S:flo2 impressions thread
Jun 27, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #1,772 of 3,682
I've been Messing around with the sflo alot to get the right sound with my sennheiser HD438's now I finally found a eq setting that I like it's
all 10's lol I know it should be alil diff but it works with everything equally i listen to all sorts of music classical rock metal hip hop etc. but this sounds good with these high dependence cans. The 438's are starting to show some good sound now the tredble with some songs are lil to high but with this eq it keeps it mellow the 438's have barely any noticable bass but the clarity is nice.

The sflo 2 is badass as long as you tune it right my new score is 7.5 just cause everything else is a slight pain but it's managable.
beyersmile.png

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #1,773 of 3,682

Quote:
My initial impression after an hour or so is very impressive and I'm getting some superb results with my SM3's, from all types of music.

There's also no hiss, that my X1060 produces, which is a welcome change.  Pity that the album art and flac files don't work, but a small price to pay for the excellent sound quality.

Time to sell my ALO Rx I think, as this and the Sony don't seem to benefit at all from an amp.

I assume that you're amping your X1060 direct from the HO if that's your experience? The HO is a bit hissy, though I still found it to be less so than other players I've owned. Try using a line-out device which connects to the WM port, they're only £10 on ebay and make a world of difference. There is definitely a significant improvement through the LO on the X1000s and you probably won't go back to the HO (assuming you keep the player).

I can't compare it to the S:flo2 LO though.

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #1,774 of 3,682
Earlier in my initial impressions, I posted that the S:Flo2 might be lacking in micro detail. However, I'm starting to realize that the detail is still there, it just doesn't stand out as much as before and I think its due to the S:Flo2's warmer sound sig. It really is an amazing dap SQ wise. 

BTW, what media player is everyone using to sync with their S:Flo2? I'm using media monkey right now, but I'm running into some problems with tagging. Any better alternatives?

Jun 28, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #1,775 of 3,682

Quote:
ok then to rephrase ,with the set up i have the bass roll off is very very apparent ,anybody else got the ultrasone demo track 7 give it a try(with good cans/iems), anyway as i said maybe more a power issue , and i suppose with the post i did it sounded like im knocking the sflo2 but i love the thing , glad to hear you guys are not having the same issue ,but with me its black and white , lo destroys ho WITH my set up ,treble wise i have no issues with either line out or ho the top end sounds prisine through both .

I haven't tried the demo CD, but didn't notice any bass roll off with my HFI 780s out of the HO. Haven't really given the HO much time though as I'm really enjoying the LO to my Alo RX.

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #1,776 of 3,682
Sadly I have this on several MP3 albums regardless of access method. I will either replace them with FLAC or try a re-encode, im sure there is a reason.

Quote:
I have had screeching between tracks, they were MP3's and only on one album, however if I choose the same songs from somewhere else, (ex. from Albums instead of Artists), the screeching's non-existent.

Jun 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #1,778 of 3,682

Quote:
I noticed the screeching happened if I skipped the song whilst it was playing or starting to play, if I stopped the song or paused it and then went to the next song the screech didn't happen.

My current theory is that if the mp3 it has a encoded silence or gap and that is being filled with noise. I have some with a small blip n pop and some up to 1-2 seconds of screech. Its my biggest annoyance with the flow at the moment.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,779 of 3,682

Quote:
My current theory is that if the mp3 it has a encoded silence or gap and that is being filled with noise. I have some with a small blip n pop and some up to 1-2 seconds of screech. Its my biggest annoyance with the flow at the moment.

Wow and I thought it was just me with that problem; but I only had that with a couple of mp3s a while back; I deleted the songs and since I'm only using FLAC files right now that problem doesn't come up anymore. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #1,780 of 3,682
I'm running :

SFLO2 lo to Graham Slee Voyager to UETF10's

All my music is FLAC and mostly trance. 

What I'm finding is what a major influence the EQ settings affect my enjoyment, this is complicated further by the fact that the Voyager has a boost switch from Flat to Contour. Which works well on some songs but is influenced by the EQ settings on the SFLO2.

Its not really a complaint...Its nice to have options....but I find that a combination of the above can either give me mind blowing quality or in other cases distortion and clipping can occur.

Interested to know if people spend time setting up specific settings for individual songs?

Cheers,

Mark.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #1,781 of 3,682

Quote:

I assume that you're amping your X1060 direct from the HO if that's your experience? The HO is a bit hissy, though I still found it to be less so than other players I've owned. Try using a line-out device which connects to the WM port, they're only £10 on ebay and make a world of difference. There is definitely a significant improvement through the LO on the X1000s and you probably won't go back to the HO (assuming you keep the player).

I can't compare it to the S:flo2 LO though.

The HO on the X1060 is a bit hissy, although that's only during the gaps between songs and the LO did eliminate that, I've sold the Rx now, so it doesn't really matter.

The lesson that I should have learned is that the SM3's don't really benefit from an amp, as they're very, very easy to drive.

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #1,782 of 3,682

Quote:

The lesson that I should have learned is that the SM3's don't really benefit from an amp, as they're very, very easy to drive.

I would be amused if these $400 IEM's are the best synergy for the $30-$60 Sansas.  So far all my cheapie IEM's still benefit from amplification.  Anyway, the Sflo2...  

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #1,783 of 3,682
Thank you for this information, anyway, you said that the Fanmusic MKII gives more clarity/dynamics to the SQ than Aarrow, well it seems that anyway u like your Arrow more .... I am considering the neco soundlab or MKII as a portable amp... as it seems to be quite noticable upgrade from the HO

Quote:
One thing I just confirmed this morning with the S:flo2: It sounds better when an external battery pack is used as the power source... when the internal battery is fully charged at the same time.

1. S:flo2 being charged/powered by wall charger -> no difference in sound quality
2. S:flo2 being charged/powered by USB cable from computer -> no difference in sound quality
3. S:flo2 begin charged by external battery pack -> no difference in sound quality
4. S:flo2 intenal battery fully charged, external battery connected and player draws power only from battery pack -> more "airness", more micro details, more clear in sound.

All the above tested through my Arrow to RE0.

It could be the additional voltage regulation in the external battery pack gives a cleaner / more stable power. The S:flo2 also runs cooler from external battery pack (when the internal battery is already fully charged)

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #1,784 of 3,682

Quote:
I'm running :

SFLO2 lo to Graham Slee Voyager to UETF10's

All my music is FLAC and mostly trance. 

What I'm finding is what a major influence the EQ settings affect my enjoyment, this is complicated further by the fact that the Voyager has a boost switch from Flat to Contour. Which works well on some songs but is influenced by the EQ settings on the SFLO2.

Its not really a complaint...Its nice to have options....but I find that a combination of the above can either give me mind blowing quality or in other cases distortion and clipping can occur.

Interested to know if people spend time setting up specific settings for individual songs?

Cheers,

Mark.

Nice, I listen to Trance mostly in Flac as well. I'm running Sflo2-> iBasso P3+ -> Beyer DT990 600ohm and it's mind blowing for Trance :p  I don't use EQ as this will lower SQ slightly no matter what. Can I ask where you get your Trance Flac from as I find mostly mp3 on the net and really need to look hard to get Flac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back