S:flo2 impressions thread
Apr 16, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #872 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by sallan75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Questionable build quality? You have obviously never held one. Teclast actually make some nice players. Buggy firmware = you fail again. FW 2.0 is solid and it has never frozen on me and works as expected. The battery life is plenty, I use it a couple of hours a day, and you can recharge it you know. The only problem with the S:Flo2 is the ID tags, but it is a small price to pay for the sound quality.

There are plenty of players for people who make ignorant comments, go get one of those fruit themed toys.

The build quality to me is a mixed bag. The player is certainly solid, but however, the back casing part is extremely sensitive. I never dropped the sflo2, and never intentionally scratched it. But I have 2 dents at the back metal part. And like I said, I don't think I've handled it badly in any way.

The firmware is not a problem, 2.0 is quite stable for me and only certain video files have crashed the player for me. However, there are certain things that they should definitely improve on like the ID tags (atrocious) but I can live without it.

Battery life is a big issue. Sorry, but by today's standards anything less than 20 hours of music playback is poor. This was one of the few drawbacks of the Clip+, and it's the same with the sflo2 for me. Yes I know, the advanced chips/circuitry/whatever is eating the power, but still.

I'm certainly looking forward to an sflo3. Maintain the awesome SQ and repair all the drawbacks, and you'll have an awesome player.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #874 of 3,682
There'll never be a perfect player. The S:Flo sounds good, that is for sure, but in some ways, it is hard to recommend for music. It is just so damn big! I want pocketable and sleek AND good sounding. If it was smaller, I'd consider it as a main player.

The build is okay definitely, but not amazing. It is better than my flimsy Nano 1G, Sony A845, and A828, but a step down from my iPod touch 2G.

I likes it though...

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #875 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There'll never be a perfect player. The S:Flo sounds good, that is for sure, but in some ways, it is hard to recommend for music. It is just so damn big! I want pocketable and sleek AND good sounding. If it was smaller, I'd consider it as a main player.

The build is okay definitely, but not amazing. It is better than my flimsy Nano 1G, Sony A845, and A828, but a step down from my iPod touch 2G.

I likes it though...

I find the HiFiMan HM801 rather large as well. It has ripped the top pocket of 2 shirts already......lol, but during the winter it was kind of cozy on cold days because it heats up like a small warming device. I just don't reach for it as often as I should because of its size.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #876 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking if the SQ of the s:flo2/t51 was so good, i could bear with the 16GB but now i'm not sure anymore. I own a Clip+ too. So if this is only as good as a clip+, i would pretty much be wasting $$$

Keep in mind the player has a microSD slot. Coupled with a cheap 16gb card you get 32gb capacity or a more pricey 32gb card and you have a 48gb player.
Both are decent capacities.
Also, about the sound quality of the s:flo2 vs the Clip+ I'll quote Young Spade from a recent PM reply after I asked him about living with both players.
Quote:

For sound quality, both players have great SQ. As you've probably read around here both of these players are getting great reviews for having great sound quality and I will back those 100 percent, however, the guess that the s:flo2 has the ability to drive higher impedance phones is right; it has more power than the Clip+ and, quite frankly, sounds better out of the headphone port.
I think the Clip sounds great and sounds amazing with classical and detail oriented music, but lacks the umph to put out the lower end umph that the s:flo2 can. The volume does get high with my UM3Xs, but when pushed as loud as it can the sound gets kind of smushed together and gets a little muddy because of the strain. The s:flo2 does that too, but that won't happen until the phones get to a volume that's too loud for normal listening (referring to the UM3Xs and Triples).

The s:flo2 also has a dedicated line out which sounds even better than the headphone out. When using with an amp, there's not hiss and everything sounds just a bit cleaner than the headphone out. You don't have to get an amp, but if you do, you won't be dissapointed
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #878 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind the player has a microSD slot. Coupled with a cheap 16gb card you get 32gb capacity or a more pricey 32gb card and you have a 48gb player.
Both are decent capacities.
Also, about the sound quality of the s:flo2 vs the Clip+ I'll quote Young Spade from a recent PM reply after I asked him about living with both players.

Thanks! I feel better already
icon10.gif
Afterall if i dont like it, i can just sell it off. I think there are plenty of people who would like to have a go at it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #879 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when sane people see stuffs like "blow away," "outclass," "huge difference," they raise their eyebrows. That and the fact that this player has a buggy firmware, questionable build quality, and , on top of all, an awesome battery life of 8 hours, err... no thanks.

Have you seen, held or heard this player?

Nope.

You with the raised eyebrows! Yes you! Move along!

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #880 of 3,682
Quote:

I likes it though...

For me it is much smaller than my last rig, The zune30 which was pretty big and my xm5 portable amp which was big as well. It also fits in my pocket just fine.

with the Sflo:2 my portable rig is simplified, the player and my IEM's as I no longer need a portable amp cause the SFLO:2 has enough power and sounds great.

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #881 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkchaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm certainly looking forward to an sflo3. Maintain the awesome SQ and repair all the drawbacks, and you'll have an awesome player.

I agree, I think there's enough concerns to warrant waiting for sflo:3 (S-flow-cubed)

(note to self - put credit card down)

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #882 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by au_d2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I think there's enough concerns to warrant waiting for sflo:3 (S-flow-cubed)

(note to self - put credit card down)

The SFLO:2 just came out and there is not even the slightest hint of talk about the SFLO:3 so if that is what you are waiting for it may be years down the road and something better may have come out by then.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #884 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me it is much smaller than my last rig, The zune30 which was pretty big and my xm5 portable amp which was big as well. It also fits in my pocket just fine.

with the Sflo:2 my portable rig is simplified, the player and my IEM's as I no longer need a portable amp cause the SFLO:2 has enough power and sounds great.

It does sound great, but I am yet unconvinced that I am getting the intense resolution that I get from the Sansa Fuze. On the other hand, I prefer the midrange of the Flo much more. But, I reckon that hard to drive earphones would benefit from an amp even from the S:Flo.

I'll have to give it a much longer and keener listen, but I am pretty convinced that it rolls off.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #885 of 3,682
Quote:

It does sound great, but I am yet unconvinced that I am getting the intense resolution that I get from the Sansa Fuze. On the other hand, I prefer the midrange of the Flo much more. But, I reckon that hard to drive earphones would benefit from an amp even from the S:Flo.

I'll have to give it a much longer and keener listen, but I am pretty convinced that it rolls off.

I know some RMAA tests were done with the SFLO:2 that did not show any rolloff, the pics are either in this thread or the Teclast\51 thread but can anyone do some tests that has a really good soundcard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back