S:flo2 impressions thread
Jun 15, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #1,561 of 3,682

Quote:
Gknix they are right next to the white imp3 clip. I have to say I really am enjoying how this thing sounds. The HO sounds really good and even drives my HD600 fairly easily. I love how my SFlo2, P-51,HD600 combo is sounding.

Maybe the HO sounds only with some in-ears too muddy and not with headphones. With my JH 13 there is definitely a treble roll off and too much pulpy bass.

Jun 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #1,562 of 3,682

Quote:

Yes it's powerful but that's basically it to me... i don't need to blow my eardrums as i already have efficient portable headphones. Do you need that much power with your Hippo IEM? On a sidenote i didn't find the s:flo 2 drove the HD650 any better than the Clip so i doubt the s:flo is powerful enough to be paired with high impedance headphones.

Do I need that much power? probably not, but it's nice to have that power as I adjust the EQ quite a bit and the EQ can be adjusted to my heart's contend without even the slightest bit of clipping or distortion because of that power.

The sound from the HO of the SFLO:2 is better quality and just as powerful as my Zune was when paired with my 300$ XM5. And I just find the balance, stereo separation, details and warmth much better. I like getting a portable amp like sound straight from a player.

I also had a V2 fuse and I simply did not like the sound on it, flat boring, weak and it was not for me even compared to my old zune30 without an amp also the EQ was almost unuesable as it caused distortion.

I personally do not understand why people are so high on the sansa players and why they can't seem to tell a difference between it and the SFLO:2. some particular differences are better bass, wider stereo separation and a much thicker over all sound then my fuse had.

The SFLO:2 has 80MW of power for the HO so it is much more powerful than any of the sansa players.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #1,563 of 3,682

Quote:
. some particular differences are better bass, wider stereo separation and a much thicker over all sound then my fuse had.

I would have to agree almost exactly; especially on the stereo separation part; the sound stage and imaging on the s:flo 2 completely blows away my Clip ...

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #1,565 of 3,682
I odered my s:flo2 on March 8th, it was "shipped" on the 2nd of June, and actually shipped on June 14th. I just checked my tracking number with Canadapost, and it hit Missasaga at 8:30pm. I should get it tomorrow if it clears customs alright. So exciting. I hope it lives up to what I've built it up to be in my mind over this long wait.
Any north americans with the same crap dates, check you status!

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #1,568 of 3,682

Quote:
I received my s:flo yesterday. I use it with my Headstage Arrow 12 HE and it sounds amazing, the best portable setup I've listened to so far (clip, clip+, Zen Vision M). The bass is very clear and deep, the overall sound is very airy and detailed in every frequency level.
I'm a bit disappointed of the performance of the s:flo alone without the Arrow amp, the sound is then too bassy and treble seems to be cut of, more a mudy sound. All tested with JH 13 Pro in ears. Without an amp I would prefer the sound of the clip but with an amp this thing is just awesome.
I just got one problem: I loaded 15 gb to the s:flo and then it always crashs when I update media files. I hope I can solve this problem, with 8,5 gb files the s:flo doesn't crash. Today evening I try to reload the firmware and hope that the problem is gone then.

You have the same S:flo2 / Arrow setup as mine and I agree to you completely: The headphone out of the S:flo2 is quite ordinary, and the S:flo2  LO + Arrow is indeed the ultimate portable setup. Beside the sound quality, the Arrow just hides itself under the S:flo2, making the combo pocketable.

For people who cannot wait/afford the Arrow, I recommend the Fanmusic MK2 amp to pair with the S:flo2. I actually found the S:flo2+ Fanmusic combo gives a tiny more clarity/dynamic sound on my RE0 compare with the S:flo2/Arrow. But the Arrow does have the advantage of size and features.

