RS-1's commin tomorrow
Nov 15, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #61 of 67
to me, the bowls take away the magic of the HP-2s, but our HP-2s aren't the same (mine haven't been tweakified by Joe), so who knows what difference that might make
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #62 of 67
Yeah, true. But im finding myself to like flats more and more. with the RS-1's they're perfect. They take the "grit" and "drilliness" out of the mids/midhighs. Yet they dont sacrifice the highs too much. I really like the flats with the rs-1!

The HP-2...well, i dont find any problems in the midrange, so i see no reason to use the flatts. And i LOVE the extension of the HP-2's, midrange definition, highs and imaging/soundstage improves 10 fold with bowls. To me, the HP-2's with the flats add this midrange conjestion, i love the hyper detail prez the bowls have with the Joe grados.

Jake, have you ever heard the mspro??? From what i remember the MSPRO never had the highs the RS-1 has... i dont know why, maybe its just a placebo thing, i just feel as if the highs on the RS-1 were way better then what i remember on my old MSPRO.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #64 of 67
Good post. Options, thats all that matters.

If i bought the RS-1 a year ago, i wouldnt keep it. Even with the bowls. But i recently bought it for the fun factor. The flatts make the RS-1 VERY thick and romantisizes everything in the spectrum.... I dont go for this prez for my main can. Hense the owning of the HP-2. But the RS-1 is my 100% fun "fuzzmaster3000" alternative. The flats bring it that really syrupy flavor i was looking for.

RS-1 for fun, HP-2 for doin it right.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #66 of 67
I have owned the the Ms-pro's and rs-1's and I tend to find the while the Ms-pro's do not have the highs of the Rs-1's which might be better for some headfiers..

The Ms-pro's bass sounded slightly tighter than the rs-1's. But the main thing was it didn't have the tonal warmth of the Rs-1's but it did have decay rate and the wood colouration of the rs-1's.

I got to be honest I don't think the Ms-pro's could be considered a poorman's hp-2's as the latter does not have the long decay rate or wood colouration of notes. To me they don't sound alike, not even close.

What they do offer is an alternative to the rs-1;s who don't like the warmth and highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back