Rudistor RP33 is home...!!!
Dec 27, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #106 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I am not a man of means, although my tastes are way above what I can afford. A couple of years ago, $1300 would have been in the upper range...but now, I would consider it, a middle of the range headphone amp.
Rudistor's RP6-DQ is about $500 more, and the RP010 is about $4 grand.
The Maestro and Stealth are $3k. A modded Cary, or an Angstrom, or an Egmont is in the same range. You get my point. The amp options are tremendous, now, and so is the price range.
The problem is (and this happened to me), is that when you buy an amp that is built for 1 type of load, when you change cans, you're screwed.
I have not heard the RP33 yet, but one of it's attributes is, that it has 2 headphone jacks for a range of impedences.
GoRedwings19 has a good point of asking "how it sounds, with a variety of cans", because most of us headphone lunatics, have more than one pair of headphones...and will continue to buy and sell, until we find our "perfect" setup.
A money back guarantee, and a risk free at home trial, is a wonderful way, for us to safely try things, other than at meets, for 20 hours, and make proper decisions on expensive purchases.

EDIT: Sorry for the redundancy about the 2 jacks issue, I was writing the post while watching the Jets get killed by the Patriots, and Sovkiller answered while I was in the middle of my reply.

Well Aaron, just get as many cans as you can, and we will have a lot of fun, and beers...LOL...

Guru if the apology was directed to me, I gladly accept it, just to show my good faith in humanity, but please do not keep on digging on the same, I have never stated anything that could be out of your, nor anybody standards, all what I have stated was IMO and according to my limited experience, and was stated as such. What is wrong is reading such posts, we read those everyday here, for the future choose another monkey for your jokes or commnets, or use the PM service, it would be a lot more appropriate, and if you convince me that I'm wrong, I will be the first in gladly accept it, and modify my posts....not the first time, BTW

Runningwater I'm not an expert but according to what I have read, and see in the practice, usually the problem with the high/low impedance issue is becasue of the lack of voltage or current at the jacks, this ususally is a problem with tube amps, connected on OTL, not enough current, or with small amps running out of batteries, of small PSUs. I don't think that this amp will have any problems driving any load, it has two extremelly big PSUs capable of let the amp work with any load, it shows very good performance with the CD3000, I don't see any reason for other less picky headphones not to work fine, K-1000 aside, as usual, but anyway for sure, let's wait....
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #108 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
The two are just different gain, right?

One have a resistor network behind to tame the gain a little bit....I personally use the one with no resistors all the time, even while it is supposed that I use the other, and the sound is perfect for me.

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #109 of 178
If I do not consider the RP010, the RP33 is for my tests the best amp in that class of price (and even twice the price). The best for Qualia, RS-1, HD 650 and CD 3000. I'm speaking after have done test and not only by fantasy...

One of the best caracteristics of these amps (SS RP series) is the big soundstage, so if you have a can with this caracteristic you will love the amp a lot. The Grados IMO do not have that kind of soundstage, but if you are a Grado lover, you can add a good soundstage to this headphones.

Another incredible caracteristic of these SS amps is that you still have a warm and very musical sound (as or more than many tube amp).

One of the last test I have done was this: EAR HP-4 vs RP33 with the Qualia... as you know I sold the EAR !

Best!
Nicola

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #110 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Runningwater I'm not an expert but according to what I have read, and see in the practice, usually the problem with the high/low impedance issue is becasue of the lack of voltage or current at the jacks, this ususally is a problem with tube amps, connected on OTL, not enough current, or with small amps running out of batteries, of small PSUs. I don't think that this amp will have any problems driving any load, it has two extremelly big PSUs capable of let the amp work with any load, it shows very good performance with the CD3000, I don't see any reason for other less picky headphones not to work fine, K-1000 aside, as usual, but anyway for sure, let's wait....
tongue.gif

I never doubt the power of RP33. To me, it's more than a monster
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #111 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningwater
I never doubt the power of RP33. To me, it's more than a monster
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Well Nik gimme a hand and answer that for me, thanks Nik. BTW he is more qualified than me for the task, he has more experience and more knowledge of Rudi amps....and have done a lot more tests....

Dec 27, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #113 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Guys - While you were talking about the RP33 - guess what popped up
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.rudistor.com/soundsystems/rr88.htm

LOL!! Thats a MAD amp!!!
eek.gif
K1000 geeks - slobber away
biggrin.gif

That one was released some time ago, before I got the RP33, it is an speaker amp, 5 Watts per channel, and just for medium to high efficient speakers, >91db not sure if it will drive the low efficiency of the K-1000 very well, I will ask Rudi about that...Not sure if he has the K-1000 to test the amp.

Dec 27, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #114 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
That one was released some time ago, before I got the RP33, it is an speaker amp, 5 Watts per channel, and just for medium to high efficient speakers, >91db not sure if it will drive the low efficiency of the K-1000 very well, I will ask Rudi about that...Not sure if he has the K-1000 to test the amp.

Come to think of it...

