S:flo2 impressions thread
Aug 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #2,236 of 3,682
It is interesting to read that the S:Flo2 has a problem with harmonic distortion, which effectively affects the sound quality.

I never liked the sq of this player, and my opinion is contrary to the vast majority of those who love it.

My question is: How can you not have noticed this problem before? It does not affect the sound quality of the player? How was the sound of S:Flo2 after firmware update?

As soon as possible I will try this update ...

Cheers,

Peter

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #2,237 of 3,682
After loading up an old computer that I had lying around, I actually managed to apply the new firmware and I love it.  I think the sound has improved and I now look forward to comparing it to the HM602 when it arrives, then I can decide which to sell on.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #2,238 of 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardozo 
It is interesting to read that the S:Flo2 has a problem with harmonic distortion, which effectively affects the sound quality.

I never liked the sq of this player, and my opinion is contrary to the vast majority of those who love it.
Poor HD does not necessarily correlate with poor sonics. In fact, most tube and some solid-state "high-end" amps/preamps suck when it comes to HD metrics.

Another type of distortion, while not harmonic, is dither (which is a kind of ramdom noise deliberately added). Correctly employed, it's a good thing.
IMO, the selling of HD importance is a relic of 1970s solid-state marketing. It's not an unimportant parameter -- it's just that there are so many other important parameters -- like slew rate -- that must be accounted for as well.

What SPECIFICALLY didn't (don't) you like about this DAP's sound? What type of sound do you like (e.g., list off your favorite gear in use, or say 'vinyl over digital', etc.)

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #2,239 of 3,682

Quote:
After loading up an old computer that I had lying around, I actually managed to apply the new firmware and I love it.  I think the sound has improved and I now look forward to comparing it to the HM602 when it arrives, then I can decide which to sell on.

Have you / anyone compared flo2 or the HM60 to the QA-550--SD Card WAV Digital Audio Player [ http://qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa550.htm ] FWIW, diyparadise.com gave it pretty high marks:
http://diyparadise.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=27

Or how about against the main head-direct DAP, HIFIMAN?

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #2,240 of 3,682
Hi Headphone!

Lets go: My reference setup is a combination of a Cowon J3, iBasso P3+ and some in-ears (Shure SE530, Ety ER4S, Head-Direct RE1, Brainwavz M1, etc).

The sound of S:Flo2, to me, is muffled and grainy. Lack of clarity and spatiality from the J3, for example. In terms of definition (micro-details), lose even by my old Sansa Fuze. And the machine is too powerful for my more sensitive in-ears.

If I summarize what I think the sound of S:Flo2, I would say poor. Fat and poor.

Understand that I struggled hard to try to like this device, so that this is the second I have...

Obs: I prefer the sound of vinyl than CD... :xf_eek:)

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardozo 

Poor HD does not necessarily correlate with poor sonics. In fact, most tube and some solid-state "high-end" amps/preamps suck when it comes to HD metrics.

Another type of distortion, while not harmonic, is dither (which is a kind of ramdom noise deliberately added). Correctly employed, it's a good thing.
IMO, the selling of HD importance is a relic of 1970s solid-state marketing. It's not an unimportant parameter -- it's just that there are so many other important parameters -- like slew rate -- that must be accounted for as well.

What SPECIFICALLY didn't (don't) you like about this DAP's sound? What type of sound do you like (e.g., list off your favorite gear in use, or say 'vinyl over digital', etc.)

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #2,241 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi Headphone!

Lets go: My reference setup is a combination of a Cowon J3, iBasso P3+ and some in-ears (Shure SE530, Ety ER4S, Head-Direct RE1, Brainwavz M1, etc).

The sound of S:Flo2, to me, is muffled and grainy. Lack of clarity and spatiality from the J3, for example. In terms of definition (micro-details), lose even by my old Sansa Fuze. And the machine is too powerful for my more sensitive in-ears.

If I summarize what I think the sound of S:Flo2, I would say poor. Fat and poor.

Understand that I struggled hard to try to like this device, so that this is the second I have...

Cheers,

Peter

In this case, are you comparing Cowon J3 HO to S:Flo 2 HO, and, Cowon J3+P3+ to S:Flo 2 LO+P3+? Interesting.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #2,242 of 3,682
Dear violinvirtuoso,

yes, you are right.

Compare the headphone-out of these two devices is even unfair, because of the clarity and detail of J3. No question here.

Connecting the line-out of S:Flo2 to the iBasso, things are a little better, because of the more clarity of this output. But still, what I hear is a poor and fat sound, compared to the J3.

To me, the sound of S:Flo2 has no finesse or any other thing that they highlight of their peers. It is a common sound. Powerful, but ordinary. Sincerely, and with all due respect, I do not understand how many people here, with ears far more trained than mine, can like this type of sound...

