Rugby World Cup 2007
Oct 5, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #76 of 129
Well, in less than 24 hours we'll know the outcome of the Australia/England match. Going out on a limb here, but I think the Wallabies will win by two tries.

Im too biased, but any predictions for the ABs/France match? Looks like the ABs maybe wearing silver. Damn!

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #77 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, in less than 24 hours we'll know the outcome of the Australia/England match. Going out on a limb here, but I think the Wallabies will win by two tries.

Im too biased, but any predictions for the ABs/France match? Looks like the ABs maybe wearing silver. Damn!

I think there is an element of destiny at work here. The Boks appear to be on a grand tour of all the island nations
biggrin.gif
I will go with a Boks/All Black final.

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #78 of 129
Best thread on Head-fi, ever.
This RWC is looking to be one of the best in terms of appropriate team match-ups.

Argentina vs Scotland, IMO, will be the most openly played out of the 4 QFs. Scotland to put on a good show, but I'd say Argentina in a close one.

Expect some yellow cards in the Fiji/SA game, a very bruising game but SA to win comfortably. Fijian's defense and discipline against Wales during their triple-try run was woeful, irrespective of a one-man short line. Having said that, Fiji have exceeded everyone's expectations in reaching the QFs. And like Korea in the football WC, they've got nothing to lose, nor the pressure to succeed, unlike the Springboks.

All-Blacks vs France will be tense trench warfare, and I'm certain that whoever wins this match will be in the GF. ABs to win with penalty difference.

I'll probably fall asleep watching my team play England. The wallabies have done nothing to put them as a major RWC contender. Nor has England for that matter. The only good thing for Australia in the WC is the blooding of Berrick Barnes. The only other rookie to have made such a commotion in the past was Stephen Larkham. Australia to win, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #79 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best thread on Head-fi, ever.
This RWC is looking to be one of the best in terms of appropriate team match-ups.

Argentina vs Scotland, IMO, will be the most openly played out of the 4 QFs. Scotland to put on a good show, but I'd say Argentina in a close one.

Expect some yellow cards in the Fiji/SA game, a very bruising game but SA to win comfortably. Fijian's defense and discipline against Wales during their triple-try run was woeful, irrespective of a one-man short line. Having said that, Fiji have exceeded everyone's expectations in reaching the QFs. And like Korea in the football WC, they've got nothing to lose, nor the pressure to succeed, unlike the Springboks.

All-Blacks vs France will be tense trench warfare, and I'm certain that whoever wins this match will be in the GF. ABs to win with penalty difference.

I'll probably fall asleep watching my team play England. The wallabies have done nothing to put them as a major RWC contender. Nor has England for that matter. The only good thing for Australia in the WC is the blooding of Berrick Barnes. The only other rookie to have made such a commotion in the past was Stephen Larkham. Australia to win, but I wouldn't put money on it.

You forcasting a close game for the ABs against France, Lord Mike? You could be right. I hope not. But the French defense will certainly worry the AB backs...a lot!

It's going to be an interesting set of games the next couple of days. And with a single elimination game, upsets could be a plenty!

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #80 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forcasting a close game for the ABs against France, Lord Mike? You could be right. I hope not. But the French defense will certainly worry the AB backs...a lot!

It's going to be an interesting set of games the next couple of days. And with a single elimination game, upsets could be a plenty!

Yes, and I actually hope it is a close, hard-fought game for the All-Blacks' sake.
Too many teams in past WRCs have had easy preparations right up to the elimination rounds, only to be shell-shocked once they face a decent team in the finals. They've cruised too comfortably up to this stage.
A defensive-orientated French team is exactly the kind of preparation they need to secure the last two rounds.

Despite my Wallaby roots, I believe the All-Blacks deserve to hoist 'Bill' this time round.
I also have a funny feeling it's going to be a Argentina/NZ final.

Oct 6, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #81 of 129
Considering the RWC only comes around every 4 years, and most players only get one or two shots at it during their careers, I am utterly ******** off by lack of discipline and the ease with which we were rattled and retaliated.
Wallaby forwards, in particular, were played like a bunch of drunken college girls.

Congrats to the english head-fiers.Your team deserved the win and played the better game, tactically and instinctively.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #83 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...just Wow! Even though I thought the English would sneak through, I didn't figure they could find a way to pull it off. Wow...

Englands tigh front five didn't sneak through, they made some really good and important gains. Congratulations to England! Maybe they are on the upswing finally.

It's sad to see the ABs go. They have but themselves to blame with the time of a player in the sin bin giving momentum to France.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #86 of 129
Wow...What a weekend!! Wish I could've been there. Did manage to catch the last 20 minutes or so of the ABs/France match though...Why the AB's didn't have a go at a drop goal is a mystery.
confused.gif
..When they finally did it was from the half way line for petes sake. They were camped inside the French 22 for ages it seemed.
Congrats to Argentina too..
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #87 of 129
Yeah great weekend, I missed the England match but had the chance to watch everything else. I was expecting tight matches but not this hard and defensive. It just shows that each team deserves to be in the quarters and for 80 minutes each 8 team can be at the same level.

I don't know what went wrong with the AB, individually I still think they are the better players but at least 4 guys went down during the match because of injury. Maybe wearing that ugly grey jersey took their aura and transformed them into glass.
tongue.gif
. I think they didn't went for the drop because they had momentum and were dominating physically at the end. A try would also protect them from a last minute counter drop. They were also 1 or 2 forward passes from France during their try, guess the ref was a bit off but it's part of rugby I suppose.

Aside from Fiji everyone played hard and basic rugby, physical and somehow uncreative. I am gratefull for the 2 great matches they offered and would love to see them play more frequently. Which other team scores 2 tries with 14 players against the Springboks, as example AB were so dominated during their yellow card period. I guess they are so good playing 7 a side that having too much players just slows them down.
biggrin.gif

Congratulations to the semi finalist.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #88 of 129
Page 4, 10/8...Monday....time to resurrect!!!

It has taken me all this time to recover...spent all week in the garage...couldn't face the bride after all the ABs' bragging I have done for months!!!!!!!! I couldn't talk to anyone for two days after the calamity. Mute. Nothing. Total silence. Didn't even drink!

Predictions???? Bookies have France by 8. I am taking England by 3....and that's not a grudge bet!

I think Argentina will have a really hard time against the Sprinboks. But who knows?

Anyone want to weigh in? Who's going to be watching tomorrow? I, for one.

Let's keep this going, lads (and ladettes)....please.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #89 of 129
I was a bit shocked to see the Poms beat the Aussies, but Wilkinson does make a big difference to a team that cant score tries against reasonable oposition.

As for the ABs, well I just had a feeling at half time that it could get sticky, there wasn't any passion from the team, no fire in the belly.
As you can imagine talk back and sport radio here has been dominated by the result over the last week, feeling ranging from anger to resignation.

Why the ABs resorted to a kicking game and negated their attacking strengths puzzles me as does the apparent lack of on field leadership and an inability to change a game plan mid match if needed.
The refereeing was poor but NZ had enough ball and territory to overcome that.

I would really be dissapointed if England wins as their style is so boring but maybe thats what's needed to get the world cup.
Opinion here seems to be that the majority of fans would rather see good attacking rugby other the years and no cup than the other way round.With an 87% winning record over the last few years the ABs are still the worlds best team, cup or no cup.

My head says that South Africa would be odds on to win but I'd love to see Argentina come through and confound all the experts.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #90 of 129
double post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back