S:flo2 impressions thread
Aug 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2,356 of 3,682

Quote:
I think someone somewhere said one of the main problems with this stuff is that the Rockchip used in the S:Flo2 has virtually no documentation or stuff available for it that would help. Obviously people have made front-end themes for the player but I haven't seen anyone go deeper than that. At a guess the Chinese Teclast forums might have a better answer, but the language is alien to me haha.

On mp4nation they said that the SFLO:2 specifically deviates from normal rockchip activity when it comes to id tag reading, as it almost seems like teclast changed the id reading behaviour on purpose for some stupid reason. And apparently rockchip guards there SDK with an iron fist so the general public will never be able to play around with it and fix the issues themself.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #2,358 of 3,682

Quote:
I finally receive my sflo2.  I loved the sound quality so far.  My main question is that is there a autmoatically resume function where it automatically plays the song when turned on? 

Not to my knowledge.

Aug 26, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #2,359 of 3,682
I agree with Swanlee.

The lack of the ability to read the ID tags and compile that information is frustrating.  I love the sound but functionality is a challenge.

This is one of those devices for which you must spend time trying to "fool" its systems.  I have not only had to employ careful control over directory structure but I have also had to control the order in which each directory is written to internal memory or the SD card.

It is important to remember, however, that for all the hassles, it is worth it.

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #2,360 of 3,682

Quote:
I agree with Swanlee.

The lack of the ability to read the ID tags and compile that information is frustrating.  I love the sound but functionality is a challenge.

This is one of those devices for which you must spend time trying to "fool" its systems.  I have not only had to employ careful control over directory structure but I have also had to control the order in which each directory is written to internal memory or the SD card.

It is important to remember, however, that for all the hassles, it is worth it.

That's one problem you CAN fix. Download a piece of freeware called DriveSort. Open it, and you're presented with an Explorer-type interface, open the S:Flo2 drive and you can go through your directories sort everything out alphabetically (don't forget to save each change!). This way you can just put the music on in any order, then it takes about a minute between opening DriveSort and fixing the lists to disconnecting the player and having everything be 'right' when you browse by directory.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #2,361 of 3,682
Quote:
Before gapless is added I would simply like proper ID tag reading so I do not have to use the browse by directory option. I want gapless to but with this player the gap is not that distracting and there are ALOT of players out that currently do not do gapless. The ID tag issue is a much bigger problem that almost all players get right the first time.

You might be right. Forgot to note that my Flo2 DAP does not often play in the order they appear in the orig. uploaded directory. (Does the "ID tag issue" cause this DAP to not play files in the intended sequence.) That is, on my PC (via Exact Audio Copy rip and FLACing), tracks (files) are named alpha-numerically:

01_trk1.flac
02_trk2.flac
10_trk10.flac
11_trk11.flac

The Teclast/MP4Nation DAPs Directory plays them, rather, in this absurd and unintended order:
01_trk1.flac
10_trk10.flac
11_trk11.flac
(What's a work-around, here?)
swanlee said: "The ID tag issue is a much bigger problem that almost all players get right the first time."
Well as Queen said a few decades ago: "I want it all, and I want it now!"
Somnambulist said "It is important to remember, however, that for all the hassles, it is worth it."
You're definitely speaking for YOURSELF, dude.**
I'm certain that if this DAP's parent company can't offer these features, and offer them soon (and, for that matter and for the company's own sake, offer us even more: see my earlier wish-list post), another Chinese company will. These are important, FUNDAMENTAL features; and the demand for them is NECESSARILY high.

This forum is a great tool to get our demands voiced, listed and acknowledged. Always be aware of that, folks.

BTW: I did a little economy-of-scale math a few days ago ... after a little number-crunching I found that a $200 DAP even better than HiFiman's top unit is entirely possible, and even profitable for the manuf. that puts it out. I'm working on a separate post/thread that will go more into this.

** Speaking for myself...With all the FREE design advice we PROVIDE companies via these forums, we deserve more ... a lot more. I means seriously, folks,: manuf's pay consultants top-dollar for advice not a fraction as useful as that elucidated by us poor forum-folk, suckers, pigeons. So what's more? For starters, they can start me off on a "free", lifetime subscription to their DAPs, shipped NEXT-DAY-Air, of course, to my home AND office addresses. I put "free" in "" because all the time and effort we put into detailing our posts is not really free -- it's on our tab (meanwhile, the manuf. gets the free design help, beta testing , etc. And we get poor-to-mediocre, compromised "stuff"). This is one reason I wish high-perf DAPs were easy to DIY ...  e.g., like headphone amps.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #2,362 of 3,682