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
In this case, are you comparing Cowon J3 HO to S:Flo 2 HO, and, Cowon J3+P3+ to S:Flo 2 LO+P3+? Interesting.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2,243 of 3,682

Quote:
Dear violinvirtuoso,

yes, you are right.

Compare the headphone-out of these two devices is even unfair, because of the clarity and detail of J3. No question here.

Connecting the line-out of S:Flo2 to the iBasso, things are a little better, because of the more clarity of this output. But still, what I hear is a poor and fat sound, compared to the J3.

To me, the sound of S:Flo2 has no finesse or any other thing that they highlight of their peers. It is a common sound. Powerful, but ordinary. Sincerely, and with all due respect, I do not understand how many people here, with ears far more trained than mine, can like this type of sound...

Cheers,

Peter

And I, with equal respect, fail to understand how anyone could prefer the J3 to the SFlo2. I don't even think the J3 is the best sounding Cowon player.

Still, it would be a terribly boring website if we all agreed all the time...

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #2,244 of 3,682

Quote:

My question is: How can you not have noticed this problem before? It does not affect the sound quality of the player? How was the sound of S:Flo2 after firmware update?

As soon as possible I will try this update ...

Cheers,

Peter

I wasn't as pleased w/ the HO as I was the LO.  Still better than everything else I had though.  The distortion problem was random and not consistent only occuring at high gains and sporadically.  Like I said I used my LO w/ EQ set to user adjusted flat which cut the gain almost in half.  Never had distortion after that.  Does that answer your questions?  Try not to assume that everyone using the same piece of gear has the same settings and gear synergy.  This happens a lot around these parts.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #2,246 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi Headphone!

Cheers,

Peter

This player is not remotely close to grainy.  There is something wrong w/ your Sflo2 or something else.  I hate grainy sound and the Sflo2 is smooth as butter.  Tons of detail.  I can see the 530 not doing well though since it was designed for cheap crappy DAPs.  By fat sound are you referring to body?  I notice players like the Sansa's sound thin and less sonorous.  The Sflo2 has great body and sonority in comparison.  Sounds like you might prefer a flat thin BA type of sound lacking depth.  Still the grain is an odd problem.   

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #2,247 of 3,682
You can not be more certain, because, rather than the differences in hardware/software, we have different brains and set hearing!

I agree that this is the big problem here: To compare different things, even when they are equal. Moreover, it is very difficult to mount a standard environment for testing, since the tastes are different too!

What matters the phone is flat and more natural, after all, it's boring to me? What is the purpose to buy a J3 and not touch the EQ/filters? The unit is different from another, only if we change the settings. And so it is with the S:Flo2, where a simple firmware can change how the player performs a song.

In my point of view, there isnt much that can be done to solve this problem ...

Long live to Head-fi!!!!

Peace to everyone,

Peter

Quote:
Does that answer your questions?  Try not to assume that everyone using the same piece of gear has the same settings and gear synergy.  This happens a lot around these parts.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #2,248 of 3,682
Hi Anaxilus!

This my second unit I have. The first came from second batch and second, the third. :xf_eek:)

You're not totally wrong. In terms of balanced armature earphones, yes, I prefer a more slender, more delicate, with tons of details and a proper soundstage.
When it comes to dynamic headphones, sound like a fun, wide space and with many details. Organic sound I guess.

I do not know if I'm expressing myself and getting up because of my poor english. But the S:Flo2 dont work even with my dynamic headphones. It is as if the player's signature sound was always very present, competing with the music, which the J3, with its huge clarity, does not.

In the end, the S:Flo2 was not done for me. And even though I have dissonant voice in this topic, I think it is important to participate to act as the "devil's advocate", because people need to opinions contrary to counterbalance the positive.

I would have saved a lot of money on equipment, if I had read most contrary opinions here ... :xf_eek:(

Peace,

Peter

Quote:
This player is not remotely close to grainy.  There is something wrong w/ your Sflo2 or something else.  I hate grainy sound and the Sflo2 is smooth as butter.  Tons of detail.  I can see the 530 not doing well though since it was designed for cheap crappy DAPs.  By fat sound are you referring to body?  I notice players like the Sansa's sound thin and less sonorous.  The Sflo2 has great body and sonority in comparison.  Sounds like you might prefer a flat thin BA type of sound lacking depth.  Still the grain is an odd problem.   

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #2,249 of 3,682

Quote:
Hi Headphone!

Cheers,

Peter

Have you already upgraded the S:flo2 firmware to V2.3?

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #2,250 of 3,682
I google'd it but I was not able to find any answers, so here is my question:

Have anyone compared S:flo2 to iMod/diyMod or similar? Which is better about sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back