S:flo2 impressions thread
Aug 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #2,312 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi
Im upgrading for V2.3 too.

Its my first upgrade.

Does it work better made with a windows xp or a windows vista system?

Regards

Either really, just use the right usb driver first before anything else.  If you have UAC enabled on Vista I would go w/ XP depending on your level of proficiency.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #2,314 of 3,682

Quote:
Can somebody give a link to download the latest firmware for the sflo2 ?

Start about 20 pages back, its around there.  Read everything so you know what you are doing.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #2,318 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi
Im upgrading for V2.3 too.

Its my first upgrade.

Does it work better made with a windows xp or a windows vista system?

Regards

A lot of people report quick and easy installs with XP systems... you can do it with vista but from what I've read there is more room for error... either that or the people doing it that way messed up somehow. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #2,321 of 3,682
Noticed that the price of same-capacity (8, 16, 32) Flash cards VARY WIDELY from vendor to vendor, even for same brand/model. I've heard cheap and/or grey-market cards are around and unreilable.

So, folks, what BRAND is at the top of your list for reliability or otherwise good experience?
Is Amazon the best source for relable, non-grey-mkt flash cards? What are some others?

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #2,322 of 3,682
Quote:
So the AD8620 is relevant to the HO only correct? 

That depends on whether you use it to replace OPA2604 (the opamp just after the DAC for buffer) or TDA1308 (the opamp for headphone-out). If you search around, there are mix opinion regarding both OPA2604 and AD8620 as some prefer one while other prefer the other, which means many based their opinion not on performance but more on preference. TDA1308 should be worth replacing, but you won't want to have AD8620 for both buffer and headphone-out at the same time.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #2,323 of 3,682

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, good call on the 2GB ... I feel like a suckered chump.
Huh? The opamp performs I/V after the DACs, so it affects both LO and HO.

The DAC chip inside S:flo2 is WM8740 which is Vout type DAC. So, there is no such I/V conversion. The opamp is only used as the buffer (and possibly the differential to single ended conversion) on which the low pass filter is setup to cut the high frequency noise from the DAC output.

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #2,324 of 3,682
I thought the opamp was used as an active not passive component (ie buffer?)  after the dac on the line out ,ie hence the high output ,wouldnt a passive output only give about 0.8 to 1 volt ?
just tryng to understand

Aug 21, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #2,325 of 3,682
Quote:
The DAC chip inside S:flo2 is WM8740 which is Vout type DAC. So, there is no such I/V conversion. The opamp is only used as the buffer (and possibly the differential to single ended conversion) on which the low pass filter is setup to cut the high frequency noise from the DAC output.

You're right! My ignorant bad -- sorry folks, I didn't look at the datasheet! (note earlier post in which I wanted a buffer after the I/V; well, presto, I got my wish ... out of thin air. Thx, dw1narso)

Acutally, (& warning: lousy excuse on brain fart follows...!) I assumed that a top-of-the-line DAC (and it appears that WM8740 is one of the top Wollfson DACs) would naturally be a current-out deal. Most of its competition (BB/TI, AD, etc) in similar price category are current-out. The BB/TI 1792 or 1794, or AD1853, would be great -- possibly much-better-sounding -- alternatives (they're used in very highly rated gear) but would need another I/V opamp. All else held equal, I think it's best to leave I/V outside the DAC if possible. It's kinda like integrateds vs. separates. Kinda!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back