RUMOR: AIAIAI TMA1 X portable lightweight TMA 1 version
Oct 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

burtontrail

New Head-Fier
Rumor has it, AIAIAI is planning a lightweight, portable version of the TMA 1.

Specs says:
- lighter than TMA 1
- shielded, double strenghend headband
- impendance 32ohms, sensitivity of 102dB, 160grams of weight
- listed at 119 Euro

- not available yet.

Earpads seem to be different (for sure flatter, regarding the render, maybe not compatible) than the original ones.
I hope it has the decent drivers and is not a crappy spin off like the HD25 SP...

Source:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/product/B00FYPHQ9O

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 47
I'm interested in it for a donor headphone body...

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 47
Hi

I bought a pair of the TMA-1 X on friday. I will return them on monday...

I bought these as an replacement for my old akg k 518 dj. The pads broke on the old Akgs. Ive been testing the Aiaiai TMA-1 X alot the last couple of days.. They are really cool looking and I like the design on them. They sound really good. Better sounding than my Akg. The problem with them is the thin uncomfortable ear pads and that they dont block out ANY sound at all.

For example, I was walking besides a road with heavy traffic earlyer today, listening to an old Nightmare On Wax album. The noise from the traffic was just to disturbing no matter how high i turned the volume on my Nokia Lumia 920.. 
Right now I wish i had some headphones to block out my wifes Sex in the City tv show thats low in the background. My Akgs is broke and my new AIAIAI TMA-1 X is not up for the job... My Akgs was more than enough for the job...
Earlier today I was taking the bus, watching some tutorial videos on my phone, and had to give it up because some teenagers sitting next to me was talking a bit loud...

Forget blocking out crying babys on airplanes with the AIAIAI TMA-1 X..

Ive tested them with my Nokia Lumia 920 and at home conected to a Nad AV recievier. Button and mic worked on my phone.

That said, I hope to swap them for some TMA-1 dj or studios.. But this time Ill do some serious testing before i buy...

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 47
Try the TMA1s if you like the sound. Mine needed a few days, but sound great now. They isolate well, people say the clamping is loose, but it's right on me. Must have a big head. Try them out at best buy. I did and was pleased. I sit next to chatty coworkers with poor taste in music, so I rely on my TMA1s. You can grab a pair for $150 these days.

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 47
Thanks for the input jetjaguar. No Best Buy in Scandinavia, but ill try before i buy.. Its to bad, because i really like the sound on them, when its quiet around me.. Been listening to everything from jazz, to sepultura.. Flac files..

I didnt have any problem with the Akg clamping my head, and they are famous for it, so i dont think it will be a problem. I am skinny, head too... The TMA-1 X have very skinny, kind of hard ear pads with a seam on them thats annoying me...

Good to hear that your TMA1 is good isolated.. Sounds like what i need!

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 47
So I still have my Aiaiai TMA-1 X.

I have a hard time returning them. They have become a little better on the sound isolation, now that I know them better, and I have found a perfect fit on my head/ears for them. Good on-ear fit. They are no good at sound isolation, but for out and about in the city, ive grown to like it. Its good to hear a little bit of what is going on around me. The mic and remote is really good, and for using them with a phone, ive found them to be really good. I can answer calls without taking them off, knowing I am not talking loud for the entire buss or mall... I can also pause the music without taking them off in stores or talking to people I meet.

Same for night time. I really like the sound and the fact that I hear if the fire alarm goes of, or gunshots on the streets... :)

To compare, it feels like they are inbetween Koss Portapro and my Akg k518dj isolation wise.. Whats really good is that they are not leaking any sound at all, so I can blast them loud without thinking about the people around me.

Soundwise I read somewhere online that they are closer to the TMA-1 studios than the TMA-1 DJs. Ive only heard the Studios, and kind of agree. I can see bassheads be a bit underwhelmed by these, or even people comming from the TMA-1 DJs.

One thing I dont like is that I feel like I was the first one to buy them in the world. So any first batch misstakes, and I am in a not so good place..
Ive come to the conclusion that I now need more than one pair of headphones, instead of trying to get one pair to do it all.. I am a heavy user, so I dont see why not.. So ive ordered new ear pads for my AKG K518 DJ, Sennheiser HD25 Earpads. They have been good at blocking out my wifes TV and on airplanes.. Thats for now. For the future, I see myself getting TMA-1 Studios Young Guru from Aiaiai..

But as a guy who used to work as a DJ, I feel Aiaiai has market these phones wrong.. NO WAY I would ever DJ with them....

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 47
Wow, they sound a bit like Studios? That's good bang for your buck! I really love the look of those, almost want a pair! Glad it worked out. If i ever see a sale, i am all over those!

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 47
I've always appreciated the TMA-1, I have a pair here that I bought a while back and they are still the best electronic music headphone I've used. The energy the TMA-1give off are one of a kind. I probably won't get these but wouldn't mind checking the local best buy for a little listen.

Great price too.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 47
They feature a dynamic and balanced sound, suitable for all types of music.

http://www.aiaiai.dk/store/headphones/tma-1-x

I  think Aiaiai is spot on there.. Right now i am listening to Soulfly Enslaved. Flac ripped from the CD. Love the sound.. Using Foobar2000, PC, Creative soundcard, Nad t743, tma-1 x... Other albums Ive really enjoyed lately is Erykah Badu Baduizm, Conversions A K&D Selection (old drum and bass), Cal Tjader Soul Burst, Dimmu Borgir Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, to name a few.. Pretty varied...

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 47
They feature a dynamic and balanced sound, suitable for all types of music.

http://www.aiaiai.dk/store/headphones/tma-1-x

I  think Aiaiai is spot on there.. Right now i am listening to Soulfly Enslaved. Flac ripped from the CD. Love the sound.. Using Foobar2000, PC, Creative soundcard, Nad t743, tma-1 x... Other albums Ive really enjoyed lately is Erykah Badu Baduizm, Conversions A K&D Selection (old drum and bass), Cal Tjader Soul Burst, Dimmu Borgir Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, to name a few.. Pretty varied...

Nice choice with K&D. That's a classic. I want to check these out badly now! I like my TMA1s so much, i'd love to try the other sets...

Dec 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #13 of 47
Here is your Aiaiai Tma-1 DJ hard at work in the boiler room. Looks like the Fool's Gold edition. Not only a fashion accessory. A-Trak has some skills... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUZ1A6xbWw

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 47
aiaiai, first review out! For you who dont know, Aiaiai or Aye Yai Yai, can be an expression for suprise... aiaiai, thats some nice shoes. or complaining: aiaiai, my head hurts from beeing drunk yesterday... Or aiaiai, first tma-1 x review is out.. Dont remember, but I think the expression is international... We use it here in scandinavia, but ive heard spannish and italians use it..

Well here:

Thankfully, the TMA-1 X lacked the exaggerated bass of other headphones aimed at DJs, making them a suitable substitute for monitoring quick mixes and production tasks. However, the lightweight design of the TMA-1 X did mean that the smaller earcups provided less sound isolation than larger headphones typically offer, but such a trade-off seems necessary given the design imperatives.

http://www.xlr8r.com/gear/2013/12/aiaiai-tma-1-x-headphones

Seems like they came to much the same conclution as I did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back