Quote:
Quote:
You might be right. Forgot to note that my Flo2 DAP does not often play in the order they appear in the orig. uploaded directory. (Does the "ID tag issue" cause this DAP to not play files in the intended sequence.) That is, on my PC (via Exact Audio Copy rip and FLACing), tracks (files) are named alpha-numerically:

01_trk1.flac
02_trk2.flac
10_trk10.flac
11_trk11.flac

The Teclast/MP4Nation DAPs Directory plays them, rather, in this absurd and unintended order:
01_trk1.flac
10_trk10.flac
11_trk11.flac
(What's a work-around, here?)
swanlee said: "The ID tag issue is a much bigger problem that almost all players get right the first time."
Well as Queen said a few decades ago: "I want it all, and I want it now!"
Somnambulist said "It is important to remember, however, that for all the hassles, it is worth it."
You're definitely speaking for YOURSELF, dude.**
I'm certain that if this DAP's parent company can't offer these features, and offer them soon (and, for that matter and for the company's own sake, offer us even more: see my earlier wish-list post), another Chinese company will. These are important, FUNDAMENTAL features; and the demand for them is NECESSARILY high.

This forum is a great tool to get our demands voiced, listed and acknowledged. Always be aware of that, folks.

BTW: I did a little economy-of-scale math a few days ago ... after a little number-crunching I found that a $200 DAP even better than HiFiman's top unit is entirely possible, and even profitable for the manuf. that puts it out. I'm working on a separate post/thread that will go more into this.

** Speaking for myself...With all the FREE design advice we PROVIDE companies, we deserve more (I means seriously folks: manuf's pay consultants top-dollar for advice not a fraction as useful as that elucidated by us poor forum-folk. So what's more? They can start me on "free", lifetime subscription to their DAPs, shipped NEXT-DAY-Air to my home address. I put "free" in "" because all the time and effort we put into detailing our posts is not really free -- it's on our tab (meanwhile, the manuf. gets the free desgin help, beta testing , etc. ). This is one reason I wish one of these DAPs was as easy to DIY than other hifi gear.

Second that :p Lols!

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #2,363 of 3,682
The "for all the hassles it's worth it" comment was by qc98, not me. I was quoting his post so as to direct him to the fact that if you use DriveSort you can ensure all your files are listed in the correct order when browsing by directory, which although a workaround, at least means everything is listed as it should be. You still have to make sure your files are named appropriately though.

If you can make, or get someone to make your $200 DAP then I'll be the first to have a look, but I can only buy stuff that's available and in the budget I set myself. This player cost half as much as the one it replaced, sounds better, is acceptable to use... but it'll certainly be moved on once something better comes out (i.e. uses newer high capacity flash cards - SDXC? - has more than a 5 band EQ, more professional software, that kind of thing).

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #2,364 of 3,682
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Somnambulist 

The "for all the hassles it's worth it" comment was by qc98, not me.

Oh...sorry -- my bad!
I use BatchRename for re-naming. It's not free and may not be the same as DS, but it's super useful and quick.
Bottom line for  hifi-gear consumers/forumers: You/we spend much $$ on this stuff, and then provide all this FREE feedback (= do manuf's homework, and give them cheat-sheets for their final exams). So we must, henceforth, call and control all shots.

Some more free help: Forget the AD8620 (which is better than stock OPA2604). The cheaper and WAY-better AD825 (but eats a bit more pwr), using a bent Brown Dog, will ... well, I'll hold off on subjective adjectives as they are so overused. Let us know if you ever try this opamp.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #2,365 of 3,682
well mp4nation received my s:flo for repair.  so far their CS has been pretty good. the package took longer than expected. if i remember correctly, it was over 2 weeks shipped priority flat rate. 

i left my 16 gb Micro SD card in the unit, so  i guess we'll see how good their CS really  is.  that plus the turn around time. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #2,366 of 3,682

Quote:
Seriously you can  just drag and drop the music it really is not that big of a pain to just treat the sflo:2 as a usb drive

Treating the player as drag and drop USB device is easy; what's not easy is setting up playlists, sorting genres, albums, artists, cross mixing everything via the Finder or Explorer. You NEED a piece of software for that. Every one of my 'drag and drop don't need software players' goes through iTunes becuase with 180GB of music, it is silly to try to listen to what I want to listen to without a piece of software that sorts on-the-fly.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #2,368 of 3,682
Well im selling my s:flo2, (in fs section if anyone is interested) .

Really miss gapless, and l/r balance changing (bit deaf in 1 ear!) that my fuze has, plus touch screen on a bumpy train is a real pain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back