S:flo2 impressions thread
Sep 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #3,316 of 3,682
I bought a Teclast t51 based on the positive feedback here purely for sound quality. I normally use a Rockboxed Sansa 2  with a UE TF10. Even after running in for 20hrs with my Grado SR60i at full volume I do not feel the sound of the Teclast T51 has opened up. I feel my Sansa Fuze 2 is pretty transparent, neutral with tight bass. So my question is - is this how - soft bass,forward mids, warm treble is how the Teclast sounds ? Or should I run it for more hours before I judge it. I am a little worried as of now. (Actually, even my Macbook , that I am currently listening to, sounds transparent). 

What are you using the T51 with? Synergy will make or break a rig. If your headphones or IEMs are bright then the T51 is not a good match with it. The T51 is naturally a brighter DAP while the Hifiman 601/602 are more mellow and laid back (darker). Also are your IEMs garbage?, dont take it personally but you get what you pay for. Don't buy an expensive player to expect good sound out of cheap ear buds, you'll have to invest on both ends to fully utilize the T51.

Did you check what version you are running? I think 2.3 is the latest firmware (I could be wrong so do a search). The latest firmware tightens the bass and gives more detail without causing clipping like the previous firmwares did. It also lowers the screen noise while the screen is active. Lastly try running the T51 on flat EQ that may help. Good luck.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #3,317 of 3,682
Based on my Memory, T51 has outperformed in terms of stage width and crystal-clear treble every other gadget I had heared. Even HiFiMan could not match the clarity and crispness teclast did... It should totally blow Fuse 2 and every other non-audiophile media player. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #3,318 of 3,682

The sflo2 does have some nice treble but for me it was a bit too piercing and not smooth enough. I don't agree on the soundstaging being bigger on the sflo2 than the 601 though. I hear it quite differently. Plus the 601 has more detail in it's mids and bass due to the treble not overshadowing it's own mids.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #3,319 of 3,682

Quote:
What are you using the T51 with? Synergy will make or break a rig. If your headphones or IEMs are bright then the T51 is not a good match with it. The T51 is naturally a brighter DAP while the Hifiman 601/602 are more mellow and laid back (darker). Also are your IEMs garbage?, dont take it personally but you get what you pay for. Don't buy an expensive player to expect good sound out of cheap ear buds, you'll have to invest on both ends to fully utilize the T51.

Did you check what version you are running? I think 2.3 is the latest firmware (I could be wrong so do a search). The latest firmware tightens the bass and gives more detail without causing clipping like the previous firmwares did. It also lowers the screen noise while the screen is active. Lastly try running the T51 on flat EQ that may help. Good luck.

UE TF10 are garbage?

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #3,320 of 3,682
Thanks folks. yes I am using the Utlimate Ears Triple Fi 10 (which I like very much). I would not mind if the Teclast/slfo2 were bright. It seems dark now. That is why I was wondering whether it needs to be "broken in" or "burn in" before it opens up and was wondering what your impressions were of the player "stock"/brand new.
Anyways, I let the player again play for another 5 or 6 hrs last night and it looks like the bass is getting more defined/opening up (I have 25-30hrs now). Earlier, I had switched to listening with my Sansa Fuze because of this "un-open" sound of my new teclast. 
I know some/many (?) people dont believe in, but to me the very first moment I got the player it was really bad to listen to. It is much better now.
(Please note, I do have some decent home rig with Silverline Sonatina speakers/Squeezebox with upgraded power supply/TACT digital amps and have some ear for sound quality).

Sep 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #3,321 of 3,682
Quote:
I bought a Teclast t51 based on the positive feedback here purely for sound quality. I normally use a Rockboxed Sansa 2  with a UE TF10. Even after running in for 20hrs with my Grado SR60i at full volume I do not feel the sound of the Teclast T51 has opened up. I feel my Sansa Fuze 2 is pretty transparent, neutral with tight bass. So my question is - is this how - soft bass,forward mids, warm treble is how the Teclast sounds ? Or should I run it for more hours before I judge it. I am a little worried as of now. (Actually, even my Macbook , that I am currently listening to, sounds transparent). 

With the Phonak Audeos the sflo2 sounds pretty much the same as my rockboxed Clip. I made sure to confirm my impressions with a blind test and some unloaded RMAA measures. By hey the Phonaks are probably garbage too.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3,322 of 3,682
Ooops, TF10 is sensitive to output impedance.  I'm not sure what the output impedance is for the sflo2 anymore but what you describe is your FR being screwed up by an impedance >1ohm.  Many players have the same issue.  The TF10 is probably not a good match due to its crossover.  The TF10 is well known for this issue.  Measurements of the TF10 w/ these players shows the treble falling off a cliff.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #3,323 of 3,682

Quote:
Ooops, TF10 is sensitive to output impedance.  I'm not sure what the output impedance is for the sflo2 anymore but what you describe is your FR being screwed up by an impedance >1ohm.  Many players have the same issue.  The TF10 is probably not a good match due to its crossover.  The TF10 is well known for this issue.  Measurements of the TF10 w/ these players shows the treble falling off a cliff.

I figured it was something with synergy. I guess that would also be in the synergy bit rflmao. Get better or more compatible earbuds. And as I said I'd stay away from bright sources with bright cans, they just don't play nice together. Try to find balance between both.

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3,324 of 3,682
The S:Flo2 actually has the lowest output impedance of any other DAP that's been tested via HO, I believe it's 0.4, a notch lower than the Clip+'s. Clip+ graph vs S:Flo2 graph with TF10. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3,325 of 3,682
So is that a good thing or a bad thing? Sounds like a good thing? I think the Hifiman 601 would still be a better match if the TF10 is a bright IEM. Then again I still find the 601 to be quite better anyways. More emphasis on mids and the low end and smooth non fatiguing treble.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #3,327 of 3,682

Quote:
If it's 0.4ohms then that's not the problem.  I'd guess settings or FW.

I think 2.3 is the newest version. I tested extensively between the older firmware and the newer one. I came to the conclusion that the newer firmware is superior. It tightened the bass and added more clarity (also helped to minimize the screen hiss). The older version had more bass and wasn't as clear sounding, also had the potential to clip the amp due to too much power. The bass was more of a bloated-farty-bass.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #3,328 of 3,682
Agree completely.  The new FW is much better.  2.3 was the last slfo2 I heard when I had it.  I'd be surprised if some were still floating around w/o 2.3.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #3,329 of 3,682
I have 2.3 version of fw. The sound is different from that of my Sansa Fuze now. But it seems to be changing. I will be patient for a few more days. Surprizing none of you mention the sound brand new vs after hours of listening. I will keep you all posted

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #3,330 of 3,682

Quote:
I have 2.3 version of fw. The sound is different from that of my Sansa Fuze now. But it seems to be changing. I will be patient for a few more days. Surprizing none of you mention the sound brand new vs after hours of listening. I will keep you all posted

I'm sure I did but probably got buried in this or another thread way back.  I thought mine was a great candidate for testing electrical burn-in on a DAP.  >.>   <.<  (climbs back under rock)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back