For your crashing issue, I would suggest you check id ID tag info of your music files and see if there is any weird info there. The S:flo2 is very sensitive to duplicated "TrackArtist" and "AlbumArtist" info tag in the music files and it may very well be the cause of the crash. For example, I have some songs with the "AlbumArtist" tag filled and the S:flo2 just gets confused and use it as the "Album" name instead for that song. Along the way I experience some random restarts. Since then I deleted the AlbumArtist tag completely using Foobar, and I experieced no crash.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #1,570 of 3,682
Seriously guys, I am not trying to compare misery, but I ordered the S:Flo2 from Dec. got it on the Dec.23rd in NYC. It was a messded up player, so I had to send it back in mid Jan. By then I had a taste of the LO for a few hours so I am really eager to get a working player.

They sent me another player a month later, and I messed up the driver as this is the first time I have to deal with a compicated player with driver upload, and using this Chinese porgram which my computer does not read for update. Anyways,.. I messed that up, and sent it back on March.

Then,.. they don't have any replacement on stock, and I guess they were nice enough to send me a brand new player on the second batch, but the problem is, they sent mine in my NYC home, and I am physcially in Asia. So basically, I waited for another week or so until late April when I finally have a working player with some music on it.

Toatal wait was four moths for me. In the mean-time I had to deal with the tease of how good the LO sounds.

As I mentioned earlier that MP4Nation has this arrogance about them during our communication, but, at the very least, they did try to make things right.

I know how much it sucks waiting for a nice piece of audio equipment to come, but it's really worth the wait.

Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement.... listen and play with the player. IF you have to wait,... too bad. Remember though, you aren't the only one..

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #1,571 of 3,682

Quote:
The item (xxx) left Hong Kong for its destination on 15-Jun-2010

Ok guys.. It's time to give me some suggestions which quality and cheap portable amp to choose. Caffeine Ultra vs Fanmusic MKII ?
Thx :p

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #1,572 of 3,682
I also find the s:flo2 driving very well with HD600 (new ver + Cardas),  HD600 (old ver + stock cable ) and PX200II very well....

with PX200II and HD600 (old version) having similar tonality - well balanced and musical
with HD600 (new ver + Cardas ) tighter and a bit cleaner in the whole range. 

I mainly listen to wav file and avoid other formats as much as possible.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #1,573 of 3,682

Quote:

Ok guys.. It's time to give me some suggestions which quality and cheap portable amp to choose. Caffeine Ultra vs Fanmusic MKII ?
Thx :p

I vote for Fanmusic MK2. I found my Fanmusic sounds comparable to my newly acquired Arrow 12HE through my RE0 with gain setting at "1" .

OPA2608 + LM4562 is a good opamp combo

Jun 16, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #1,574 of 3,682

Quote:
Seriously guys, I am not trying to compare misery, but I ordered the S:Flo2 from Dec. got it on the Dec.23rd in NYC. It was a messded up player, so I had to send it back in mid Jan. By then I had a taste of the LO for a few hours so I am really eager to get a working player.

They sent me another player a month later, and I messed up the driver as this is the first time I have to deal with a compicated player with driver upload, and using this Chinese porgram which my computer does not read for update. Anyways,.. I messed that up, and sent it back on March.

Then,.. they don't have any replacement on stock, and I guess they were nice enough to send me a brand new player on the second batch, but the problem is, they sent mine in my NYC home, and I am physcially in Asia. So basically, I waited for another week or so until late April when I finally have a working player with some music on it.

Toatal wait was four moths for me. In the mean-time I had to deal with the tease of how good the LO sounds.

As I mentioned earlier that MP4Nation has this arrogance about them during our communication, but, at the very least, they did try to make things right.

I know how much it sucks waiting for a nice piece of audio equipment to come, but it's really worth the wait.

Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement.... listen and play with the player. IF you have to wait,... too bad. Remember though, you aren't the only one..

Let me be one of the few to say that MP4 was professional and efficient in addressing my issue.  They read my issue on this thread, asked me to open a ticket to research it.  Within a week they discovered the issue and remailed a new package w/ free EMS keeping ini touch along the way.  I know many people have posted about arrogance in their experience, this has not been the case for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back