S:flo2 impressions thread
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #616 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the 2 dot discs. Give's a little more bass without a mid bass hump and doesn't interfere with the mids or treble. The Zero dot discs is just bass overkill but would be useful if a source was really lacking in bass. I used them when I was playing around with my wife's ZuneHD and it helped make up for it's lack of bass.

I thought the 3 dot discs were a little to lean and analytical for my taste but would go well with a source that was bass bloated and not as detailed.

It is nice to have a great sounding IEM with so many sound signature options.

These sound options are unlimited in fact,cause not only dots counts - you can play with exact positions of caps turning them and you can muff holes as well.Then -acoustic chamber in your ear's channel interacts with chamber
inside earphones behind the membrana;changing position of earphone you can change sound again.SoundMagicPL30 uses similar system,but its nothing to compare with HippoVB.AudioTechnica made recently something similar,but
I have not seen it anywhere yet.
Zero dots are very good for Indian music with tabla.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #617 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACvest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used EMS for one order: no issues...

I used non-EMS "free INTL shipping" for the other and : issues galore...

EMS is obviously the tighter ship!!!

Isn't peace of mind worth $18 dollars when the Player is at such a Value compared to its performant capabilities???

Overall dealing with mp4nation has been painful TBH. Ordered 13th Jan, but then was informed 4 days later that the thing was out out of stock (despite no notification there was no stock). After numerous delays, including them promising to ship by a certain date (which they didn't) I got it on the 12th March, almost 2 months since I ordered. And the kicker is, they didn't even send the Beta Brainwavz that they promised as compensation (I purchased at a higher price than what they're selling now).

But yeah, I'm still annoyed with the s:flo2. It's such a great sounding player, but the touchscreen is so hard to operate. I'm wishing they had a D-Pad or something, so I can use it instead of using the touchscreen. I think one of these days I'll end up throwing the s:flo2 out of the window.....hmm

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #618 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkchaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think one of these days I'll end up throwing the s:flo2 out of the window.....hmm

Throw it in a parcel and send it to me prior to throwing it out any windows.
Please and thank you.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #619 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Throw it in a parcel and send it to me prior to throwing it out any windows.
Please and thank you.
wink.gif

i doubt he would derive nearly as much pleasure from doing that lol

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #620 of 3,682
Got my S:Flo2 last week and it is definitely a mixed bag. You could not hand one of these to the average Joe and expect them to be happy. Anyway I like it, but it has been a painful experience so far.

First off, upgrading the firmware was a pain. I performed the upgrade on a Win XP pc to version 2.0 and all appeared well. I then decided to copy some music to the player and that when things went pear shaped. My main PC in a Windows 7 64bit PC. I connect the S:Flo2 to it and copied 15GB of music to it and al appeared well. I disconnected the player and went to browse the music. Everything was corrupt. I plugged it back into the PC and tried to read the memory, Windows said the volume needed formatting. So I tried to reload the version 1.2 firmware with a force delete of the memory. Appeared to work, then the player would not turn back on. Tried the reset hole and still no good. A quick read on the MP4Nation forums gave me a work around and I put V 2.0 back on also performing a force delete. Once completed did a format of the volume and the S:Flo2 is now working again. Copied some music to it and crossed my fingers, disconnected the device and it can now read the music!!! Then my next problem, the S:Flo2 arragnes your music in the order it was copied
frown.gif
So had to use a 3rd party tool to organise my music.

Anyway I love the sound and it leaves my D2 for dead. The separation is amazing and so is the bass. In a lot of the punk and metal I listen to, I can even here the bass slapping away, when it normally just lost in the background.

To finish up a quick round up:

Pro:

- Excellent Sound
- Line-out is loud, AUX in the missus car is actually useful, IPOD use to have to crank it to full and the car stereo almost to full just to hear it.
- Good power from internal amp, can drive my SHURE SRH844 nicely

Cons:

- Slight hum when playing, can only here when track starts etc
- Can hear noise when navigating music menu and no music is playing
- Firmware update is a pain in the arse
- Doesn't organise music logically, need a 3rd party app
- Touch screen not the most responsive, compared to my Samsung Galaxy, scrolling is very slow.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #621 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkchaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall dealing with mp4nation has been painful TBH. Ordered 13th Jan, but then was informed 4 days later that the thing was out out of stock (despite no notification there was no stock). After numerous delays, including them promising to ship by a certain date (which they didn't) I got it on the 12th March, almost 2 months since I ordered. And the kicker is, they didn't even send the Beta Brainwavz that they promised as compensation (I purchased at a higher price than what they're selling now).

