Rudistor RP33 is home...!!!
Nov 19, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #167 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Wow! How damn good can an amplifier be?
wink.gif

RP5.1 is configured mainly for 650s (I think?) so it might sound little bright with Qualia's. I use it for Grado's also and I don't find it too bright at all though. Damn I'd like to hear RP33 or RPX33.

Patu, I mean RPX33 btw. The one I was listening too I just realized was indeed the Dual Mono version.

Yeah, the RP5.1 with Senn's makes sense - not Qualia's and I have my doubts when it comes to Grado's, it came off extremely bright when I listened to it (though I admit I didn't 'spend hours with it, more like 15 minutes).

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #168 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
Not to derail this thread (maybe that's too late) but I think like ALL Sony headphones, they need a very powerful amp to get the most out of them. I remember listening to the R10's through raisin's Raptor and it was very bass shy compared to the L3K. When we took the R10 over to a Singlepower amp, the bass showed up. I'm sure with even a more powerful amp like a Maestro/SDS-XLR or high-end SS amp, bass extension is not a problem. I certainly respect Sovkiller's opinion regarding the R10, it is in the top niche of headphones with its own unique signature (sweet mids, smooth hi's, and a huge soundstage).

As far as the RP33, I thought this amp was much better than the RP5.1 which seemed very bright to me. I was using my Qualia's to listen to both and the RP33 was very clean and detailed (dare I saw crisp!). I thoroughly enjoyed the experience though I didn't really get to stress it enough to give anything but impressions. I need more time with them!

What we need is a NJ Mini-Meet!
rs1smile.gif

I have heard both headphones out of very good sources and amps, including the one in this thread, and all I can tell you is that I still prefer the R-10 by a good margin, Nik will kill me for that!!! The L3000 is more similar sounding to the PS-1 IMO, a little on the bass bloated side, but the rest of the spectrum is not as sweet as out of the R-10, I feel it that way, not for me at all, to the point that I will not even try to hear it again, it is a definite closed chapter for me.....IMO if I Had the cash to go for it, I will not hesitate to go for it right now, I have tried all the high end headphone and non of them have pleased me more than the R-10.....

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #170 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor
What we need is a NJ Mini-Meet!
rs1smile.gif

Ok let's organize it!!!! My home is out of question, I have absolutelly no space for it...But I doubt that the "major league of headfi" (the NY elder headfiers...
very_evil_smiley.gif
...) Will come up to our humble NJ to bring all those goodies that we lack off to set those amps properly!!!! Anyway at least we could try......but everytime I had heard to a meeting in our area (with the exception of the Qualia store one) it has been set to at least 30 minutes driving fast from here.....
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #172 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by photobob
I can't seem to locate the page on the Rudisotor site, that has the original interior photo of the RP33-comlete with labels.

What is the copper foil piece that wraps around the pot?
I assume that it is some sort of shield.

Bob

The RP33 is now discontinued, so the page that refers to that amp was removed, if you want pics, or more info just email or PM me, I can't do it on this thread, as per heafi regulations, the email is on the Rudistor site BTW....

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #173 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I have heard both headphones out of very good sources and amps, including the one in this thread, and all I can tell you is that I still prefer the R-10 by a good margin, Nik will kill me for that!!! The L3000 is more similar sounding to the PS-1 IMO, a little on the bass bloated side, but the rest of the spectrum is not as sweet as out of the R-10, I feel it that way, not for me at all, to the point that I will not even try to hear it again, it is a definite closed chapter for me.....IMO if I Had the cash to go for it, I will not hesitate to go for it right now, I have tried all the high end headphone and non of them have pleased me more than the R-10.....

Hey Sov, I respect that. Again, I truely believe all of the high-end headphones offer a unique sonic signature and none of them are perfect (even the Orpheus). I need more time with the L3K and R10 to make a FINAL judgement but so far your R10 is my Qualia!
rs1smile.gif

As for a mini-meet in NJ, I think that might be interesting conisidering the breadth of the equipment that could possibly show up!

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #174 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
The RP33 is now discontinued, so the page that refers to that amp was removed, if you want pics, or more info just email or PM me, I can't do it on this thread, as per heafi regulations, the email is on the Rudistor site BTW....

Thanks Sov,
ygpm

I have the pdf that (I guess it was you) emailed me the other day from US operations, but there was not a labeled interior shot included with that.
Bob

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #175 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by photobob
Yes, as one Head-Fi'er has been noted as saying

"Live Long and Listen"

What headphones were you using Andrea?
Bob

I was using the Beyer DT880 and the Sony SA5000. The refined and "grainiless" highs of the RP33, matched perfectly with the sound of my Beyer DT880. I didn't have the money to buy the Rudistor, so I'm stuck with the little G&W TW-J1, which is good, but the RP33 was clearly superior (it has to be, given the price difference
wink.gif
) in tridimensionality and "finesse", not to mention "slam" and dynamics. A very good "toy"!
smily_headphones1.gif

bye
Andrea

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #178 of 178
Sov...I know who is the reason, for you not to go to the November meet, but it becomes your loss, and not his, when you didn't go.

As far as the heat issue...that could be a good thing in Northern Canada, but a bad thing in Florida. My KGSS got ridiculously hot, if not vented on the top. To put it in an 8" rack, Justin would have to add a cover with side openings. Also, with the on/off in the back, it was a watch scratching experience, just to turn it on. A lot of phono stages, and Ray Samuel's amps stay on all the time. I don't know if it cuts into the lifespan, but with electrostats, at least you know they are always ready to play.
What makes the RP33 so hot, and perhaps that is something that can be address in the RP34? As big as the Maestro is, the chassis is one giant heatsink, and it is cool to the touch. But that also might be due to a claimed 95% efficient PS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back