RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Jan 6, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #211 of 723
There were some shots somewhere but I will see what I can do. Now if I can just find a camera. :^)

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #212 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, wouldn't you possibly post a pic of the innards of the Predator? Hope Ray won't ban you for this
smily_headphones1.gif

check ASR's thread with pics of predator and pico.

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #213 of 723
They were posted by Ray before the chassis was finished, and he had it naked at 3 meets:

Predator.jpg

Predator2.jpg

Predator1.jpg

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #214 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to mention that the HD650's and the Predator go very well together. Listening to piano really brings it home. The notes seem to hold in the air with a nice rounded melodic quality and weight that is what I hear in live presentation.

I am rediscovering my inner Audiophile with "the Predator".
I am thinking of Getting UM-2, which you have, How do you rate UM-2, as compared to the HD650?
I am using ER4s, love them. but I like something that is smaller so they don't sticks out.
I have also a UE SF5pro. I find them too bass Bloomy /lack of bass definition. Great for Pop. Jazz Vocal is all over the Place. is the UM-2 Like that?

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #215 of 723
Some people like the UM2's for their midrange and ok bass but they lack highs and I don't like them. I find them unexciting and uninvolving. I think there are better choices. I even like my 20 dollar OVC ear buds much better.

Jan 6, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #216 of 723
Perhaps you're using the wrong tips with your UM2s? I will admit to not having the most extended hearing on the planet, but I have no complaint with the highs on the UM2s.

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #218 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you're using the wrong tips with your UM2s? I will admit to not having the most extended hearing on the planet, but I have no complaint with the highs on the UM2s.

I have tried everything. I liked them at first but just don't care for them any longer. They are clean on the inside with no evidence of any ear wax. I will try them again with my modified tritips. I know some people like them and that is great but it is no love with me. I have seldom read that they have nice highs but like I said I will try a the modded tris again as I would be very happy if they did provide some modicum of high end sound.

Jan 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #219 of 723
Quote:

I have tried everything. I liked them at first but just don't care for them any longer. They are clean on the inside with no evidence of any ear wax. I will try them again with my modified tritips. I know some people like them and that is great but it is no love with me. I have seldom read that they have nice highs but like I said I will try a the modded tris again as I would be very happy if they did provide some modicum of high end sound.

To me they definitely have recessed highs and, yes, the modded triflanges were the best for revealing the greatest level of highs.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #220 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone, thus far, compared a burned-in Predator with a brand new one? Forgive me if this has been asked already.

Just for clarification, I want to make sure that all these talks about the burning-in of a predator refer to the amp section of the Predator provided only the Amp section is used, right? So will I have to burn in the DAC section separately? and for how long? Another 650 hours? Sounds like Ray indicates that the DAC and Amp sections are separate and isolated when the Amp section is used alone. So I've been burning in my Predator through an Ipod w/ Ipod dock means that I will have to burn in the DAC also. Please share your experience. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #221 of 723
Mainly what needs all the time, because of the low current used, is the large capacitor, large for this size amp anyway. So if you run the amp you are using that large cap and forming/burning-in that thing. The dac needs a little time but not very long, imo, so I wouldn't worry much about the amp section. If you use the dac section you are also using the amp section and there is no way around this so I just run a signal through the dac/amp but doing just the amp section should be just fine.

Jan 7, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #222 of 723
What USB to USB cables are you guys using from the laptap to the predator ?
Anyone here feels, that laptap as source is better than Ipod as source ? assuming i-tunes are used.
Thanks

Jan 7, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #223 of 723
You won't get usb out of the iPod so you have to use the internal dac of the iPod and run the line out to the amp section of the Predator. I haven't tried my iPod so someone else will have to chime in but having heard my iPod in the past with the line out compared to my Monica II would leave doubt that it would be near as good as the Predator dac.

750 hours. The Predator has developed into a very solid performer. The bass is extremely well integrated. The sound field is very transparent and the separation of voices and instruments within space is convincing in both the front to back and side to side perspective. There is a body to sound from where it emanates that occupies space. I am finding that the amp and amp/dac section both involve me in the sound and provide a natural and enjoyable layered sound.

Listening to The Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over", not a great recording but some great music, the cut "in the city", the bass feels like I have speakers in the room. Yep, booaum with quality not boom, boom, but tonal bass. (HD650's)

As an interesting side note I have been using my Tekkeon battery pack with the Predator. It puts out anything from 5 volts to 18. Of course I am using it at 5 volts, which would allow for a very long run time. It has a continuous current capability of 3 amps. With this power supply hooked up to the Predator I notice a little increase in dynamic contrast 3D quality. I have noticed this with my Monica II dac as well. The Tekkeon provides a clean DC voltage with a low resistance and for table use this is a very nice setup.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #224 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh no pun intended but did you go to audiologist to test your hearing? I find UM2 high is very rolled off and I don't have a perfect hearing. I test my hearing at least once a year.

Jan 7, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #225 of 723
Quote:

You won't get usb out of the iPod so you have to use the internal dac of the iPod and run the line out to the amp section of the Predator. I haven't tried my iPod so someone else will have to chime in but having heard my iPod in the past with the line out compared to my Monica II would leave doubt that it would be near as good as the Predator dac.

750 hours. The Predator has developed into a very solid performer. The bass is extremely well integrated. The sound field is very transparent and the separation of voices and instruments within space is convincing in both the front to back and side to side perspective. There is a body to sound from where it emanates that occupies space. I am finding that the amp and amp/dac section both involve me in the sound and provide a natural and enjoyable layered sound.

Listening to The Eagles, "Hell Freezes Over", not a great recording but some great music, the cut "in the city", the bass feels like I have speakers in the room. Yep, booaum with quality not boom, boom, but tonal bass. (HD650's)

As an interesting side note I have been using my Tekkeon battery pack with the Predator. It puts out anything from 5 volts to 18. Of course I am using it at 5 volts, which would allow for a very long run time. It has a continuous current capability of 3 amps. With this power supply hooked up to the Predator I notice a little increase in dynamic contrast 3D quality. I have noticed this with my Monica II dac as well. The Tekkeon provides a clean DC voltage with a low resistance and for table use this is a very nice setup.

Uhm May I know how this compares to Xin Reference now?

I would be very interested for curiosity.

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back