S:flo2 impressions thread
Sep 17, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #2,461 of 3,682

Quote:
Sphinxvc,

Unless you are deadset on getting the 16 gb model and you're prepared to wait thru numerous potential delays, then I would suggest you buy from House of Dap.  I bought the sflo2 (3rd batch) from Mp4 Nation and the Teclast T51 from HOD.  The wait time for the sflo2 was nearly unbearable, while HOD sent right out.  I think that the stock headphones that come with the Teclast T51 from HOD are better than the ones with the sflo2 as well.  As far as the "freebies" that come with the sflo2, well let's just say that I'm still waiting on my FM transmitter and free leather case that were (as far as I can tell) sent out 3-6 weeks ago....  So, if potentially long (and very frustrating) wait times are not a problem for you and you feel you must have the sflo2 16 gb, go with MP4 Nation, otherwise I would HIGHLY recommend HOD.  By the way, both models perform the same in terms of sound quality.  I do feel however that it was easier to upgrade from firmware 2.20 to 2.30 with the Teclast than it was with the sflo2, but I was eventually able to fully upgrade both.  Good luck with your decision, and believe me, you will love the sound quality of which ever one you purchase.  Oh, it is true that the Teclast 8 gb costs more than the sflo2 8 gb, esp with the preorder sale price..., so you should also consider this in your decision making.  Both MP4 Nation and HOD provide free standard shipping.

I guess its different for everyone mine took two weeks to arrive and that was everything I ordered including freebies, if its all in stock it should be sent out in the same shipment

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #2,463 of 3,682
After reading many pages my eyes start getting hurt.
Thank you for all the information and I am ready to pull trigger.
I have sony x1060 for a while and wanting something new.
Will I happy with this DPA?
I am more bass and fun sq type of guy and will use this DAP with either PFE with green filter or Hippo VB.
Please advise, thanks.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #2,464 of 3,682

Quote:
I am more bass and fun sq type of guy and will use this DAP with either PFE with green filter or Hippo VB.
Please advise, thanks.

The pfe's go very well with the s:flo2 as it's powerful output can drive the pfe's (which usually need more power to sound better) with ease.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #2,465 of 3,682

Quote:
Please advise, thanks.

Hi

I have been using the SFLO:2 with the hippo VB's for about 7 months and have really enjoyed it. They pair up very well, bass is awesome, details are great and I'm using the HO and have had no need for an amp.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #2,467 of 3,682
I've decided to use my sflo2 LO straight into my dba-02 with user eq adjusted to -1 for all frequency and they sound amazing!

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #2,468 of 3,682

Quote:
Anyone pair the sflo2 with earsonics SM3? 

Btw, is there any shop in hong kong selling the sflo 2? If yes, roughly how much would it be? 

cheers!

It's a good match, but to be honest, the SM3 is a very easy to drive earphone. It doesn't need to low Ω output of the S:Flo2 to sound good. The S:Flo's hiss, too, isn't that bad with the SM3. The only thing to watch out for is if you feel the SM3 has tame treble before the S:Flo, you may find it VERY tame when paired with the S:Flo whose high pass filter (which bugged me a long time ago) will amplify that lack. Overall, very good pairing though.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #2,472 of 3,682

Quote:
How about the cowon J3? did anyone compare the sflo2 with the cowon J3? 

The J3 is a fine player with much much better EQ than the S:Flo. But it really depends on what earphones you use. The S:Flo will trounce the Cowon for driving lowΩ earphones, especially multiple driver balanced armatures. There is like NO deviation from no load to driving monsters like the FitEAR Private 333. Nothing. The J3 will suffer troughs here and there that don't sound bad, necessarily, but sound 'off' from easier to drive headphones or from an amped signal. That said, the J3 doesn't roll with a low-pass filter. You get really clear highs from it with almost any earphone, but the S:Flo, while 'clear', is pretty rolled off. I noticed this from the very first time I heard it and while it isn't a killer point for many people, it IS noticeable. 

Depends on what you like, but in terms of integrity to the HPO signal, the S:Flo is better with almost any earphone. In terms of integrity to the original sound file, with easy to drive headphones and earphones, I'd give the nod to the J3 that avoids roll off in the high end.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #2,474 of 3,682
The LO is excellent, so if you want to use an amp, have no fear. Personally, I think that a performance oriented HPO like the S:Flo is a shame to have strapped to a low pass filter as it most assuredly doesn't need an amp unless you want ear-destroying volume, but since the LO has no such low pass filter, an amp is pretty much necessary if you want to enjoy the S:Flo and pretty much perfect reproduction of the audio signal. That said, your amp better be up to snuff. A poor amp will be a blemish to the S:Flo. You'll need to do at least as well as the T3D (at least) though that model doesn't delineate stereo as well as the S:Flo's LO does - in other words, your portable setup will have to be pretty damn big to really justify the amp. And ALO Rx is up to the task; of course, it's slim and light, but it's about the same size as the S:Flo, so you are getting really really big.

What earphones will you be using? If you get the S:Flo, listen to its HPO - if you aren't bothered by an audible but not overly aggressive dulling of the treble, then forget the amp - you don't need it. But if you are bothered by it, be prepared to dish out a bit more than what helps lesser players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back