RS-1's commin tomorrow
Nov 13, 2005 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
1 more day, thats all i have to wait.

Just purchased some new RS-1's from a fellow head-fi'er, suppose to be here monday morning. Your probably asking why would i consider these if i have the HP-2's?? Il tell you why: CONTRAST! My HP-2's will always remain the cream of the crop, and especially after Joe Grado tailored them to his own personal pair, but i am in fear of adapting to their signature.... They sound so good with the SLAM i cant pry them from my head! I had an idea to buy something with the complete oposite sound characteristics (and one that actually still sounds decent, coughnosennheisercough) and put it on heavy rotation with the HP-2 . This would make it harder for me to adapt to my gear, spoiling with the RS-1's overexagerated romanticism, then chilling it out with the natural lifelike sudo-realistic HP-2.

Anyone else own both the RS-1 and HP-2 and want to chime in on their affiar????

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 67
If my wife would ever let me get another can, the RS-1 would be it. 'Nuff Said.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 67
Good luck with the RS-1. It may precipitate a whole new round of tube-rolling, however
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 67
Well, I owned both for quite a long time. Sold off the HP-1's in favour of the RS-1 and PS-1. I don't regret this but I sure do miss my HP-1's. I will own another pair in my life-time. That said, you will have a very fun time. Expect to tube roll though. what works so well with the HP-2's may not be the absolute best match with the RS-1's.

Jahn..you sure that the RS-1's would be next on your list? What about the NEW Grados? What if they are better
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 67
I don't know what tubes your rolling with your slam, but I never heard my RS-1's sound so good out of that baby!! I'm scarded to lose interest in my other cans, when I listen to that combo, simply, a match made in heaven!!
rs1smile.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Are you staying home from work to get the RS-1's personally? I would.

I got an 8am class, as soon as its done im heading to pick them up (live in canada but use a US delivery location, saves on boarder fees
wink.gif
).

I wonder what tubes the RS-1 favors. I prefer a very quick/neutral/no fuzz tube palet. OHHHH cant wait. The thought of having 2 of grado's best phones in me'little hands
basshead.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 67
I love both.

The RS1 has an undeniable charm. It is very warm and lush. Pairs very nicely with the slam. If contrast is what you are looking for, you won't be disappointed.

The HP series is a totally different beast. I love it as well, but is much more clinical.

I think you are wise to own both.

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 67
Squeek. Its good to hear from you.

I had a run-in with the RS-1's way back when i began in head-fi, i opted for the MSPro's instead. I was looking for the nuetral king of all headphones and my path seemed to take me further away from the Reference Series. Now, that i have reached that pinnicle, i need something to keep it that way.

The sweet aint ever as sweet without the sour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back