Rugby World Cup 2007
Oct 19, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #106 of 129
Heads up to one and all.....BIG GAME tomorrow, Saturday: England vs. South Africa for the World Cup in Rugby at 9pm in Paris. Good game to watch! And yes, unlike the Stupor Bowl and rounders world series, teams from all over the world compete to make it a true world Cup tournament.

Rugby kicks American Football's proverbial arse!! Watch a real man's (and woman's) game...no pads, no helmets, no timeouts, no oxygen on the sideline after a 10-metre run, no hot dogging after a tackle or touchdown (which it isn't by the way)....pathetic bloody game is American football....takes more than 3 hours to play of which 20 minutes is actual play and the remainder committe meetings...

Boy, that felt good!

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #107 of 129
[size=medium]LOL![/size] Hope your flamesuit is in good condition
biggrin.gif

Best of luck to England. May Johnny Wilkinson's boot kick like never before! You South Africans are far too confident
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #108 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heads up to one and all.....BIG GAME tomorrow, Saturday: England vs. South Africa for the World Cup in Rugby at 9pm in Paris. Good game to watch! And yes, unlike the Stupor Bowl and rounders world series, teams from all over the world compete to make it a true world Cup tournament.

Rugby kicks American Football's proverbial arse!! Watch a real man's (and woman's) game...no pads, no helmets, no timeouts, no oxygen on the sideline after a 10-metre run, no hot dogging after a tackle or touchdown (which it isn't by the way)....pathetic bloody game is American football....takes more than 3 hours to play of which 20 minutes is actual play and the remainder committe meetings...

Boy, that felt good!

OUCH! Them's fighting words...

It does remind me of a documentary I saw once, where a rugby team and an american football team got together and taught each other their respective games. At the end of the documentary there were 2 games between the two teams, one in each sport. The American football team narrowly held their own in their discipline, but in rugby they didn't come close.

But, in lighter news, did anybody catch the play-off this evening? W o w , what a spanking for the French!

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #109 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OUCH! Them's fighting words...

It does remind me of a documentary I saw once, where a rugby team and an american football team got together and taught each other their respective games. At the end of the documentary there were 2 games between the two teams, one in each sport. The American football team narrowly held their own in their discipline, but in rugby they didn't come close.

But, in lighter news, did anybody catch the play-off this evening? W o w , what a spanking for the French!

I'm ready....no helmet, no pads, no flamesuit!!!!

Yes, I watched Argentina beat France. Ugly beginning, wasn't it? I wonder what the score would have been if Argentina had 50-50 ball. The Pumas scored five tries with much less than 50% possession. They put on a pretty damn good show of tackling (real tackling...nothing like the holding of hands like American football players!!!!!). And why, pray tell, did the French decide to try to maul so much the time? Certainly didn't phase the Pumas. The ABs made a huge mistake to spend so much time in the quarter finals with the pick and drive, and for what? You'd think the French would have taken away something from that.

Good for Pichot. Great way to end a career. And congratulations to Argentina for taking 3rd place!

Now, for tomorrow. If I was to say anything to the Sprinboks it would be this: keep it simple. Their tight five can match England's. And I think their back line is better. For England, I would say this: keep possession, make the Spingboks make mistakes and take the penalties!!!!! It's going to be close.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #110 of 129
Is anyone else pissed off with the way the North American broadcast rights for the RWC were handled this year? Here in Canada, you had to purchase the Setanta sports channel for $15/month (minimum 4 month commitment), which got you 25 crappy live matches. If you wanted to see the other 23 (including the knock-out stage and final), you had to pay $200 for a PPV package, or $25/match ($35 for the final). Because most of the important matches were PPV, almost nowhere showed them here. The closest place showing the final is 70km away in Burlington, and they will no doubt be charging a $20 cover to pay for Setanta's ridiculous PPV fees. Most places don't even bother because they aren't sure they can attract enough people to make it worthwhile.

All matches of the 1999 and 2003 RWCs were shown live, without charge, on regular cable here. Now it's $260 for access to all live matches, and it's impossible to find a local pub or bar showing any of the important ones. Hooray for progress.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #111 of 129
Couldn't agree more, Bob. Lucky for me, there's a pub (Irish!) only 15 minutes from me that has shown all the games. But a $20 entrance fee, plus beer, plus food has been a drain on the old wallet. I had to take out a loan!!!

Rugby is not a sport with much following in the US. I would have thought more so in Canada. The LA times rarely reports on the rugby world cup and if it does, just a few sentences on the inside back page!

A little over three hours to the start of the match. Prediciton (despite all I have said!): England by 3!!!

Here's what I would love to see: quick ball from set and loose play, lots of passes, really tough defense and any mistakes are really punished. Good fast game with minimal kicking (although SA would be good to kick so speedy Bryan Habana can get to the bouncing ball). Robinson at #15 always worries me, but maybe he's due for a stellar game. Percy Montgomery's boot has been better than Wilkinson's, so that may be a factor.

Just rambling....sorry...

See you after the match. Go ALL BLACKS!!!.......oops, sorry....I was dreaming!

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #116 of 129
It was never our night. Much as it pains me, it's clearly a deserved victory from a superior and imperious South Africa side. We never got the scores when it mattered.

I am not even going to moan about the disallowed try, because I recon his boot wasn't quite lifted in time anyway.

Bloody good work to come second, though...

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #117 of 129
Congrats to SA, good work there. It wasn't as one sided as I thought it might be. Ahh well Seconds not so bad, after all. Least we beat France
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #118 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just died a little inside...

As did I

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #120 of 129
Gee die bal vir Brian!
tongue.gif

Well, that gameplan worked most of the WC, though wasn't so consequential in the final. Great game England - as I predicted it was very close, very tough, and you could see how the English boys gave it their all. It's was very enjoyable to watch such a competitive game!

See you in NZ in 2011!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back