RS2 and RS2i opportunity
Aug 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

elcamel1216

Head-Fier
I have the chance to either purchase a pair of RS2's, the button model, for 375, or a pair of RS2i's for 445.  Both brand new. Is it worth it to shoot the extra 70 for the "i" model? Or should I save the money and get some amplification for my source (laptop and mobile devices)...

I can add a poll if thats desirable haha. 

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 11
What headphones do you currently own? I don't personally think the RS2's are as good as the RS1's, I think personally your better of getting some Grado 225's + a good amp.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 11
A shop up north shipped me two pairs of cans. A set of 225's and a pair of RS2's buttons....

I am loving the buttons but instantly noticed the difference between them and the 225's.  I like these far better, unless I just didn't give the 225's enough time...idk.

I am simply wondering if I should spring for the i model above these buttons or spend the money on some ampage.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 11
You hear it correctly. SR325i, RS2, etc. are way above the SR225. I don't understand people talking the SR225 model is so great. For me, it's better to buy the SR60 instead. Much more of a bargain. You can put bowls on them to learn their alternate personality being even more interesting to me than the SR225.

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 11
I am a Grado lover, but many of the "i" improvements were snakeoil.  I have auditioned the entire line, all pairs in their "i" and non "i" models and felt the difference was rather insignificant.  I can say without a doubt that your $70 is much better spent on a source/amp.  $375 for new RS2's is a stellar deal in its own right, so go for it!

But that's just my $70.00 :p

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
..you can close a thread?

Yep, but there's a $70.00 admin fee
wink_face.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 11
Congratulations on the purchase!  Enjoy it, and don't forget that it's the music that matters.

In the way of amps, it depends on your preferences and budget.  In the way of full-sized amps, I can highly recommend the Little Dot 1+ (~$100), and the Schiit Audio Asgard ($249).  Regarding portables, AMB's Mini^3 is very nice for its price bracket ($160 new).

It's important to note that Grados are very easy to drive, and thus a source usually takes precedence over anything else in your set up.  As far as mass-produced mainstream DAPs go, Cowons have always been an excellent choice.  Honorable mention goes out to recent Sonys players and Samsungs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back