RS-1's commin tomorrow
Nov 14, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #31 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I've heard the balanced RS-1 in the Golden Maestro, and it was Good.
rs1smile.gif
Compared to the HP2 in my Melos, that setup had amazingly smooth highs, on par with the HP2, but as you know the RS-1 extends a bit higher up there, so the end result was...better highs? Could be!
evil_smiley.gif

I didn't get to hear them on the BLING! edition, can't say how it compares to Hirsch's setup. That one was absolutely killer!
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #32 of 67
lol. i am getting so confused by this whole board! it seems no one ever(ever!) finds what they are ultimately happy with! regardless of how expensive the stuff is. curse you head-fi! lol. you guys are comparing legendary fons and finding faults. wow.

music_man.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
lol. i am getting so confused by this whole board! it seems no one ever(ever!) finds what they are ultimately happy with! regardless of how expensive the stuff is. curse you head-fi! lol. you guys are comparing legendary fons and finding faults. wow.

I have several systems I have very happy with, doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement or more toys!
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #35 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
here is the pic of the new cans, gpalmer. no clue if or when they are coming out.

What the HECK? How did you know what address would lead to that pic? Did you get behind the official site somehow to get to the personal photos he keeps on the server? Or did he release it himself? It seems unlikely that he would release pics of himself with Bugs Bunny cans? I feel like a voyeur!

Ok, assuming this pic wasn't released via hacking, I'll comment on it. Those Grados on the kids do seem to be new types of Grados, but isn't it doubtful that he would release them? After all they are circumaural in nature and John said he wasn't going that direction. Cool looking wood cups tho!

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
EdipisReks beat me to it, but yeah, they are on the main site for anyone to see!

OH. Nevermind the hacking comment then!
redface.gif

And I just read the comments in the other thread about those being made for a surround sound idea that didn't happen. So yep they won't be made for us in the future, especially if John really thinks those circumaural pads aren't right for normal Grados.

So it looks like it's just Streetstyles still, which suits me just fine!

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #39 of 67
judiging from that pic if grados keep heading in the larger is better direction..... could you imagine in 5 years wearing pringle cans sticking out of your ears? hahaha.

music_man.

edit: p.s. i'll trade all my cans for the bugs bunny cans,lol.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #40 of 67
Well. They're here.

Initial impressions, so don’t judge my opinion yet....
blink.gif
This is not what i remember them like. They dont sound thick and congested like before. I seem to remember more bass and thicker sound. odd.

Anyway, compared to the HP-2..... well, its hard. The RS-1 is good, yes, but my HP-2 blows it out of the water in so many ways. Tho, my HP-2's have new drivers and have been specially tailored by Joe Grado for the past 4 months (sounding MUCH different then my other HP-2). The RS-1, to me, sits below the standard HP-2 still (my non-altered pair). The biggest difference would be imaging. My HP-2's imaging is so precise, so dead on (you can ask loser101 who came to the Hamilton head-fi meet, he described them perfectly). With the RS-1, i sense more of a mixing across the soundstage and meld of instruments instead of a delicate placement. Its hard to isolate the instruments and pinpoint sounds, something the HP-2 gives me with no restraint.

Highs, the HP-2 seems to go UP UP and AWAY, where the RS-1 seems to go high but as if there is a ceiling on the frequency response. It has its shimmer, but it dosent have the “skys the limit” prez of the HP-2. With the RS-1 I feel as if its hiding the music, limiting to the constraits of its build. But with the HP-2, its almost as if there are no limits, no confines, no stops, Like you were not listening to a headphone anymore, thinking you were actually infront of the Opera singer as she sings to you: Goosebump-inducing reproduction if you would.

Midrange: This ones very odd. Im sensing a bump in the presentation. Midrange just sounds off when compared to the HP-2. A slight reverb effect with the RS-1’s midrange, this is the biggest thing bugging me. All horns, violins, pianos, they all have this congested rolling reverb. When I go back to the HP-2, its like a window opening in terms of midrange. With the RS-1, I find I can only listen to them for so long before the midrange just eats at my head. I did not find this nearly as much with the MSPRO.

Headstage, yes the RS-1's have this cool ability to project a Z depth, I remember this well from the MSPRO. Some recordings this works wonders, but on others its just wrong, most of them infact. I feel as if im listening to the RS-1 and not the music. This could be whats messing with the imaging and X-Y soundstage.

