RSA **Predator** A review in stages ** With some "NEW" images on 1st and page 64 . . .
Jul 7, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #541 of 723
Webbie,

Much of the time, my Predator is being fed by my iMod, and then second most common is using the Predator with my Micro DAC with iRiver H140 or Macbook using optical output. However, the Amp section is so good that I still like the Predator driven by the DAC more than my Pico, which does have a superior DAC with better sound-staging and transparency but works better as source to me than as an amp (like you use your D1).

So yeah, I use the Predator with iMod and Micro DAC optical, which are superior sources to ANY of my USB DAC, but I can't say the Predator DAC is disappointing at all when compared to superior sources feeding the Predator amp. Yes, the DAC is not quite as good the one in the Pico, Micro DAC, D1 or D2, but for me it is close enough that if I use the Predator with it's DAC I still enjoy it very much, and the amp section is to die for.

So, I partially agree with you that there are better DAC Amps out there, but I disagree with how bad you say it sounds via DAC. I know you said "quite listenable", but "big disappointment" came right after that. I would say it is a little less open and detailed, missing a little of the ambience and micro-details of the D1, Micro DAC or Pico, but I wouldn't go as far as disappointed.

Also, to my ears the Predator, Pico and Micro DAC have more bass than the D1 DAC with 6234, 6241 or 8656 opamps. I was having to use AD797 opamps in the main amp, and use the headphone out as a DAC pre-amp out to get the right amount of bass.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #542 of 723
Interesting. I like the D1 and have had it for some time and enjoy using the optical input but the USB of the D1 imo isn't as good as the Predator. I also prefer the Boa as a usb dac to the D1 (I have tried a number of different opamps in the D1). As to a well rounded very enjoyable and musical instrument I find the Predator to be excellent with both the amp or USB and amp.

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #543 of 723
Headphoneaddict is quite right, and I have amended the original post to be more accurate describing what I intended to describe (it all came out too 'black and white' at first).

It isn't so much that the Predator DAC is in any way poor; as I have said it is good.

I think my disappointment, though, stems from the fact the Predator amp section is so very very good; in fact I have been describing it to others as the second SQ 'benchmark' portable amp Ray has created (the other being the still outstanding SR-71).

So my disappointment was really in regards to my own raised expectations from listening to the amp itself before connecting it up to listen to it as a DAC/Amp. For me that's when it returned still very good overall sound, but, as indicated, sound that wasn't as good as the Predator itself amplifying another DAC's signal. I admire Ray no end for his professionalism and dedication to this headphone world of ours and I guess I'm saying I hoped too high in relation to the Predator DAC. In fact I guess I'm hoping that if he ever is able to put the time in, then I'd say raising the Predator DAC's abilities just that smidgen more would make the Predator nothing less than outstanding.

I think most would find I'm nitpicking - and I'm willing to take that criticism. I am nitpicking. But, for me, the Predator is only let down by its 'good' DAC and the less-than-absolutely-perfect top end. Unfortunately I have heard better and, as a result, want that 'better'.
redface.gif
. I reckon if Ray tinkered a little more with this DAC/amp he'd be able to set it as a very long-lasting overall 'benchmark' the way he did with the SR-71 some years back. Oh, the Predator will remain a benchmark regardless, I fully understand that, but he's so close with this design that I just want these two niggling points improved and then I'd be safe to ignore further USB DAC/Amps from then on I reckon.

BTW, Headphoneaddict, thanks for your comments on bass. It shows you and I hear that aspect differently (and it's at these times I wish we were in the same world location so we could sit down with exactly the same rig and do notes side by side
rolleyes.gif
).

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #544 of 723
Nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

Not to get off the point to far but I think the new SR-71a will turn some heads and add an excellent quality to the portable arena, possibly redefining it.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #545 of 723
Two weeks into my Predator with around 180 hours of burn in.

I know its still early in regards of burn in but I find myself agreeing with webbie64.

Personally I am a little underwhelmed with the Predator.

Comparing it to my previous portable amp the Headamp Pico the Predator struggles in the DAC department.

The DAC is nothing more than ok, it doesn't touch the Pico in terms of drive punch or clarity, I don't want to knock anyone who has reviewed the Predator but I don't see how its DAC got rated so highly.

The Predator comes into its own when using the amp section which beats the Pico's amp.

All in all I wish I had waited for Rays new portable amp to be released.

The DAC on the Predator is a no no for me a big let down, unless burn in does something magical which I cant see after 180 hours of burn in.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #546 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC is nothing more than ok, it doesn't touch the Pico in terms of drive punch or clarity, I don't want to knock anyone who has reviewed the Predator but I don't see how its DAC got rated so highly.

That's probably because those who rated highly Predator DAC, most likely didn't use the predator with the same gear combination as you do.

In this hobby, I have learned that synergy plays a very prominent role.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #547 of 723
sound of the predator dac improve realy after 200 hours.
For me at more 500 hours, it sounds great, but i can't compare it with pico.

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #548 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

Not to get off the point to far but I think the new SR-71a will turn some heads and add an excellent quality to the portable arena, possibly redefining it.

And why do you think that? Please share your news. Thanks!

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #550 of 723
My Predator has reached 500 hours now, and the magic is definitely back! I am now hearing a more refined sound that reminds me of my mature Hornet, but is even more impressive. This change occurred somewhere between 350 and 450 hours for me. I am continuing the burn to a full 1000 hours, but I am completely satisfied with the amp now even if nothing changes from here on.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #551 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I am now hearing a more refined sound that reminds me of my mature Hornet, but is even more impressive...

I think that's a very apt description, as it was also what went through my head a number of times after listening to the Pred fully burned in.

It's got that underlying punch and drive, particularly in the bass, that first impressed me with the Hornet M. And the extra impressiveness of the Predator, to me at least, is in the even more transparent and tonally accurate rendition of the overall sound (deeper soundstage as well, due in part to improved micro detail over the Hornet M).

Jul 9, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #552 of 723
Jul 9, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #553 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I read that, thank you. The essence of that thread is that it's the same amp with a gain switch. I was wondering if there is further information that would turn my head as indicated above.

Well I thought the latest info gave it a bit more excitement and changed the "it's the same amp" nature of the thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found out that the new SR-71a is going to have vicious voltage swing of 16 volts a gain of 11, and an output of 250ma's. This would seem to be approaching home amp land in a portable. I am excited anticipating the sound that this may be very well capable of. I wonder what else will be coming down the pike? It just gets better and better.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #554 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I thought the latest info gave it a bit more excitement and changed the "it's the same amp" nature of the thread...

I'm just wondering how those specs differ from the original version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back