rudistor rp-030
Mar 2, 2011 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fhuang

Headphoneus Supremus
anyone?  it's been on rudistor website for a while but it's finally available.  couldn't find any information here.  anyone has it already or anyone thinking of getting one?  it cost 4999 big bones so i guess it's high-end?  looks like a poor man's rp1000 though

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 25
I've auditioned one in Beijing earlier this year. They are really sublime but I haven't got an opportunity to compare them with other high-ends.
The high gain jack works better in my opinion, even for phones easy to drive like the Ultrasone Ed8.
I haven't tried the balanced out 'cos I don't have any balanced phones. What a pity 'cos the dealer told me it's a fully balanced circuit design (which is normal in that price range).

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #5 of 25
For 5 grand , I'd like to see something with a bit higher fit and finish at that level. I've not heard it so it is tough to comment. The previous Rudistor amps that I have heard sounded great with ultrasone headphones but not so great with sennheiser or grado headphones. At that price I'd hold off until you could hear it, I wonder if Rudi is going to do what TTVJ did with his previous TOTL 307a amp and give it a short and carefully selected tour to get it out there a bit.

Here are the published specs, I wonder why the choice of the switching power supply at that price? Also all headphone amp manufactures really need to decide on a standard of either one 4 pin or 2 3 pin balanced config. I vote for one 4 pin but that's just me .

.[size=x-small]SPECIFICATIONS[/size]

[size=smaller][size=x-small]Maximum Output( Voltage Swing): [/size] [/size] [size=x-small]  25Vpp [/size] [size=x-small]Slew Rate [/size]>4.8VuSec
[size=smaller][size=x-small]Bandwidth[/size][/size][size=x-small]:  2-120.000 Hz  0.05db[/size] [size=smaller][size=x-small]Output Impedance: 3 Ohm to 1200[/size][/size]
[size=smaller]THD: [/size] [size=x-small]0.01% (3Vpp on 32 Ohm)[/size] [size=x-small]Gain: 10[/size]
[size=smaller][size=x-small]Input Impedance:  [/size] [size=x-small] 22 to  47 kohm[/size][/size] [size=smaller][size=x-small]Technology: Discrete Bipolar and FET transistor (no opamp)[/size][/size]
[size=x-small]Input : 1 pair RCA  golden plater  + 1 pair XLR set golden plated[/size] [size=x-small]S/N : 123db[/size]
[size=x-small]Output: [/size] [size=x-small]1 pair RCA  golden plater  + 1 pair XLR set golden plated[/size] [size=smaller][size=x-small]Dimensions (cm):  45x33x14[/size][/size]
[size=x-small]Humm Level : Not measurable[/size] [size=smaller][size=x-small]Weight (Kg)[/size][size=x-small]: 12Kg[/size][/size]
[size=x-small]Amplifier Topology[/size]
[size=x-small]4 * Class A amplification Units ( one for each Phase*Channel )[/size] [size=x-small]4 switching Power Supply followed by 4 RLC High Capacity filter[/size]
[size=x-small]All discrete, Solid State Bipolar and Low Noise Fet Transistors No Op-amp are part of the circuitry.[/size] [size=x-small]Can work on any main voltage( 100 to 240 Vac) with automatic adjustment and is totally insulated and immune by any line noise[/size]
[size=x-small]Made 100 % in Heavy Aluminum CNC machined[/size]  

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 25
My experience with Rudistor amps is that they have a high level of construction quality, solidity, pristine fit & finish, giving me no impression of cutting corners. From these pics & others I've seen online, I assume this amp follows suit in that regard. Sonically, I've liked most of the models I've heard (save for the budget balanced NX-33). I deeply miss my "lowly" NX-02 which sounded great, and a whole lot like a baby RP010. But I like Ultrasones too, so take from that what you will. Although the OTL RP7 I heard at a meet sounded great with Sennheisers.

Unfortunately, Rudi's amps don't present the best value quotient for those of us on this side of the pond. And due to lack of distributorship in the states, they have even less exposure to most of us here. Rudi seems to market more heavily to the European & Asian geographic areas, for what I can only assume are accessibility reasons.

Dual three-pin balanced connectors are more-or-less the standard set by Headroom from the Blockhead days. I'd guess there are more dual 3-pin connector balanced cables on the market & already in people's hands than the 4-pin type.

I can't comment on amp circuit or power supply design choices. Of course, anyone looking to spend that level of cash should audition first.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
I wonder why the choice of the switching power supply at that price?

That's likely for various reasons:
1. PFC. This is mandatory in the EU, and high PFC numbers are easily reached using a switched PSU.
2. Efficiency. A switched PSU often has a higher efficiency, which is about to become mandatory.
3. Convenience. Nowadays it's quite easy to create a full-range, active PFC switched PSU which will work just about anywhere in the world, making it easier for Rudi to ship it worldwide. Not to mention the lower weight, which will make it cheaper to ship.
4. Noise rejection. I know this will sound strange to some, but a switched PSU has higher noise rejection. When designed and executed well, in most cases it'll simply work better than a classic design.

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 25
Bump and subscribe for a very nice amp!

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 25
Anyone interested in reviving this thread? Anyone out there auditioned this with balanced Senns or Beyers, for example?

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 25
i contacted rudi about the lack of any reviews online for this amp, and he wrote back in broken english that there were loads and to look harder. hmmm. still no 
joy though. 6moons did a review on one of their older balanced amps and was very positive. 

What are the main options for european made fully balanced end to end SS amps? (sofar: sennheiser hdva 600?) 

May 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #15 of 25
From what I've read the 030 is on the analytical side, whereas the 010 is more musical.

I too love my PRO10BMKII and the RudiStor house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back