RSA Tomahawk - Obsolete?
Dec 14, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm keeping my 'hawk, might get a 'tang in the future though.

LOL

The 'hawk is a great amp!

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #17 of 44
I have a Tomahawk and it even drives my HD650s pretty well, I suppose that IS when coupled with a Cowon D2 which has 70mw of output power....but it is definitely a great little amp.

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #18 of 44
I just got my Tomahawk today as a pressie.. and its really really good at adding some punch to the SE530s, The main noticeable improvements with the amplification are:
1. Bass boomier, still as tight but more present.
2. Soundstage that little bit wider

If it sounds this nice now, then it seems I've got alot to look foward to 100+ hours etc

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the mustang has user selectable gain, and is smaller, and has lithium battery built in.

I see lithium battery as a con, maybe just me. But with a battery life like the Tomahawks is easier to just buy batteries. Those Lithium battery replacements can be costly (especially if you want a spare)

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see lithium battery as a con, maybe just me. But with a battery life like the Tomahawks is easier to just buy batteries. Those Lithium battery replacements can be costly (especially if you want a spare)

I've done some research and can't find any info on the P-51 battery, but if I had to guess(and that's all, just guess), it is probably the same battery as the Predator(life expectancy of some 9.6yrs on the RSA website).
I owned the Predator and used it sometimes for two weeks between charges(listening to full size cans every day).

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both amps have their uses. The Tomahawk w/ unity gain and longer battery life will keep a few users very happy. Plus it offers a wider base to lay a source on.

This is my only complaint about the Mustang It is SO small that every DAC you couple with it really hangs over the little amp. That said, though, it really is an amazing unit.

And both Mustang and Tomahawk have a place in the Samuels' lineup. So don't think either one is going away anytime soon

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #24 of 44
for a portable unit I don't think you can beat the crazy battery life though I am more then happy with the battery life of my sr-71a
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for a portable unit I don't think you can beat the crazy battery life though I am more then happy with the battery life of my sr-71a
smily_headphones1.gif

The Tomahawk is amazing with just 2-AAA batteries. The two alkalines I had before lasted almost 300 hours. I'm sure these two Lithiums will last even much longer.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Tomahawk is amazing with just 2-AAA batteries. The two alkalines I had before lasted almost 300 hours. I'm sure these two Lithiums will last even much longer.

300 hours is crazy! With those Lithium batteries it could go over 500 hours I'll guess. I used AAA Lithium in my SuperMini and they seemed to never die...I sold the amp with them still going.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

To my ears, IMHO, the SR-71A is a much stronger, fuller sounding amp than the thawk. For my money that is the one I would like to listen to day in day out. That being said I've not listened to the Mustang so I must reserve judgment on that listening experience. It seems that the general consensus is that Ray's two amps are not going to cannibalize each other. Although both shoot for the same target market there are enough differences between the two, (battery type and cost) that there appears to be sub-segments that should be able to support both platforms.

Given Ray's outstanding attention to detail and quality it looks like an interested party can't go wrong with any of his offerings.

Cheers!

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #28 of 44
I am reading this thread with great interest, as I will most likely pick up one of Ray’s amps next year. The Tomahawk & the Mustang where the two I am looking at.

As for the Tomahawk per Ray’s site
“There was a time when I didn’t care much about IEMs…..

This created a need for a good pair IEMs that can ease the pain and give the pleasure of listening to music…..

But first things first, they would have to have good symmetry with these very sensitive IEMs phones and offer a soundstage and detail that would be close to my full size headphones while having the ability to fit in my pocket.”

And the P-51 Mustang

“Headphones used for this review were the Audio Technica AT-ESW9, Kenwood K1000, and the Sennheiser PXC-350.” “By Skylab @ Head-fi.org."

So my question is if you use IEM do you get the Tomahawk and for CANs do you get the P-51?

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #29 of 44
Tomahawk - batteries you can find, or carry extra while travelling. Built almost specifically for my UE-10pros. Perfect travelling amp. Having your amp run out of juice on a long flight or drive really stinks.

Already have the Hornet with rechargable 9 volts. I do like the sound of the Hornet (M) best of my portable amps.

Have the Predator for my laptop. Really nice with my new ESW10JPN cans

Might consider the Mustang, but all my amp needs are already covered. Like what I have (already burned in too) too much to consider selling gear to buy the newest FOTM.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 44
Here's my 2 cents, after owning a Tomahawk for 2 weeks, and just receiving a Pico, both used:

First, I sold the Tomahawk after receiving the Pico, but only because I really want/need the DAC of the Pico, and I ran into a good price on #220, which looks like the day it was made (thanks Andychen!).

With my shure SE530's, the Pico might just sound as nice as the T-hawk, then again, the T-hawk might have the slightest edge. With my Senn 580's, the Pico is better. That said, the T-hawk holds it's own for a 2xAAA powered amp!

Final words - Tomahawk obsolete? Not a chance! Brilliant, wonderful, juicy, gorgeous with Shures, and likely other IEM's, decent even with my 580's, 300-400 hours of bliss from 2 x AAA batteries? I'll own another one. I'd have kept the one I had, but $ are too tight right now. I don't care how good the P-51 is (I have not had the pleasure), the Tomahawk has a place in the world. It's a fine amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back