K1000 = 74dB/mW rms...which would imply that it requires 20mW input to sound LOUD...

Of course...this amp is 5W into 8 Ohms and the K1000 is 120 Ohms

I guess it will work...maybe not the best option but better to try

Dec 27, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #115 of 178
I have been away from my PC for most of the day playing with and listening to my Christmas presents. I just finished reading this thread and the hostility will stop now if it has not already. It does not take 10 posts to make a point nor is it necessary to be condescending. Consider this a warning; if there are any more inflammatory comments I will lock this thread and as judge and jury the person I see as an instigator will have some time to think about what they have said.

This is not open for discussion so please do not respond to this post and think about how you word your posts before you submit them.

Thank you and have a pleasant evening.

Dec 27, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #116 of 178
Quote:

I am not a man of means, although my tastes are way above what I can afford. A couple of years ago, $1300 would have been in the upper range...but now, I would consider it, a middle of the range headphone amp.
Rudistor's RP6-DQ is about $500 more, and the RP010 is about $4 grand.
The Maestro and Stealth are $3k. A modded Cary, or an Angstrom, or an Egmont is in the same range. You get my point. The amp options are tremendous, now, and so is the price range.
The problem is (and this happened to me), is that when you buy an amp that is built for 1 type of load, when you change cans, you're screwed.
I have not heard the RP33 yet, but one of it's attributes is, that it has 2 headphone jacks for a range of impedences.
GoRedwings19 has a good point of asking "how it sounds, with a variety of cans", because most of us headphone lunatics, have more than one pair of headphones...and will continue to buy and sell, until we find our "perfect" setup.
A money back guarantee, and a risk free at home trial, is a wonderful way, for us to safely try things, other than at meets, for 20 hours, and make proper decisions on expensive purchases.

EDIT: Sorry for the redundancy about the 2 jacks issue, I was writing the post while watching the Jets get killed by the Patriots, and Sovkiller answered while I was in the middle of my reply.

The problem is that most people can afford a variety of different cans, but not everyone can afford different $1300 amps. Unless you quite well off or have more disposable income then it is not an option to buy a maestro, rp010, cary all at the same time. Usually people buy an amp which they feel can handle quite a few different headphones from different manufacturers.

Dec 27, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #117 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
If I do not consider the RP010, the RP33 is for my tests the best amp in that class of price (and even twice the price). The best for Qualia, RS-1, HD 650 and CD 3000. I'm speaking after have done test and not only by fantasy...

Best!
Nicola

Nik,

Have you heard the Sony R10 with the RP33? If so, what's your verdict?
Thanks.
600smile.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #118 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
The problem is that most people can afford a variety of different cans, but not everyone can afford different $1300 amps. Unless you quite well off or have more disposable income then it is not an option to buy a maestro, rp010, cary all at the same time. Usually people buy an amp which they feel can handle quite a few different headphones from different manufacturers.

Please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't saying to buy a maestro, rp010, cary all at the same time. I was saying, with these options on the market, that $1300 is no longer a top-o-the-line amp price. I wasn't saying anything bad, about what you were saying GoRedwings19 (except that you aren't a Ranger fan
icon10.gif
).
I bought a Maestro when it was $1200 for a pair of HD600's, and then when I got some RS-1's, the low impedence didn't mate well with the SinglePower, and I had to sell the Grados. So if there are amps, that cater to a variety of loads, then that is ideal.

Dec 27, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #119 of 178
Quote:

Please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't saying to buy a maestro, rp010, cary all at the same time. I was saying, with these options on the market, that $1300 is no longer a top-o-the-line amp price. I wasn't saying anything bad, about what you were saying GoRedwings19 (except that you aren't a Ranger fan
icon10.gif
).
I bought a Maestro when it was $1200 for a pair of HD600's, and then when I got some RS-1's, the low impedence didn't mate well with the SinglePower, and I had to sell the Grados. So if there are amps, that cater to a variety of loads, then that is ideal.

It would be so cool if there was an amp that was a compromise for a variety of headphones. Maybe audio designer should consider building an all purpose amp than rather than making one amp geared round one headphone.

BTW Even if I was a New Yorker which I am not. Then I would only support the Islanders. Potvin led them to the promised lands 4 times in the early eighties.........
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #120 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
It would be so cool if there was an amp that was a compromise for a variety of headphones. Maybe audio designer should consider building an all purpose amp than rather than making one amp geared round one headphone.

BTW Even if I was a New Yorker which I am not. Then I would only support the Islanders. Potvin led them to the promised lands 4 times in the early eighties.........
tongue.gif

I think that this amp will mate well, with a variety of different headphones, BTW we have others as well, Prehead, OTL32, the Singlepower amps, HR-2 etc....and as Nik has stated that, and at least he has heard a few of the top cans.
dave, the R-10 is very similar in performance sesitivity and needs talking, to the CD3000, they do not sound alike but share the same needs, both share the same nature and more or less same impedance, My PPA sounded very good with it, I don't see why the RP33 will not, but we will see for sure in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back