But yeah, I'm still annoyed with the s:flo2. It's such a great sounding player, but the touchscreen is so hard to operate. I'm wishing they had a D-Pad or something, so I can use it instead of using the touchscreen. I think one of these days I'll end up throwing the s:flo2 out of the window.....hmm

But is it really fair to blame the player which you 1) probably KNEW had a touchscreen and 2) have maybe not gotten to know yet? also 3) how could you expect a Touchscreen Player to have a D-Pad?

U sure you aren't trolling? xp

I understand it does take a bit of getting used to the differently coded UI. However, it is worth it for the SQ? yes or no?

And furthermore: if You deem it unsuitable for On The Go usage, what about more relaxing environments? If you still dislike it theres the FS forums...

I'm not bashing you I'm just standing up for the abashed player, which does an excellent job at delivering audio via a touchscreen; with a UI albeit utilitarian in nature, that gets things done a tad differently than 'western' players...

And if the UI pisses you off, please be sure to install the Pure & Simple firmware v.2.00 available here.

I've done it, it requires Windows XP, but is WORTH it, for the more lovely UI... and the improved behavior overall.

As for the Touchscreen being difficult??? I find it to be absolutely THE most responsive touchscreen I've ever come across or fiddled with including the ZuneHD, and the iPhone 3G, and the Android G1, to name some VERY nice panels. For a capacitive panel its much more accurate than the COWON S9. I don't really understand the nature of youre gripe here, as it IS DEFINITELY a GOOD touchscreen panel on the s:flo2/T51...

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #622 of 3,682
FLACvest: As for the Touchscreen being difficult??? I find it to be absolutely THE most responsive touchscreen I've ever come across or fiddled with including the ZuneHD, and the iPhone 3G, and the Android G1, to name some VERY nice panels. For a capacitive panel its much more accurate than the COWON S9. I don't really understand the nature of youre gripe here, as it IS DEFINITELY a GOOD touchscreen panel on the s:flo2/T51...

I would agree 200 percent. Today I was just messing with it and started controlling the screen with my steel top from the UE phones.... pretty funny. VERY VERY sensitive though; I have to wait until the screen cuts off or my leg will mess with the player through my pocket.

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #623 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLACvest: As for the Touchscreen being difficult??? I find it to be absolutely THE most responsive touchscreen I've ever come across or fiddled with including the ZuneHD, and the iPhone 3G, and the Android G1, to name some VERY nice panels. For a capacitive panel its much more accurate than the COWON S9. I don't really understand the nature of youre gripe here, as it IS DEFINITELY a GOOD touchscreen panel on the s:flo2/T51...

I would agree 200 percent. Today I was just messing with it and started controlling the screen with my steel top from the UE phones.... pretty funny. VERY VERY sensitive though; I have to wait until the screen cuts off or my leg will mess with the player through my pocket.

Now thats a true. I have mine shut off within 10 seconds... for walking around.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #625 of 3,682
I've been considering a more advanced DAP than my Shuffle, which is great and will still see lots of use, and this thread has been a big help. Thanks to all who've contributed.

I'm soooo not a fan of iTunes. The first thing I did after unboxing my Shuffle was to wipe it and use the popular Shuffle hack to make it a standard mp3 player. So stepping up to a Nano, iPod, Touch or other Apple product was not really something I was interested in.

I'd been looking at the Samsung offerings but really wanted something that catered more to the Audiophile. Not that I consider myself one, but I can hear the differences between a lot of products, and once you hear the bad, it seems like that's all I hear. My BlackBerry Curve for instance, is a horrible DAP.
So anyway, I just submitted a pre-order for the 16GB model. Since my Shuffle seems to drive my TF10's OK, I'm sure I'll be more than pleased with this unit's HP-out.

I just hope that it ships with the latest firmware....

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #626 of 3,682
It seems the S:Flo2 16GB - Preorder B3 - is going to be delayed..
frown.gif

Got this from MP4 Nation after inquiring on a shipping date for mine:

Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:12am - Admin

The S:Flo2 is delayed, an email will be sent to all S:Flo2 buyers informing them on this delay.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #627 of 3,682
After another day with the S:FLO2, I am rediscovering older albums with softer recordings all over. My D2 I would really need to pump the volume into the 40's on some albums, and the sound would break down and become hard to listen to, all while lacking any bottom end. The S:FLO2 in doing a marvelous job reproducing these albums to a level I would be happy from my home hifi. As a long time Cowon user, I think it will be hard now to go back and listen to my trusty old D2
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #628 of 3,682
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems the S:Flo2 16GB - Preorder B3 - is going to be delayed..
frown.gif

Got this from MP4 Nation after inquiring on a shipping date for mine:

Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:12am - Admin

The S:Flo2 is delayed, an email will be sent to all S:Flo2 buyers informing them on this delay.

Oh my! ive ordered in this batch also.. when is the estimated ship out date? i didnt get no email

Users who are viewing this thread

Back