S:flo2 impressions thread
Jun 30, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #1,801 of 3,682
I played around with the Fiio e5 on the SFLO:2 LO and it sounded horrible, the Fiio could not deal with the loudness of the LO and distorted alot. Even though my XM5 portable amps does not distort with the LO of the SFLO:2 again the loudness of the LO only gives me two volume options with the XM5, off and too loud.

So not only are cheap portable amp out of the question for the SFLO:2 you also need one that has multiple gain settings. So high quality portable amp with multiple gain settings.

From my months of having the SFLO:2 I have given up trying to pair it with an amp and am just really enjoying the headphone output.I also enjoy not having to lug around a portable amp anymore.

While the LO is a little cleaner and brighter I find the headphone out has a more natural warm analog sound that I prefer. Maybe I just prefer the roll off or maybe my hippo VB's have good synergy with the headphone out.

I'm probably one of the few people that prefers the HO to the LO but to me the LO is to loud to be paired with many portable amps and it is to bright and cold sounding for my taste.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,802 of 3,682
Has any one tried one of the 32GB Micro SD SDHC cards off ebay.  Did it work.  Some of the cards in Canada (non micro) that are 32GB cost $300.  On ebay these micro ones go for $40.

http://shop.ebay.ca/lbquyuanwai/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #1,803 of 3,682

Quote:
Has any one tried one of the 32GB Micro SD SDHC cards off ebay.  Did it work.  Some of the cards in Canada (non micro) that are 32GB cost $300.  On ebay these micro ones go for $40.

http://shop.ebay.ca/lbquyuanwai/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Wonder if these are fakes or something.

I'm willing to give them a try since the price is not to bad.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,804 of 3,682

Quote:
I played around with the Fiio e5 on the SFLO:2 LO and it sounded horrible, the Fiio could not deal with the loudness of the LO and distorted alot. Even though my XM5 portable amps does not distort with the LO of the SFLO:2 again the loudness of the LO only gives me two volume options with the XM5, off and too loud.

Maybe I have a different e5 than you.  I started with the volume on the e5 all the way down, and of course no sound came through once the 2 was playing via LO.  Two or three taps of "UP" volume and my Sflo2 was singing beautifully at the perfect volume for my Senn HD595s and my ears.  You might want to go back and try it again.  Volume all the way down before connecting though!

4D

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #1,805 of 3,682

Quote:

So not only are cheap portable amp out of the question for the SFLO:2 you also need one that has multiple gain settings. So high quality portable amp with multiple gain settings.

From my months of having the SFLO:2 I have given up trying to pair it with an amp and am just really enjoying the headphone output.I also enjoy not having to lug around a portable amp anymore.

While the LO is a little cleaner and brighter I find the headphone out has a more natural warm analog sound that I prefer. Maybe I just prefer the roll off or maybe my hippo VB's have good synergy with the headphone out.

I'm probably one of the few people that prefers the HO to the LO but to me the LO is to loud to be paired with many portable amps and it is to bright and cold sounding for my taste.

I'm actually counting on the LO being a tad brighter as most of my preferred phones are on the warm side.  Hoping to get that Goldilocks synergy.  /fingerscrossed

Anyone see any measurements on noise and distortion of the LO vs HPO?

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #1,806 of 3,682
I think he HO sounds really good. And I don't notice any distortion at all using the cheap little E5 amp via LO. Very clean and tight and near identical to the HO with the slight differences I mentioned. Def no bloat or distortion, though. Different ears, I guess.

In the end, I might simply stick with the S:flo alone as it's quite convenient to carry just it around in that little velour case (which I think does an outstanding job of protecting the player. I think I'm gonna order an extra one, actually.

Quote:

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,807 of 3,682

Quote:

Maybe I have a different e5 than you.  I started with the volume on the e5 all the way down, and of course no sound came through once the 2 was playing via LO.  Two or three taps of "UP" volume and my Sflo2 was singing beautifully at the perfect volume for my Senn HD595s and my ears.  You might want to go back and try it again.  Volume all the way down before connecting though!

4D

Yea I did that and made sure the bass boost was off an the E5 and set the EQ on the SFLO:2 manually to flat as the EQ effects the LO. The E5 could not output a very loud signal without distortion, and in the end the headphone output sounded better and had more power with zero distortion.

The XM5 like I mentioned did not distort with the LO but the LO was so loud I had no headroom with the XM5 it was either off or to loud.

I just had to conclude that I actually really like the sound signature of the headphone out, treble roll off and all, and was happy not to have to carry around a portable amp to get pleasing powerful sound.

I can see that the headhpone out does not measure as nicely on graphs and charts as the LO but for my preferences on sound signature the headphone out is just the way I like it, warm natural analog sound signature but still retaining a ton of details and great stereo seperation

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,808 of 3,682

Quote:
Wonder if these are fakes or something.

I'm willing to give them a try since the price is not to bad.

I ordered one on ebay and will report back once I get it if it's an actual 32GB microsd card and if it works with the SFLO:2.

Personally I rather doubt it but for the price it is worth the risk.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #1,809 of 3,682
are those the ones from china ? I was tempted by those before but chances are that they are fake

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #1,811 of 3,682
I have a fiio e5 and was gonna try the LO with em just to see what it does I'll report back with my findings tomorrow lol I got the sflo2 to work with my HD 438's now I got it on eq of 10's all across except for the hight treble is at 9 for low distortion. lol I tried to turn on my player and it would turn on I just listened to it for like 20 mins getting to work and then i plugged a motorola usb charger into it and it started up could it be that it died lol If so It lasted like 4 hours with the micro sd card and the shuffle on. Pretty low batt life if it dies now but I can charge it anywhere anyways

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #1,812 of 3,682
But then how long will they last before any data corruption happens? That will be the question at hand. Anyway, I am interested in it too...I just got the 16Gb microsd, so no rush to get more right now. Depending whether your 32 Gb card turn out to be real or not, I might get some.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #1,814 of 3,682
I'd probably just get the 16gb I saw on ebay yesterday when I was thinking if I should get a microsdhc or not. It comes from within the USA and doesn't look like it is fake. It was like $30 or something for 16gb.

Just a question for the player however if I ever end up getting this which won't be anything soon although it would be pretty annoying using another machine just to put files in as I only have linux. Is it worth it to get this if I just used the headphone out since I don't own a portable amp. I do have decent iem's however :)

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #1,815 of 3,682
Rawrster.  I can tell you the power of the HO is enough to drive all my IEMs and my M50's.  My Clip+ needs an amp to do the same.  I only want an amp for my Sflo2 for the LO signature having more treble energy to synergize w/ my warm phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back