Bass: well, im unimpressed. I remember them having more, tho this was a long time ago, and i may have been so stunned at them then, im expecting too much. The idea that the RS-1's have more bass then the HP-2...? I do not find this at all. Not in the least bit! The RS-1's have a VERY dominant mid-bass, and fail to ever really drop anything that LOW. In some recordings, I can hear the bass go deeper with the HP-2, I can hear notes going down to the pits of hell- Tho not shaking my ears, its a very impressive portrayal of the music. A very delicate portrayal. The RS-1's just seem to show you the music, where the HP-2 seem to bring you inside the music. Overall, I donno, im not impressed. I was hopping for something else, BUT I can see why the RS-1 is popular. It does have its own sound. Now the RS-1’s are used, so they should be broken-in. Im going to give them 100 hours and check back again, overall, from what experience ive had with Johns cans, the burn-in is not going to change my opinion in anything except maybe a slight bass improvement. But, I will not make too many assumptions, I will wait and see.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #41 of 67
Congrats on the RS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got mine and I absolutely love them. I think I'm going to invest in either the HP-2 or MS-Pro for a more neutral sound and just for a change every now and then. It would be hard for me say that I could like something more than the RS-1 though!!

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
here is the pic of the new cans, gpalmer. no clue if or when they are coming out.

LOL, oh I could just see my wife's reaction if she ever saw me in those...
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #44 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Well. They're here.

Initial impressions, so don’t judge my opinion yet....
blink.gif
This is not what i remember them like. They dont sound thick and congested like before. I seem to remember more bass and thicker sound. odd.

Anyway, compared to the HP-2..... well, its hard. The RS-1 is good, yes, but my HP-2 blows it out of the water in so many ways. Tho, my HP-2's have new drivers and have been specially tailored by Joe Grado for the past 4 months (sounding MUCH different then my other HP-2). The RS-1, to me, sits below the standard HP-2 still (my non-altered pair). The biggest difference would be imaging. My HP-2's imaging is so precise, so dead on (you can ask loser101 who came to the Hamilton head-fi meet, he described them perfectly). With the RS-1, i sense more of a mixing across the soundstage and meld of instruments instead of a delicate placement. Its hard to isolate the instruments and pinpoint sounds, something the HP-2 gives me with no restraint.

Highs, the HP-2 seems to go UP UP and AWAY, where the RS-1 seems to go high but as if there is a ceiling on the frequency response. It has its shimmer, but it dosent have the “skys the limit” prez of the HP-2. With the RS-1 I feel as if its hiding the music, limiting to the constraits of its build. But with the HP-2, its almost as if there are no limits, no confines, no stops, Like you were not listening to a headphone anymore, thinking you were actually infront of the Opera singer as she sings to you: Goosebump-inducing reproduction if you would.

Midrange: This ones very odd. Im sensing a bump in the presentation. Midrange just sounds off when compared to the HP-2. A slight reverb effect with the RS-1’s midrange, this is the biggest thing bugging me. All horns, violins, pianos, they all have this congested rolling reverb. When I go back to the HP-2, its like a window opening in terms of midrange. With the RS-1, I find I can only listen to them for so long before the midrange just eats at my head. I did not find this nearly as much with the MSPRO.

Headstage, yes the RS-1's have this cool ability to project a Z depth, I remember this well from the MSPRO. Some recordings this works wonders, but on others its just wrong, most of them infact. I feel as if im listening to the RS-1 and not the music. This could be whats messing with the imaging and X-Y soundstage.

Bass: well, im unimpressed. I remember them having more, tho this was a long time ago, and i may have been so stunned at them then, im expecting too much. The idea that the RS-1's have more bass then the HP-2...? I do not find this at all. Not in the least bit! The RS-1's have a VERY dominant mid-bass, and fail to ever really drop anything that LOW. In some recordings, I can hear the bass go deeper with the HP-2, I can hear notes going down to the pits of hell- Tho not shaking my ears, its a very impressive portrayal of the music. A very delicate portrayal. The RS-1's just seem to show you the music, where the HP-2 seem to bring you inside the music. Overall, I donno, im not impressed. I was hopping for something else, BUT I can see why the RS-1 is popular. It does have its own sound. Now the RS-1’s are used, so they should be broken-in. Im going to give them 100 hours and check back again, overall, from what experience ive had with Johns cans, the burn-in is not going to change my opinion in anything except maybe a slight bass improvement. But, I will not make too many assumptions, I will wait and see.

Curious...what pads are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back