienced head-fiers. Should I buy  the Arrow to use with my existing gear or should I get the S:flo2 ? My goal is to get the best possible sound quality with my two primary IEMs, the TF10 and RE0. Thanks for your input.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #2,712 of 3,682
I use re-shelled (custom) TF10's with the sflo and it sounds great: instrument separation, detail and punchy bass. One observation though is that the highs sound a bit recessed, but nothing the EQ can not fix.

Oct 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #2,713 of 3,682
The Arrow and the RE0 are a magic match. Just be prepared to wait for the Arrow.

Quote:
My current two portable gears are Sanza Clip >Fiio E5 > REO and Cowan/TF10 (Fisher custom modded). Adding the Fiio E5 to the RE0 really improved the sound quality, especially the improved bass I now get from the RE0 which seemed weak without amping. Since adding the Fiio E5 to the RE0, I now seems to go for this combo more than the Cowon/TF10. Being very happy about the addition of amp to my gear I decided to get the Arrow 12HE and then I stumbled on this thread and now I want this player more than I want the arrow amp. So I call for help from much experienced head-fiers. Should I buy  the Arrow to use with my existing gear or should I get the S:flo2 ? My goal is to get the best possible sound quality with my two primary IEMs, the TF10 and RE0. Thanks for your input.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #2,715 of 3,682

Quote:
I use re-shelled (custom) TF10's with the sflo and it sounds great: instrument separation, detail and punchy bass. One observation though is that the highs sound a bit recessed, but nothing the EQ can not fix.

Yeah, I noticed the recessed mids on the TF10 from the day I got it. It becomes even more noticeable when coming from the RE0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back