S:flo2 impressions thread
Apr 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #721 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The battery life on this is what is keeping me from purchasing it.... Throwing $200+ at something that lasts 8-10hrs is quite pathetic.

Check actual numbers bro. None of them are over 200. "Gifts" and free shipping as well. Then compare the price to an Ipod or ZuneHD. The only thing that's lower is the clip.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #722 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by flaming_june /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check actual numbers bro. None of them are over 200. "Gifts" and free shipping as well. Then compare the price to an Ipod or ZuneHD. The only thing that's lower is the clip.

Shipped to Aus it is around $200... Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Cowon J3 seems like it could be worth it... Going on holidays is a perfect way to put player through its paces. I dont want to have one that wont last a whole flight over to Europe from Aus etc. Just not worth it in my book.

Im not here to rain on the flo's parade, i just think with the size they could of done alot better with the battery life.

But hey, knowing me and that sort of price... I'd probably end up getting one just to try it out lol...

*DOH*

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #723 of 3,682
Could anyone comment on the S:Flo2's bass performance, perhaps in
comparison to the Cowon S9 (my current DAP)?

The Headphonia review said (of the T51):

"Good thing a friend of mine made a comment about the T51’s bass, and he happened to be right! The T51’s bass punch is a little too polite (aka lacking), and even compared to a standard Ipod, the bass feels lacking. It doesn’t have both the Ipod’s bass punch and bass extension. Low bass presence is also missing, definitely less than what I hear through the Ipod (even the Classic). So, where does that leave us now? If you listen to a lot of Accoustic, Vocal, or Jazz, perhaps the wonderful soundstage, treble, and midrange of the Teclast will make up for the lack of bass. My friend, however, loves listening to bass guitar solos, and so the Teclast sound is killing his music."

Overall, the comments on the S:FLo2 are extremely positive but I've
heard remarks about bass rolloff.

Comments appreciated.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #724 of 3,682
Quote:

Im not here to rain on the flo's parade, i just think with the size they could of done alot better with the battery life.

The s:flo2 has a 2800mAh battery, this is larger than any mp3 player or even mobile phone that I know of. However because of all the power hungry audio chips inside the s:flo2 it uses a lot of power (7 main chips!), so it was not at all possible to some how make a magic mp3 player with killer audio and great battery life. ok? They did the best they could by at least using a massive battery. So everyone who was complaining can ****
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #725 of 3,682
Quote:

The battery life on this is what is keeping me from purchasing it.... Throwing $200+ at something that lasts 8-10hrs is quite pathetic.

LOL The HiFiMan801 ($799.00 last time I looked) doesn't get 10 hours even on a good day. At least I haven't seen 10 hours. Closer to 7.

The sound though is fantastic so I'm happy.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #726 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The s:flo2 has a 2800mAh battery, this is larger than any mp3 player or even mobile phone that I know of. However because of all the power hungry audio chips inside the s:flo2 it uses a lot of power (7 main chips!), so it was not at all possible to some how make a magic mp3 player with killer audio and great battery life. ok? They did the best they could by at least using a massive battery. So everyone who was complaining can ****
wink.gif

Righto...
popcorn.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #727 of 3,682
can some one tell me if the latest firmware is able to display all the meta data in FLAC files? that is a must for me and i was waiting for that.

also someone who has listened to the x1000 tell me how the bass compares to it? i consider the x1000s one of the best when came to bass.

cheers

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #728 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Good thing a friend of mine made a comment about the T51’s bass, and he happened to be right! The T51’s bass punch is a little too polite (aka lacking), and even compared to a standard Ipod, the bass feels lacking. It doesn’t have both the Ipod’s bass punch and bass extension. Low bass presence is also missing, definitely less than what I hear through the Ipod (even the Classic). So, where does that leave us now? If you listen to a lot of Accoustic, Vocal, or Jazz, perhaps the wonderful soundstage, treble, and midrange of the Teclast will make up for the lack of bass. My friend, however, loves listening to bass guitar solos, and so the Teclast sound is killing his music."

Comments appreciated.

Yeah, I'm slightly concerned about this as well.

A bass performance comparison (quantity and quality wise) to a iPhone, iPod, or Sony player would really help.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #729 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A bass performance comparison (quantity and quality wise) to a iPhone, iPod, or Sony player would really help.

+ the Cowon S9
wink_face.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #730 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't compare it to all those players but I can say the Bass on the SFLO:2 is better then the following players

Zune30
Zune16
ZuneHD
Sanza Fuse
any ipod I have heard

And any other player I have ever heard in passing. Best bass of any portable DAP without an amp I have ever heard.

I think this one review has really caused a stir where there is not one.

The Bass on the SFLO:2 is quite good, it is layered well, it is powerful, it does not need an amp to really PUSH great bass to your head phones. It does not inherently bleed into other freqs.

It also has a 5 band EQ, so if you feel the bass is lacking you can always adjust the EQ to your hearts content with the amount of bass it plays.

I think some people are reading this one review and freaking out. Bass is not an issue on this player in any way shape or form.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #731 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't compare it to all those players but I can say the Bass on the SFLO:2 is better then the following players

Zune30
Zune16
ZuneHD
Sanza Fuse
any ipod I have heard

And any other player I have ever heard in passing. Best bass of any portable DAP without an amp I have ever heard.

I think this one review has really caused a stir where there is not one.

The Bass on the SFLO:2 is quite good, it is layered well, it is powerful, it does not need an amp to really PUSH great bass to your head phones. It does not inherently bleed into other freqs.

It also has a 5 band EQ, so if you feel the bass is lacking you can always adjust the EQ to your hearts content with the amount of bass it plays.

I think some people are reading this one review and freaking out. Bass is not an issue on this player in any way shape or form.

Thanks, just placed my order.

Now I just have to get the JH16's. Really curious how they will sound with the s:flo2, especially the low-end frequency.

BTW, nice avatar. I'm a huge Kubrick fan.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #732 of 3,682
Bass cut-off and bass shy are different things, right?!

I haven't heard my S:flo2 for a few months now, but from what I recalled, I didn't have any problems with the bass. But I didn't get a chance to get some Primus in there, so I dunno. Will experiment in a week or so: p

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #733 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Comments appreciated.

I could be wrong but it wouldn't surprise me if his friend (a known basshead) had his ipod eq set to Rock while the Flo was flat. The ipod is already unnaturally bass centric which I have confirmed listening to my 2nd gen ipod nano w/ a flat eq setting.

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #734 of 3,682
Question-

what ohm level full sized headphones can the s:flo2/T51 drive fully, i read that on one site that its Headphone Output Power is Only: L(10mw) +R(10mw)(32Ω), now im not familiar with this kinda stuff but dont ipods have the same output power, so how is the s:flo2 better than the ipod can driving wise?

could it power 120ohm headphones efficiently ?

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #735 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused718 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question-

what ohm level full sized headphones can the s:flo2/T51 drive fully, i read that on one site that its Headphone Output Power is Only: L(10mw) +R(10mw)(32Ω), now im not familiar with this kinda stuff but dont ipods have the same output power, so how is the s:flo2 better than the ipod can driving wise?

could it power 120ohm headphones efficiently ?

Where did you read that? I've read it pretty much has the most powerful headphone output for a dap at 40MW per channel.

It is easily more powerful than any of the other DAPS I've owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back