S:flo2 impressions thread
Jul 27, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #2,026 of 3,682

Quote:
Are your setting optimized?  low screen brightness, screen off after 3 secs, etc.  I use the LO and turn down the volume all the way on HO.  Not sure if that matters the way I've had it explained to me.  Its seems I get more battery life when volume is lower or off, maybe psychological.

Nope I can get around 8 hours easily and I have the same settings as you stated. Remember if you're playing music you can use both the LO and the HO at the same time so turning that volume down will increase the life of the player. 

But yea all FLAC files here too. Great player if you are always around an outlet. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #2,027 of 3,682

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder how much battery you get w/ Wav then compared to Flac.

Less because WAV is uncompressed.

Quote:

So if you buy now, probably get by Thanksgiving :wink:

Randy

:wink: Yea if you get lucky and land on the first shipment :wink:
Of course if you don't need 16gb you can get the T51 which ships from houseofdap I think (I think that's where I got mine, can't remember). 

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #2,028 of 3,682

Quote:
Less because WAV is uncompressed.

Why would an uncompressed file use more battery than a compressed one?  It doesn't have to get decoded.  All compressed files have an extra stage to deal with right?

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #2,029 of 3,682

Quote:
Why would an uncompressed file use more battery than a compressed one?  It doesn't have to get decoded.  All compressed files have an extra stage to deal with right?

Logically the extra processing to decompress the FLAC would drain the battery faster.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #2,030 of 3,682
Hi posters. Even though this is my first message I have been following this product for a long time. In fact I have been waiting, indeed hoping, for it to evolve into the machine I want it to be so I can buy it.

With a product so close to (yet so far from) perfection why cant the company just make a few small tweaks then stand back while 100,000 units race out of the door. It's so god damn frustrating.

I cannot buy a player with this battery life limitation. MP4N, please listen to your audience and shove a better cell in it, and make it user replaceable. Also please tidy up the interface, you must know that's an issue by now. But most importantly PLEASE sharpen up your customer service. Don't treat all these loyal people like mugs, they don't deserve it. Show some bloody respect.

I hope I've made my feelings clear. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #2,031 of 3,682
Quote:
Hi posters. Even though this is my first message I have been following this product for a long time. In fact I have been waiting, indeed hoping, for it to evolve into the machine I want it to be so I can buy it.

With a product so close to (yet so far from) perfection why cant the company just make a few small tweaks then stand back while 100,000 units race out of the door. It's so god damn frustrating.

I cannot buy a player with this battery life limitation. MP4N, please listen to your audience and shove a better cell in it, and make it user replaceable. Also please tidy up the interface, you must know that's an issue by now. But most importantly PLEASE sharpen up your customer service. Don't treat all these loyal people like mugs, they don't deserve it. Show some bloody respect.

The battery life isn't that great, agreed. However, because it uses a standard mini-USB, there are many portable battery packs that you can use to extend that battery life.

The User Interface isn't that bad now. If you sort your music by folders, it is really pretty good. There aren't really many crashes or freezes these days. I see your point, the screen could be more accurate. But they are still working on updating FW.

I agree with the customer service bit. Even if it is going to take a while for their product to reach me, it would help a lot if they gave out updates and such. But, they have done some updates (when they started shipping the 3rd batch) so it seems like they are trying.

If you really want to get your point across, why don't you e-mail Raz yourself?

PS: Please don't swear.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #2,032 of 3,682
I think you are being harsh and slightly mis informed about the situation and product

Telecast are the the biggest problem that and party the chinese market, MP4 nation just rebrand but do offer the 16GB. The firmware is locked down and MP4 are not able to directly modify it due to IP rights and will not be open due to the rife hardware piracy in china. Raz and the mp4 nation team did not treat anyone like mugs and have been helpfull and curtious to me and the other customers. Batch 3 was a long road and occassionally mp4 nation commication was not its best to a few individuals but on the whole I was satisfied.

From what I gather the battery is not that under powered its just running a lot of hardware. Unless the unit size was increased theres not much else involved.

Dont get me wrong the batterlife is not good enough, the intefrace is annoying and has many things missing you would like as standard. For me its a love hate relationship ... I love the SQ but hate the rest. A cowan J3 or new ipod looks quite tempting.

Quote:

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #2,033 of 3,682
To be fair I knew about all the downsides to this player before I bought it, and I'm actually pleased it's not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. I haven't suffered one crash, freeze, or loss of data yet, and my battery life must be close to the 8hrs advertised. I'm not saying certain aspects couldn't me massively improved upon, but it's ok. And sounds fantastic.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #2,034 of 3,682

Quote:
To be fair I knew about all the downsides to this player before I bought it, and I'm actually pleased it's not as bad as it's sometimes made out to be. I haven't suffered one crash, freeze, or loss of data yet, and my battery life must be close to the 8hrs advertised. I'm not saying certain aspects couldn't me massively improved upon, but it's ok. And sounds fantastic.

This echos my experience as well.  The battery in this thing is huge but so is the power consumption.  The only thing that could be done is to power down one output when the other is used.  Power directly relates to sound quality so I would never want to increase battery life at the expense of SQ.  

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #2,035 of 3,682
I also get around 4-6 hours of playing time, brightness is set to the lowest level, screen gets off after 6 seconds. I use my s:flo with a 32 gb Sandisk micro SD card and I got the feeling that without the card the battery life is better. Maybe that's an explanation?!

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #2,036 of 3,682
Holy crap batman.  32gb sdcard?  You could buy another Sflo2 right?  
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #2,037 of 3,682
I have mine set on Random play but it doesn't seem to be playing the songs in the folders only the songs in the root of the memory. I can see the songs in the folders when I look at the listing of the songs but I have never heard any of them.Very wierd. I will have to put every thing in the root if I want to hear them all.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #2,039 of 3,682

So everyone's ok with this product and MP4 Nation's top tier customer service eh? I didn't think so.

I am a business person. I've been in this game for a long time and have plenty of life experience to know what I'm talking about. You can run a business with a crappy product and outstanding customer service, and you can run a company with an outstanding product and crappy customer service. Both companies will appear to function but will never realize their true potential and may eventually fail

Looking at MP4N. Right here is a company with a revolutionary product. A portable music player with unsurpassed sound delivery. I'm not sure exactly who puts the guts in the thing, if it's MP4N or Teclast or another party but someone close by does it. Someone else designs the thing and perhaps someone else or a board approves that design. However it's done one thing is clear: the end result is a product on the brink of portable audio nirvana. So close it has to be worth finishing the job. Apple did and the ipod was born.

There is no product like the sflo2 currently on the market. There are plenty of others with broad feature sets which combined come very close in an overall points test. However for me the real value is in Sflo2's potential. A rough diamond isn't worth a lot, in relative terms, when compared to its cut and polished brother. However this little gem is half cut and is looking very,very promising.

MP4N, it's time for a reality check. You are currently in a superb position to bring to the people a product of historical significance. All that is required is for you to iron out the firmware issues, give us a little extra battery life, and change your attitude towards the sea of customers gathered around you. Add a little to the cost if that's what is takes (though don't take the piss). Just know this, if you don't complete the job another company will. They will be courteous, upfront and honest with their customers and will appreciate that collectively these people are what make a business a business.

At that point your opportunity will be lost...

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #2,040 of 3,682

Quote:
Got a question:

Can the t51 still operate (play music) while it is charging? 

God forbid if its battery is dead, i hope i can still listen music through it.......lol

I play mine hooked to an external power pack at all times.  Its about the same size as the Sflo2.  The charge on the Sflo2 itself almost never gets touched.  You cannot use the player hooked up to a PC though.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back